interesting: paypal/ebay scam?

glammm

Jun 27, 2008
I won an item for $1200.00, emailed seller to set up payement arrangements. I check my inbox and their is 3 emails. One is "from paypal" saying that the sellers account is blocked and that I need to pay using a Money gram [YA OKKK], second I get an email message looking like it was from the seller as a reply to my message saying that her account has been hacked and to send payment to this other address in the same city, then thirdly I get another message from "ebay" saying the same thing.

Now, the seller hasnt even bothered to invoice me for this item and her item ended over 5hrs ago. Secondly, I am positive this is one of those scams ie. second chance offers etc.

How do I report the 3 emails to ebay and paypal? I feel nervous about this transaction now. This isnt the best way to start off on a $1200 transaction. The seller is a tpf member, but I mean who knows.

What are your suggestions?

Yeup, those are all scams. In the feedback forum you also should "report a problem" with the listing and choose the appropriate options. Than file a claim.... I think it is called Non-performing seller.

Are the emails through ebay from the seller? Or from someone else through your email? Have you emailed the seller through ebay directly inquiring about these emails? they may not be aware. A buyer once contacted me through ebay saying they were recieving emails to complete the transaction out side of ebay. I told her not to respond and to forward the emails.

^ Yup - I've had this happen as well.

I've also received these "second chance" emails when bidding on an item and the auction hadn't even ended!!

I would contact the seller via ebay and ask about an invoice. If it's only been 5 hours, she may be at work, away from the computer and will send the invoice later. It's very likely s/he is unaware of the multiple scam emails you are getting. That's one reason for making auctions private and/or hiding bidders names.

Forward all the other emails. if you check the "header" you often see that they do not originate from ebay or paypal, but rather a gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc account.

Look let's face it ,some of the smart scammers are on tPF and they are reading everything here and learning how to scam better. It means nothing to sign up on tPF. Or else they can just say they are on tPF, to make buyers trust them more. I would ask for their tPF id and then send them a PM. That way you will have tPF ID if they are on the up and up or not.
Wait, the seller is a tPF member? Did you ask her for her tPF name and check her out? This all sounds very suspicious, to say the least...

Last edited:
Another scam is they send messages that are from something like "ebay..com" (using two dots instead of one dot.) Or "eday.com". These look real if you are not paying close attention to the return address. The scammers really have their ebay graphics down! They look real! Also if it doesn't show up in your Ebay "My messages" as being officially from ebay, it is NOT from ebay!

quote=yvalenz;7667275]^ Yup - I've had this happen as well.

I've also received these "second chance" emails when bidding on an item and the auction hadn't even ended!!

I would contact the seller via ebay and ask about an invoice. If it's only been 5 hours, she may be at work, away from the computer and will send the invoice later. It's very likely s/he is unaware of the multiple scam emails you are getting. That's one reason for making auctions private and/or hiding bidders names.

Forward all the other emails. if you check the "header" you often see that they do not originate from ebay or paypal, but rather a gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc account.[/quote]

thanks gals, I fwd the emails to paypal and ebay. But, these scammers must think I am an idiot because they are still sending me these messages. I finally heard from the seller and she is legit and trustworthy. But, wow, I just cant believe that these scammers send multiple emails and the sad thing is to the unsuspecting buyer this can seem legit and they may send the money gram with no hesitation.

I almost want to reply to them and say F___ off!!!