Valentino Serendipity "Mistakenly" Represented :/

missb

B is for Bags
O.G.
Jun 21, 2008
So I was browsing fbay for some deals on Valentino Garavani bags and came across this listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Valentino-H...ryZ63852QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I clicked on it cause the price fits my budget then saw that it was actually that plasticky Valentino by Serendipity bag, not V. Garavani.

The starting bid is $315 and BIN is $325.

I know for a fact that kind of bag is not worth that much money. Even $50 is over-priced already and it's not even real leather.

I actually have bought Valentino Serendipity bags on fbay for 26 bucks. As for real Valentino Garavani bags, I have seen histoire hobos on fbay for $350. Too bad I missed it :crybaby:It was such a pretty bag as well.

Anyway, the seller stated that she bought it from a friend for $500 and the friend bought it for $750.

So I couldn't help myself and write a message to the seller telling her so.

I don't know if she really did think it was worth that much money or she was deliberately trying to fool buyers who didn't know better.

Was I poking my nose where it doesn't belong by sending her that message?

Do you think she did it deliberately?

Just thought I'd share this on tPF. Opinions are much appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

:heart::heart::heart:

OMG... It sounds fishy to me. She keeps talking about the recession and how she wants a quick sale and is stable financially. I don't like it when people's stories are too long when they put up an auction, it seems like they are hiding something.

Just put, I don't use it enough. My loss is your gain. Or just give the item details. A backstory like this looks like a lie.

They just joined e-bay a few weeks ago. I think you did the right thing.

OMG... It sounds fishy to me. She keeps talking about the recession and how she wants a quick sale and is stable financially. I don't like it when people's stories are too long when they put up an auction, it seems like they are hiding something.

Just put, I don't use it enough. My loss is your gain. Or just give the item details. A backstory like this looks like a lie.

They just joined e-bay a few weeks ago. I think you did the right thing.

Hi Japskivt,

Thank you! My thought exactly. It sounded fishy. I think she's betting on buyers who're unfamiliar with Valentino bags.

When I saw it I just skipped it, but then thought - what about other buyers who didn't know and might bid / bin this item? Poor buyer might actually think she got a great deal when she's not.

That's why I decided to send her a message. Hope that would knock some conscience into her head.

I agree with you. Listings with long stories are dodgy. It's meant to divert attention from the item itself. :cursing:

...Anyway, the seller stated that she bought it from a friend for $500 and the friend bought it for $750.

So I couldn't help myself and write a message to the seller telling her so.

I don't know if she really did think it was worth that much money or she was deliberately trying to fool buyers who didn't know better.

Was I poking my nose where it doesn't belong by sending her that message?

Do you think she did it deliberately?

Just thought I'd share this on tPF. Opinions are much appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

OK, my friend. You ask for opinions, so I'll give you mine, which is an honest one given with good intentions.

I think you made a choice to send that message, that is, you could help yourself but you chose to react this way. I'm not saying is good or bad, right or wrong. It's just one of many ways to react. Here's the thing, though: If it were you and you were selling an item priced at whatever you think is either fair or whatever you think you get for it, would you receive an email like this with open arms? Probably not. You would think the potential buyer is a PITA. We've seen such emails posted here by aggravated sellers who get such emails. But, then again, it also depends on how the note was written, it's tone.

Is she deliberately trying to fool buyers? Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows? It's irrelevant. Sellers are free to price items however they want.

Were you poking your nose where it doesn't belong by sending her a note to tell her what the price of the item should be? IMO? Yes.

However...

It is possible this person has no idea what she's selling and just saw "Valentino" and assumed it must be worth big bucks. Did you check her feedback? Does it show whether or not she has previous experience with Valentino items? Who knows...maybe she's clueless and will actually thank you for letting her know she's pricing her item at a ridiculously high price.

Again, this is just an opinion. :smile:

A real Histoire is not going to cost $350. These are fakes. I sold my real Histoire last year for well over $1,000.

Pardon me, maybe I got the name wrong. Maybe it's not histoire but a tPF member addressed it as such when I authenticated it here. (She has the exact bag) It's not a satchel histoire either. It was more like a hobo/shoulder bag, like this:

3254073400_4cd50755d4_m.jpg

It was listed for $350 BIN. I authenticated it here and a member has said that it was authentic. (I couldn't get more than one member authenticating it ) But I was tight on my budget that time so I didn't get it :crybaby:

OK, my friend. You ask for opinions, so I'll give you mine, which is an honest one given with good intentions.

I think you made a choice to send that message, that is, you could help yourself but you chose to react this way. I'm not saying is good or bad, right or wrong. It's just one of many ways to react. Here's the thing, though: If it were you and you were selling an item priced at whatever you think is either fair or whatever you think you get for it, would you receive an email like this with open arms? Probably not. You would think the potential buyer is a PITA. We've seen such emails posted here by aggravated sellers who get such emails. But, then again, it also depends on how the note was written, it's tone.

Is she deliberately trying to fool buyers? Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows? It's irrelevant. Sellers are free to price items however they want.

Were you poking your nose where it doesn't belong by sending her a note to tell her what the price of the item should be? IMO? Yes.

However...

It is possible this person has no idea what she's selling and just saw "Valentino" and assumed it must be worth big bucks. Did you check her feedback? Does it show whether or not she has previous experience with Valentino items? Who knows...maybe she's clueless and will actually thank you for letting her know she's pricing her item at a ridiculously high price.

Again, this is just an opinion. :smile:

Hi Karmenz,

I appreciate your opinion. I very much expected that some will say what you said :P

The thing is, yes I made a choice and I was well aware that I was being 'nosy' when I sent that msg, but I couldn't help it. :Push:

Normally, I'd just look and pass. But then I thought about potential buyers and also thought about what the seller said in her listing that she bought it off her friend for $500.

Initially I thought she just didn't know, just like what you said, She saw Valentino and assumed it must be worth the odd $300. So, when I sent that msg, I was telling her the truths. If she deliberately did that, I hope to let her know that people do know -- and if it was actually an honest mistake, I hope to let her know that the so-called friend wasn't really a friend :nogood:

And no, I'm not a potential buyer. I do agree that a seller has the right to price whatever item she has, so in this case, I was merely telling her that it is not the market price. And yes, I checked her feedback history and no, she hasn't been selling high-end designer bags.

Ok, If I were her and got a note like that, my reaction is either shocked (If I actually bought it for $500 from my so-called friend) or pissed off (cause I knew that all along and think the person sending me this note is nosy motherf**r) :P

Btw, this is my msg to her:

Sorry for the intrusion but I just want to let you know that this Valentino bag is not worth more than 40 bucks (even if you already know it). It's not Valentino Garavani, it's Valentino by Serendipity and it's not even leather. I know cause I have bought 2 bags of the same brand for 26 dollars each - different style. I really hope you didn't buy it from your friend for $500. Good luck! Thanks!
Thanks!! :heart::heart::heart:

Ok, this is funny. The second I posted my reply, I got a message from the seller.

Here's her reply:

Haha I assumed so... no my friend gave it to me for $80.... still a rip I guess if you got yours for less than 30. so its a whole different brand? Or is it just a fake version of a real Valentino bag? Thanks! I appreciate your honesty

:roflmfao:

I was just going to say that your note wasn't obnoxious, IMO, and that based on the feedback, she probably lacks experience. But, there you have it. She got it from $80, thought she hit the Valentino jackpot, and priced it at $325. Now that she knows you got yours for $26, ya think she'll tell her friend about what she learned today? :sneaky:

If she got the names wrong then sure I would give her a friendly note saying so. I probably wouldn't go on about how it's over priced etc. I might link to the two brands were she can see the difference and determine if she did indeed mislabel it. If she still refuses to change the listing after a day or two I would then flag the listing and let e-bay deal with it.

I was just going to say that your note wasn't obnoxious, IMO, and that based on the feedback, she probably lacks experience. But, there you have it. She got it from $80, thought she hit the Valentino jackpot, and priced it at $325. Now that she knows you got yours for $26, ya think she'll tell her friend about what she learned today? :sneaky:

:roflmfao: I told her I saw the same bag I bought on overstock selling for $70, so I told her maybe it wasn't too much of a rip-off :roflmfao:

And no.... I never assumed that you thought that my note was obnoxious :hugs:

If she got the names wrong then sure I would give her a friendly note saying so. I probably wouldn't go on about how it's over priced etc. I might link to the two brands were she can see the difference and determine if she did indeed mislabel it. If she still refuses to change the listing after a day or two I would then flag the listing and let e-bay deal with it.

Hi Lula,

I didn't really go on about it. ;) The reason why I sent her that note was 1, to let her know it's not worth what she thought it was (assuming she didn't know) and 2, to let her know that people do know of what its actual worth (assuming she already knew)

hi!! found funny all these messages.. but even with a year of existence, thank god it's still on internet!! i'm leaving my "studenthood" and preparing myself for the "workinghood"...so i wanted to buy some real good bags without spending such a big amount...i ebayed!! and found this valentino's really really cheap!!! and actually a nice one...then i tought that something coundn't be right,eheh!! such a beautiful bag, from valentino, that price, no bids... that's how i found this great forum and understand everything...serendipity!! humm,different!! i'm an iniciating...where can i find some info on these things??i don't want to be fooled,so better get informed,right?! thanks!!!