10 motif - worth it?

charchar888

May 7, 2019
I want to preface this by saying I work hard for my income. That said, I have purchased Alhambra bracelets. Now I want a matching necklace but am having trouble convincing myself to spend $7-8k for 10 motif. I'm thinking of a classic YG MOP. I know to some people, this is not much money. But these are probably the fortunate ones who can also pay $20-30k for a piece of jewelry also. Everytime I try to justify it, I think to myself, MOP material is not worth this much money! What are everyone's thoughts on why this is or is not worth the money. Does anyone wear this everyday or is it too formal?

Reactions: splurgetothemax
Difficult decision indeed! I would say, if you have savings for rainy days, indulge occasionally and be generous with yourself. It is a stunning classic piece which (to me) will never go out of fashion. Show us pics if you do decide to go for it! :smile:

I always think about how much I would wear it. What are your primary criteria? There is one 10 motif I would like but I am concentrating on other pieces that I know I would be able to wear on a more daily basis. Once I get the daily wear pieces, I will want to go back to the 10 motif. I’ve seen people who rock their 10 motifs pretty regularly. I think it’s all about the mindset.

I want to preface this by saying I work hard for my income. That said, I have purchased Alhambra bracelets. Now I want a matching necklace but am having trouble convincing myself to spend $7-8k for 10 motif. I'm thinking of a classic YG MOP. I know to some people, this is not much money. But these are probably the fortunate ones who can also pay $20-30k for a piece of jewelry also. Everytime I try to justify it, I think to myself, MOP material is not worth this much money! What are everyone's thoughts on why this is or is not worth the money. Does anyone wear this everyday or is it too formal?

This is probably why I keep mostly diamond VCA pieces or all-gold types on my wishlist and always buy the bracelets if I like a stone. Never pulled the plug on anything more than a single motif.

If I ever get a stone necklace it will likely be one of the longer ones because my lifestyle is more casual. I don’t see myself getting more than one or two.

YG mop is a beautiful classic piece to add to your matching bracelet. It’s not just the materials, other designers like T&C silver and LV canvas-is it worth 2k for a bag? For some people yes and others no. We’re all paying for the luxury brand name and craftsmanship. If you cannot stop thinking about it, go for it. Teat yourself.

Reactions: hhw and Phoenix123
So I only own 2 Van Cleef pieces- All Yellow Gold 10 Motif and 2018 Holiday Pendant. I am extremely casual (SAHM) and wear my 10 Motif a lot. Are chances high for me to own more than 1 ten motif- probably not. They are really expensive. Was it worth it for me? Absolutely! It was an amazing 5 year wedding anniversary present. It was also a jewelry bucket list type item. Would I buy it all over again? Yes, I would- assuming, of course, funds are there.

I definitely understand the concern over value, but honestly VCA and other higher end branded jewellery are priced much above what the materials and workmanship are actually “worth”. We are also paying for the rent and costs on all the beautiful boutiques in fancy locations, the marketing campaigns, the first tier designers, plus all the usual overheads of a large corporation including the healthy profit the Richemont Group takes. So it may just come down to how much you love the piece, and has been said, how often you see yourself wearing it.
If you do decide to get it, enjoy It and forget the price :P

I’m in the same boat but with the Frivole earrings in large. I go back and forth on this all the time. On the one hand, I say I’m worth it. On the other hand, I find it wasteful.

To be honest the only luxury I think is worth having now is jewelry. I’d rather spend that kind of money on a piece of fine jewelry than a bag. I think if you plan, save and don’t spend on other items, go for it. If you just can’t get over the price, don’t get it. Only you can say if you feel comfortable enough to buy it.

I’m in the same boat but with the Frivole earrings in large. I go back and forth on this all the time. On the one hand, I say I’m worth it. On the other hand, I find it wasteful.

To be honest the only luxury I think is worth having now is jewelry. I’d rather spend that kind of money on a piece of fine jewelry than a bag. I think if you plan, save and don’t spend on other items, go for it. If you just can’t get over the price, don’t get it. Only you can say if you feel comfortable enough to buy it.

Totally agree, ever since I am into fine jewelry I stopped buying and handbags (this might be too extreme). I also once believe that all the stones from VCA are not worth given their costs at all. So only Frivole collection that catches my intention from VCA.

Until my lovely SA asked me to try the Alhambra, I totally fall in love and understand why they dare sell at that costs and they are well-loved around the world. I think the 10-motif one is the good everyday piece and it is very statement with cool factor added.