Workplace Why some interviewers dont return calls?

minami

Jenn
O.G.
Aug 20, 2006
HI ladies,
I have just relocated so I am now officially looking for work..I feel frustrated when some interviewers for example, (director of a big financial firm) had an interview with me that lasted over an hour...
So when I emailed and called, he didnt even bother to reply. I dont mind if I don't get the job but I thought it's common courtesy to reply at least?
Hmmm..it frustrates me..and just wanted to vent a little.

TIA ( you guys may know how much of a hassle etc. it is to attend interviews) :confused1:

I don't think the suggested etiquette is to follow-up with both an email and a call... isn't a thank-you letter standard, especially in the finance industry? Also, depending on how much time has elasped, maybe it's not enough to make a decision. If it's a big financial firm, I can almost guarantee that you will at least get a rejection letter. I doubt any big financial firm would simply leave you hanging as to what their decision is. While smaller businesses do, big companies generally won't.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find out what their decision is soon enough... good luck!!

I just wanted to add -- "director?" As in, managing director? Gosh, he might be "too important" to call anyone back! LOL Don't take it personally.

Actually, the guy gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him to check up on the status of the job. BTW, it is a big financial firm (don't want to name names here) but we were not at his office, we were having an interview over tea...so I dont know, does that mean I was scammed? (I checked his name and position with the company as well)

I first called and when he did not return my call, I just emailed.

BTW, it has been over a month, I called after 2 weeks. The firms that I have interviewed for at least send a letter if they find me unsuitable.

Hi minami -- that sounds like a most unusual interview. I am hestitant to say you were "scammed," unless you had given him money or something... most finance interviews I'm familiar with are highly ritualized and formal, certainly nothing over tea. I'm surprised he gave you his cell phone number -- is he a family friend or a personal connection?

maybe, he was the one calling me a lot BEFORE the interview though. Oh well, I was not interviewing for a junior position, but at a lot of global firms, all staff is treated equal regardless junior or senior. I still think it;s common courtesy. Yes, I wont take it personally as I don't want to add any wrinkles etc. LOL

I dont know..I dont know him at all. I posted my resume online and he called/ emailed, acted very friendly. At the interview also, he talked a lot of personal stuff, and asked me personal stuff.. I thought he was just being friendly. Hmmm...I 've had interviews over lunch etc before but that was back home where some recruiters may call you based on word of mouth as the financial industry back there is relatively smaller and NOPE, did not give him any money LOL
don't knwo what his motive was, but his unprofessionalism makes me worried! (BTW, I m a worrier! much to my DH's consternation!)

A lot of them don't call back, expecially big companies. I know I called them just to find out that someone else got it and when I asked if they inform those they interviewed they said no.

I've had interviews where they don't call back, which I think is incredibly rude. I don't mind if they hire someone else, but I would like to at least be informed so that I'm not left wondering whether they are going to call or not. Whenever they do that it just leaves me with a bad impression of the company.

i agree but then this is when I call them, and they refuse to pick up my calls and when I leave a msg, they dont call back.
its quite unprofessional
actually, the bigger the company, the more efficient and professional they should be I think...

A lot of them don't call back or email b/c they have so much on their plate. But a courtesy call would be great (you know for closure). Good luck on the interviewing (chin up!), you'll find something great!

A lot of them don't call back or email b/c they have so much on their plate. But a courtesy call would be great (you know for closure). Good luck on the interviewing (chin up!), you'll find something great!

thanks ! i know what u mean..but i get frustrated when THEY tell me to call, then dont bother to answer/ return my call..hmmm
thanks again for your wellwishes thoough:flowers:

I dont know..I dont know him at all. I posted my resume online and he called/ emailed, acted very friendly. At the interview also, he talked a lot of personal stuff, and asked me personal stuff.. I thought he was just being friendly. Hmmm...I 've had interviews over lunch etc before but that was back home where some recruiters may call you based on word of mouth as the financial industry back there is relatively smaller and NOPE, did not give him any money LOL
don't knwo what his motive was, but his unprofessionalism makes me worried! (BTW, I m a worrier! much to my DH's consternation!)

Minami, I think you should go with your gut on this and let it go. I think something fishy went on.

I've been in corporate recruiting for large companies for nearly 15 years and I've never heard of the situation you've described...where a SENIOR person himself searches a job website, finds a resume, calls the person, meets them outside the office, AND asks a lot of personal stuff, especially at a US company (I'm assuming you interveiwed in the US since your location is San Diego). While you didn't mention the content of the "personal stuff" he asked you, any US executive knows to stay away from "personal stuff", lest they make themselves/their company liable for a discrimination lawsuit.

Typically in large companies, there's an HR/Recruiting group that handles resume sourcing, interview scheduling, etc. There are legal reasons for this in the US (legal definition of "candidate", required reporting to the EEOC on diversity candidate pools, maintaining records, etc.). Additionally, the departments have contracts/licenses for searching job sites (like Monster, Hotjobs, etc) - these have a cost. Why would a senior person (out of HR/Recruiting) have his own access to a job site? And how would he even have time to search resumes? It's actually pretty tedious.

Legitimate interviews with senior people take place in a company office (even if the candidate gets taken to lunch in the course of the interview, s/he would start and end the interviews in the company's office). And like another poster said, financial (and other large companies) have a pretty standard (and rigid) interviewing style. Interview results are documented and submitted to HR/Recruiting - and again, it's pretty standard practice (and can be legally mandated) to give equal consideration for every candidate.

Lastly, while senior people may extend employment offers to candidates, it's all documented by HR/Recruiting. His direction to you to call him for "status" is odd.

I think he was interested in talking to a pretty lady.

You could verify it by calling the HR/Recruiting department of his company and asking your status. You'll quickly learn if you're actually a candidate or not. I suspect the latter. If that's the case, PLEASE tell them what happened, so he doesn't prey on another woman again.

Good luck and let us know what happens!!:flowers: