Price Justification?

I must admit I did think a year or two ago about getting an Hermes bag, again, someday, and that would be the endplace of handbags! However, one just didn't end it at all!

LucyndSkywDmnds said:
Couldn't have said it any better. I've joked with Greentea about this before but IMHO, when I think of a Kelly I think of "old money" and pure class. When I think of a Birkin, I think more about "nouveau riche" but I still it oozes class--with an edge. Probably not a fair comparison but you catch my drift!
I totally agree with You and Greentea. I've seen so many Aristocratic ladies around Europe of all ages with their Kellys...some really old and worn which, IMO, adds even more charm to these bags.. Birkins I see more on younger, and , yes more "nouveau riche" kind of people; but also "trendy" young Aristo's... I love both for different reasons..!!;)

I think it's fair to say we have our own reasons. I don't think it's fair to say that we all share the same motivation. I've been to Florence, and did not find a purse that appealed to me. This forum, the vastness of it, speaks to the different tastes of purse lovers.

here's a way to determine what the real motivation is for buying an hermes -- strictly hypothentical, of course, but if one is honest with oneself in answering the questions the motivation should be clear. lets say you are given a birkin. it is gorgeous! you have another birkin that you purchased directly from hermes and this bag is everything that bag is and, what's more, it is your dream bag -- it is exactly the color, leather, hardware, size you have always dreamed of owning. you carry the bag for awhile and love every minute of it, the quality is fabulous. then you find out it is not an authentic hermes, but that it is made from materials obtained from the same source by a craftsman trained in the ways of hermes. would you still love the bag as much? i'm not talking about the resale value, i'm asking about how you feel about the bag. ? the quality is identical, the bag is of no less value in terms of the materials and workmanship put into it, and it is the one that you style fanatics adore. you've still "made it" -- the cost is the same, and the bag is so perfect in every way that no one will ever know that it isn't hermes. only you will know. are you still happy to own it?

here's another hypothetical: let's say you have $7,000 that you can do anything you like with -- this is a one-time deal and you will never again have this much money to spend at will. you have an opportunity to spend it on a birkin of your dreams, or you can donate it to a relief organization that you know will spend every cent directly on food and medicine for those who will die without it. for those of you who claim that owning an hermes bag makes you feel good about yourself, which of these two scenarios will make you feel the most good about yourself? do you think that owning a $7,000 bag is sufficient to sustain the high or do you need another one to continue to feel good?

i am not posing either of these fantasies in order to pass judgment -- i am very interested in this particular topic and thought that perhaps they would be helpful (and hopefully entertaining) exercises for those of you who find it interesting as well.

Interesting perspective.

However, in your first scenario, it would not be a "birkin" unless it was authentic Hermes. Anything else would just be a copy or fake. And it would not hold the same value to me as the "real thing" because its hard to imagine any company that takes as much time to hand-make one handbag, and ensures that the handbag is made to its perfect standards. The quality control of Hermes is unrivaled. I will also be the first admit that I also love the fact that Hermes is so hard to get, it isn't like I can just walk into a boutique and hand pick my favorite color/leather/hardware combination. It is the thrill of the chase- the harder it is to come by, the more we want it. With any other handbag, I can easily walk in and get it. Or simply get on a waiting list and obtain it later in the season. Not so with Hermes. For these reasons, I just can't say I would feel the same about a bag that I believed was Hermes, only to find out it is an excellent copy. Although grateful for the gift, I would still hunt for my real birkin.

As for the second scenario- I am one that would probably take the $7000 and put it towards a birkin, or possibly towards my son's college fund because I already give money on a regular basis to charities. However, lets say I was not as charitable as I am- and $7000 was a one time deal- I will be honest and say that I would give some to charity, and use some for myself. I don't think there is anything wrong with treating yourself once in a while- and it can be just as rewarding to treat yourself as it is to be charitable. Both can make you feel exceptional. And that is why BOTH are so important in the proper perspective.

getahat, i don't think the first hypothetical works at all. if it has hermes stamped on it to initially convince you that it was hermes, and then it turns out to be fake, that is, not from hermes, then i wouldn't enjoy it because of the fraud. a fair hypothetical is what if you were walking and saw in a store window a magnificent bag that just stopped you in your tracks. you went in to look at it and it was made with superb quality, of exceptional materials, just felt like heaven and you loved it, would you pass on it because it was not hermes, despite your feelings. here's the thing, even with that scenario that i propose, it is as flawed as your first one because we are still only talking about the product and not the company. hermes will repair/recondition their bags. there are no other bags that have an institution behind them like that (in addition to the other details). if i bumped into 7k i would run out and buy a kelly immediately. the one i want is definitely under 6k, so i would give the rest of the $$ to my best friend who has less shopping money then i do. i would continue to support the agencies i support (in an admittedly small way - but it's what i can afford monthly) and use my vote to support politicians who share my values, and i would frequently feel like a bit of a heel because i spent the &$ on my purse, but the truth is that i would do it.
(also, as i don't want a birkin, i would be really pissed in the first scenario that it was fake because i wouldn't be able to sell it/return it for the bag i would want. lol).
one more thought - if a friend of a friend of a friend was an hermes craftsman and could make me my bag without "hermes" anywhere on it, but identical to the specs, with hermes material, for half the price and could guarantee me eternal service for the bag through hermes, i would buy it in a heart beat (if i had the $$).

If I have the extra 7K I would give the money to my Grandmother, who needs the money to pay for a caretaker. My family (parents, sister, and I) are paying for it right now but it's very expensive and since my parents are not there with my Grandmother, my uncle's wife had decided to just leave her at one of those horrible hospitals with an inexperience caretaker who can't even speak the local's language. My Grandma has Parkinsons and can no longer move, I think she needs more money than anyone close to me and I would give money to her before I consider any other agencies. I don't care if I get flamed for not choosing charities as my first choice for the 7K, for me family always comes first.

Sorry if I come across a little strong ... Talking about Grandma tears me up.

Kou I am so sorry about your grandmother! I know how expensive at home care can be- and how stressful caring for someone who is ill. Your grandmother is very lucky to have such a loving family!!! (Not to mention such a stylish granddaughter!) And I agree, nothing is more important than Family!

okay...you guys are not getting the point here. these are hypothetical situations. the charity scenario is this--you have $7,000 and you can spend it in only one of two ways, buy a birkin (or whatever hermes bag is your thing) or donate it to a worthy charity. period. you will never have any money at any other time in your life to either spend on an hermes, or to donate to charity. this is a one-time thing.

the first scenario could be a flawed challenge, but in the SPIRIT of the exercise (which is to make a choice, not pick apart the details) is this: if you have a bag that you believe to be your dream hermes bag and then find out later that it really isn't, will you still love it?

there are a million ways to get around addressing the premise in both scenarios, but if you do that you are not really trying to identify what is important to you. the resale value, the fact that it would never happen because only hermes can do things a certain way, the fact that hermes will repair the bag, all of these issues are beside the point. try this -- the bag is of equal quality, equal price, equal value, the maker is a brilliant craftsman and will repair the bag for life -- whatever quibbles you can come up with, this bag is equal and no one will ever know that it is not hermes. ever ever ever. there is nothing about the bag that is any less beautiful or of less quality than the hermes you already own, and it is the bag of your dreams. do you love it as much as the real hermes?

getahat, i don't think the first hypothetical works at all. if it has hermes stamped on it to initially convince you that it was hermes, and then it turns out to be fake, that is, not from hermes, then i wouldn't enjoy it because of the fraud. a fair hypothetical is what if you were walking and saw in a store window a magnificent bag that just stopped you in your tracks. you went in to look at it and it was made with superb quality, of exceptional materials, just felt like heaven and you loved it, would you pass on it because it was not hermes, despite your feelings. here's the thing, even with that scenario that i propose, it is as flawed as your first one because we are still only talking about the product and not the company. hermes will repair/recondition their bags. there are no other bags that have an institution behind them like that (in addition to the other details). if i bumped into 7k i would run out and buy a kelly immediately. the one i want is definitely under 6k, so i would give the rest of the $$ to my best friend who has less shopping money then i do. i would continue to support the agencies i support (in an admittedly small way - but it's what i can afford monthly) and use my vote to support politicians who share my values, and i would frequently feel like a bit of a heel because i spent the &$ on my purse, but the truth is that i would do it.
(also, as i don't want a birkin, i would be really pissed in the first scenario that it was fake because i wouldn't be able to sell it/return it for the bag i would want. lol).
one more thought - if a friend of a friend of a friend was an hermes craftsman and could make me my bag without "hermes" anywhere on it, but identical to the specs, with hermes material, for half the price and could guarantee me eternal service for the bag through hermes, i would buy it in a heart beat (if i had the $$).
\

hi heels -- you do actually address the real question and have answered candidly, and i do understand the disappointment you would feel if the bag's marking say one thing and it is actually another, but in all honesty, this is your DREAM bag, every bit as beautiful as an hermes. would you never be able to get over the disappointment? what if your friend could make a bag identical to your dream kelly and would repair it for life, and resale is not of importance to you -- again, everything is equal -- but the bag did not have anything identifying it as hermes AND it cost only $500 less instead of half the price, which would you choose?

. That is really odd that they have their own farms, i wonder if the Hermes Cow's are actually in a pasture or do they have classy stalls? kidding of course.;)

Kiari....actually, they kind of do! The cows that are bred for the skins are kept in paddocks that have bo barbed wire femcing, and no trees etc so they can't scar their skin. The croc farm in Australia have the pools that the crocs are kept in polished and painted smooth so the baby croce don't scratch up their bellies (the part that the bags are made from).......so...yeah.....they are more expensive skins for sure, and Hermes are very picky - they sometimes turn down an entire batch of hides because they are not up to standard.

:smile:

It's fascinating, huh?

oh, and second scenario....I would donate the $$ to charity. Just my personal thing.

first scenario....no, It wouldn't be the same to me without the name. Perhaps I'm shallow (what do you mean, perhaps???:lol: ) but I pay for the name as well as the craftsmanship...........

Hmmmmmmm.....hot topic........I'd have to say (and maybe this is nowhere near the point you're trying to make, Getahat) that anyone who can afford to buy a $7K handbag is usually a person who also gives to charity. Now, if you don't normally have $7K in your posession and win a lottery or something then I can't see buying the bag OR donating to charity. You'd probably spend it on something you really, really need.....not a bag OR a donation.

And really, that's life. :shame: :flowers: