I need help with my next Birkin

Twilight78

O.G.
Feb 3, 2008
I “need” a 35 cm black Birkin that I would mostly use to travel. My poor dh just agreed after I tortured him for quite a few days. My only dilemma is, which leather should I get?
All my Hermes bags have always been Togo, and I really would like to try something different, possibly less slouchy. I saw some beautiful pictures of Box Birkins, but the leather would scratch way too easily and, from what I understand, it’s extremely hard to get. Instead I was thinking about Swift. Can anybody tell me if it’s a wise choice considering the fact that it would probably end up under an airplane seat and kicked around quite a bit? Would you suggest any other leather? I'm completely clueless. Any help would be really, really appreciated. Thank you so much!

What do you think about chevre or epsom? I could see those leathers taking abuse and bouncing back to their glory.

Coleigh, I've seen some pics of a black epsom birkin and it doesn't make my heart sing. I'm going to check pictures in the reference thread for chevre, I've a chevre wallet and it's a lovely leather, and I've also seen a small chevre Bolide, but I've never seen a larger bag made with it. Thank you for your answer.

I don't think swift is a wise choice for a birkin to use for travelling. It's a delicate leather that is sumptuous to the touch, but I think needs to be babied to look good for a long time. Go for box, fjord, chevre or vache liegee. To be honest, all of these will not be super easy to find like togo or clemence. VL will be heavy for travelling, so my first choice would be fjord, chevre, then box. Fjord will be the best for under the seat on an airplane. Chevre can be delicate at times with dents, etc. Box, is well box. Super easy to scratch but also super easy to restore. We'll keep an eye out for you! What color hardware do you want? May I suggest gold??

Sorry I can't help with the leather info. :shrugs: Do you live near a store - can you possibly go look at the leather book or just look at the what bags they have in the different skins?

I don't think swift is a wise choice for a birkin to use for travelling. It's a delicate leather that is sumptuous to the touch, but I think needs to be babied to look good for a long time. Go for box, fjord, chevre or vache liegee. To be honest, all of these will not be super easy to find like togo or clemence. VL will be heavy for travelling, so my first choice would be fjord, chevre, then box. Fjord will be the best for under the seat on an airplane. Chevre can be delicate at times with dents, etc. Box, is well box. Super easy to scratch but also super easy to restore. We'll keep an eye out for you! What color hardware do you want? May I suggest gold??

hermesmonkey, I'm a palladium gal. I do like chevre mysore, thanks for the suggestion.

No problem Ottavia.

As far as the Barenia, it wouldn't hurt to have the SA search for it (fingers crossed) or put it on your wishlist if you are not buying tomorrow. It's always good to have two choices of leather anyway I think... :yes:

Good Luck!

Sorry I can't help with the leather info. :shrugs: Do you live near a store - can you possibly go look at the leather book or just look at the what bags they have in the different skins?

Florasun, I'm going to the Madison store tomorrow. I just like to arrive prepared in case they have something ready to offer, I do know what I like, but in the case of this specific bag, I've also have to consider its durability. Thank you!

Ottavia, Swift is a stunning leather, and I'm told it does really well with a variety of colors. That's what my SO is in. But, I'd never use it for travel. It's just too easy to scratch.

Another one I really like is Evercalf. I think it's a little better wearing than Swift. My SO Kelly is Evercalf, and, it's so smooth and soft, I want to use it as a pillow! :smile: Best of all, when it gets a little scrape, I just rub it out with a little spit.

Good Luck! :heart:

Ottavia, Swift is a stunning leather, and I'm told it does really well with a variety of colors. That's what my SO is in. But, I'd never use it for travel. It's just too easy to scratch.

Another one I really like is Evercalf. I think it's a little better wearing than Swift. My SO Kelly is Evercalf, and, it's so smooth and soft, I want to use it as a pillow! :smile: Best of all, when it gets a little scrape, I just rub it out with a little spit.

Good Luck! :heart:

Cavalier Girl, I just checked out the Evercalf in the reference library, it looks really nice!:heart: Thank you.
So many good choices!!!!!!!!
At least now I know that Swift won't be one of them. I'll keep it in mind for my next bag :graucho:.

Another vote for evercalf here.... the "resiliant box" IMO. Ottavia, you might also have a look at evergrain (yep they're different) also reasonably durable for a travel bag. :tup: