In Need of Expert Advice on Birkin Sizing

jeyatlin

O.G.
Jul 3, 2008
Hi everyone! I've recently acquired 'H' fever and have been trying to collect as many things possible within my budget. I was surprised recently with the honor of placing an order at the July podium and didn't know how to respond to the question "And what size would you like your Birkin to be?" So here's where I stand right now:
LOVE the size of my Lindy 34. I truly like the boxier bottom and the length of the handles.
LOVE the size & shape of my Bolide 37. I just wish it had more depth to it like the Lindy. I also love the fact that both the Lindy & Bolide have straps just in case you want to hang them on your shoulders... very handy when chasing a 18 month old toddler!
I'm not 'in love' with my Birkin 30- I feel that the handles are too short for me and when I wear it, I feel like my forearm is about to crush & stretch out my straps.. not really describing it correctly, but it just doesn't sit well like the Lindy or Bolide does. But I do love the shape of it though the size could be a little larger...
So, since acquiring multiple birkins just to see which size suits me best isn't quite within my budget, which sizes do you think I should ask for next time? I'm contemplating the birkin 35 or HAC 28 or 32. I do have a 35 on order but recently have seen a slew of HACs and thought maybe next time... or would a JPG shoulder birkin work as well? I'm about 5'3" and a US size 12.
Also, would it be hard to ask for a shoulder strap to be added to a Birkin order?
Thanks in advance for your advice:smile:

If you find the handles of your 30 Birkin too short you will not be happy with an HAC as the handles are even shorter. 35 Birkin would be my suggestion.
Or perhaps another Bolide?
Or what about a Kelly???

There are rumors of a redesigned shoulder bag (birkin or kelly?) to be released for the SS09 season. I think a JPG would be a good choice, but I'm not sure if they're making them for podium anymore, so you'd probably have to chance upon one by luck. I agree with the other posts that a HAC would be even more annoying than a birkin. It sounds like a 35 is the right birkin size for you, or a Kelly.

There are rumors of a redesigned shoulder bag (birkin or kelly?) to be released for the SS09 season. I think a JPG would be a good choice, but I'm not sure if they're making them for podium anymore, so you'd probably have to chance upon one by luck. I agree with the other posts that a HAC would be even more annoying than a birkin. It sounds like a 35 is the right birkin size for you, or a Kelly.

Would that be the Jypsiere or So Kelly?

Thanks everyone for your input! Ok, no on the HACs then. My SM said that the JPG is really heavy and that if I really wanted it, she could order it, but that she didn't think I'd like the handles flapping around.
I really like the look of the Kelly, but I'm still not sold on the inability to keep the bag 'open' for easy access. Do Kelly owners out have have any insight on this? However, I am open to getting a smushier Kelly bag with the canvas strap- any advice on a good size for me?
And is it a good idea to ask my SA or SM about the resigned shoulder bag? Or would they find this inappropriate?
Thanks again for all the responses. You are all so kind to help:smile:

You should think about a 35 Kelly, that would probably suit you. The Kelly is not *that* hard to get in and out of. It just takes a little practice. I don't use the straps, I just secure the flap with the turnkey. The good thing about a Kelly is that you don't leave it open, hence it is more secure. If you close the Birkin, it's as hard/easy to get in and out of as the Kelly.

I would go with a 35 Birkin. The JPG is being redesigned for SS'09 so the old style is no longer available for PO/SO. If you're really interested in this style, have your SA check the inventory in other stores.

A smooshy 35 Kelly w/ a shoulder strap is another possible option as well.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Hello2703 & hermes_lemming- You've twisted my arm... Ok, so maybe a smushy 35 Kelly. I'll have to ring my SA to see what she can do. I'm loving anything in Raisin or Indigo at the moment, so maybe I'll get lucky...

Monica- I've tried both the Kelly So & the Jypsiere in Paris a few weeks ago. The Kelly So covered too much of my torso & I didn't like the way the Jypsiere sagged at the bottom with stuff in it. So I'm still waiting for the perfect shoulder bag!

... I really like the look of the Kelly, but I'm still not sold on the inability to keep the bag 'open' for easy access...

i think i saw a pic of Julia Roberts with the Kelly open (using shoulder strap) -- could that be?
i'm planning on ordering some kind of strap for my yet to arrive vintage kelly 35 and carrying it that way when i travel, so i can be hands-free.
i will follow your thread to learn more; thanks for asking about this!;)

i think 35 kelly would be ideal- it is not terribly complicated to get into and is versatile, strap or no strap if you prefer. there are some nice 35's out there recently, good luck!