thats one snuggly baby...

bagnshoofetish

Oh. Gee.
O.G.
Feb 12, 2006
heres another overdose of cuteness. its our baby wallaby. this photo was actually taken about a week ago. he's growing fast!
(and for those of you who don't know - I am an animal keeper - I do not own this animal...)

wallaby.jpg

Well give us some stats! How much does this one weigh, and what will the adult weight be? What is the gestation period for wallabys?
Too cute.

Well give us some stats! How much does this one weigh, and what will the adult weight be? What is the gestation period for wallabys?
Too cute.

glad you asked. he is a yellow footed rock wallaby. he's approximately 8 months old. he's probably around a pound or two. he will be around 15-20 lbs when mature. gestation is 1 month, whereas the peanut sized joey will climb into the pouch, attach itself to a teat, and remain there for the next 8 months. our wallaby's mommy died while he was still in the pouch hence the reason we are hand raising him. oh, and he likes quiet dinners and walks in the park.

heres another fun fact: wallaby's have what you call delayed implantation. in other words, a fertilized egg will remain in the females body and not implant itself in the uterus until the current joey has left the pouch. amazing no?

So, normally, he would have been in the pouch for a full 8 months? How old was he when his mom died?

we estimated he was about 3 -4 months old.
also, though the joeys remain in moms pouch for 8 months, at about 6 months they begin to venture out to scrounge around and jump right back in when they are done. its like "the thing that wouldn't leave...."

Last edited:
Poor little guy, losing his mom. Do animals feel sad when they lose their mom?

I think they feel vulnerable. I think sadness is felt by the more intelligent animals like the apes, chimps, etc. This joey only knows that we are his surrogate moms. I think its merciful that they don't hold that kind of sentiment. They only have a will to survive at any cost.

I think they feel vulnerable. I think sadness is felt by the more intelligent animals like the apes, chimps, etc. This joey only knows that we are his surrogate moms. I think its merciful that they don't hold that kind of sentiment. They only have a will to survive at any cost.

Interesting. So do most animals lack the part of the brain that apes and chimps have? Or is it just not developed?

Interesting. So do most animals lack the part of the brain that apes and chimps have? Or is it just not developed?

good question. I don't know. whatever the element is that gives a creature intelligence, I think that part is what can be dormant or highly developed. It would be a great thing to research. case in point, one of our tamarins just lost his mate (she was ancient) and he seems to be a little down. but in every other case this has happened, as soon as we place another partner in with a solitary one, they perk up and go back to normal. so I have to ask, is it a sentimental thing where they are missing that specific individual or is it a survival thing where they feel vulnerable being alone? the whole safety in numbers thing and such...

Last edited: