Three-year-old buys pink convertible on eBay

susan-eric

Jan 6, 2006
Three-year-old buys pink convertible on Internet
Tue Sep 26, 7:31 AM ET

Jack Neal briefly became the proud owner of a pink convertible car after he managed to buy it for 9,000 pounds ($17,000) on the Internet despite being only three years old.
Jack's mother told the BBC she had left her password for the eBay auction site in her computer and her son used the "buy it now" option to complete the purchase.
"Jack's a whizz on the PC and just pressed all the right buttons," Rachel Neal said.
The seller of the second-hand car, a dealer from Worcestershire, central England, was amused by the bid and agreed not to force the sale through.
"Luckily he saw the funny side and said he would re-advertise," Neal said.

the seller looks like he took it really well though :biggrin:

But it made me really question it actually.

You wonder what would happen if he had wanted to pursue it? who is actually in the right, as she has pressed the button on a supposedly legally binding contract? or is there a cooling down period, just wondering out load really.
I love those little pink figaros too :biggrin:

such a typical excuse, "My kid bid on it." I don't feel sympathy to those who do use that excuse. You cost me fees, and you're usually lying through you teeth. What key words did this kid put in to pull the listing up? I doubt a 3 year old could put words together on a keyboard to pull up a pink covertible :rolleyes:

and why is that news???

I can't find the completed auction...:confused1:
Do you know when this happened..?

The search for 'pink convertible car' yields results as far back as the 13th Sep and that's only for Barbie cars...:wlae:

Understanding seller though, if this really did happen!:yes:

i probably wouldn't have believed it either... but if they e-mailed really quickly straight after the BIN i'd be more inclined to believe them or be understanding at least than if they bid, then left it a week and after that told me they didn't want it.

How did the child actually do a search for the car? I wonder if mom was looking at the car first and left it on the screen??? Glad the seller was understanding. For those large dollar amount purchases, the fees must be so high!

How did the child actually do a search for the car? I wonder if mom was looking at the car first and left it on the screen??? Glad the seller was understanding. For those large dollar amount purchases, the fees must be so high!
That is what I wonder, how did the child figure out how to do a search for the car? Oh well, everyone seems happy with the outcome :shrugs: .

the seller looks like he took it really well though :biggrin:

But it made me really question it actually.

You wonder what would happen if he had wanted to pursue it? who is actually in the right, as she has pressed the button on a supposedly legally binding contract? or is there a cooling down period, just wondering out load really.
I love those little pink figaros too :biggrin:

Generally speaking, a minor, especially a 3 year old, cannot enter into a legally binding contract. Most contracts with minors are unilateral meaning that they are enforceable by the minor against the individual who is of legal age to consent but the opposite is not true unless someone of legal age has co-signed. If you want to play it safe, its best to NEVER EVER enter into any transaction with someone under 18 unless there is a parent/guardian willing to secure/co-sign the transaction. I totally have relatives who have bratty teenagers that have bid on stuff on ebay, not even entirely understanding what they were doing, then successfully retracted their bids after the auctions closed.

That's just weird to me..it just reminded me of this thing I saw on the question and answer part of someone's auction once lol:
"Q: I accidentally bid on it, I don’t want them.
A: Accidentally? How does that happen? Bidding on something is a 4 step process. You need to accidentally go to hell."

I don't know either. It could go both ways. I understand perfectly! Recently I got up and went to the bathroom to turn my water off- which was overflowing out of my garden tub! My teenage daughter decided to put it running, yell at me about it as she was going out the front door, and ofcourse- I forgot! Anyway, I freak out, run for all the towels I can possiblely grab, throw myself on the floor and wipe-wipe-wipe. Minutes later I walk into my livingroom & what I see? My 1 & 3 year olds both had pulled them each a chair to my computer. They were on their knees- my 1 yr.had the mouse moving it around the pad & my 3 yr. was pointing to the screen telling her something in their language. And yes I was on Ebay, about to purchase a camera for daddy. The kind that takes pics of the deer in the trees during hunting. They saw the pic of the deer and I guess it got their attention. All I caught in their conversation was baby talk & the word dada. So, it possiblely could happen. I am just glad they didn't stop directly on the bid button. Children observe you-( the parents) -on a daily basis. What they see you -mommy & daddy do- they want to do too!
But if the lady really did bid & changed her mind- Shame on her!
~ONLY GOD KNOWS!!~