I don't know if I can say goodbye

christylou

O.G.
Dec 28, 2007
I think it's getting close for me to have to make the final decision for my dog, Clyde. He's almost 14 and is fairly healthy, except he has lost the feeling in his hind legs. He struggles a bit when getting up and laying down and isn't as fast and active as he used to be. Long story short, when I came home from work today he was laying down and wouldn't get up. I helped him to his feet, took 2 steps and fell down. I know what I need to do, but I just don't think I can. I know what the right thing to do is, but I don't think I can go through with it. I had to put my 2 cats to sleep last September and December, which was the hardest thing I've ever done. For some reason it's different with Clyde. Every night I go to bed and pray that if it's his time, please let him go during the night while he's sleeping. I just don't know if I can be the one to make this decision. It's so easy for me to impart words to others going through this, but when it comes right down to it, I just have such a hard time taking my own advice. I definitely don't want him to suffer; he doesn't deserve that. Here's a picture taken last month. Thanks for listening and sorry for the rambling. I'm crying and typing and not really sure what my thoughts are.

DSC00786.jpg

Oh sweetheart, there are so many of us here that know exactly how you feel, we know that your heart is breaking and we have all prayed for our beloved oldies to pass peacefully in their sleep in the hopes that we don't have to make that most awful decision. And eventually they will pass of their own accord, but how?
I know this is painful for you, but you have to have courage and know that you are doing this for your old darling, not to him. After the wonderful life you have had together, what a blessing it would be, if in his final moments, he had your loving arms around him. Don't say goodbye, say "I'll see you later ... at Rainbow Bridge".
What a lovely old man he is.
Big hugs, be brave.:heart:

Last edited:
Hon, we know exactly what you are going through, how it hurts so bad and you feel so awful.
I am convinced of this: animals don't care how long they live, as they don't have the perception of time like we do, but they do want to feel good and to be able to enjoy life. When the time comes that they don't feel good, the most unselfish thing we can do is ease their way to the Bridge.

^^Good advice. Is Clyde in pain? For me, that's the deal breaker. My little Lucy (IG) died in her sleep, the night before I had the appointment to euthanize her. Talk about timing! I will say it made this AWFUL situation more bearable...so I hear where you're coming from. You will make the right decision. :crybaby:

I'm so sorry to hear this. If he's not in pain and just can't use his hind legs, perhaps you could look into those little wheelchairs? I've seen lots of dogs using them and they seemed happy.

The love you have for Clyde brings tears to my eyes. This is one of the most difficult responsibilities we have for the animals who give us so much. I believe you CAN do the right thing for him when it's necessary.

Do it for him, as hard as it is. We are here with support when you need it.

Thanks for your kind words. He's not any better today, so I think I may have to do something tomorrow. I layed down on the ground with him earlier and just looked into his eyes. I think he knows it's time and feel like he is telling me it's okay. I don't know............... All I know is I don't want him to be in any pain, yet want to know that I'm doing the right thing. I suppose I could second guess my decision until the day I die and will never have an answer. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for your kind words. He's not any better today, so I think I may have to do something tomorrow. I layed down on the ground with him earlier and just looked into his eyes. I think he knows it's time and feel like he is telling me it's okay. I don't know............... All I know is I don't want him to be in any pain, yet want to know that I'm doing the right thing. I suppose I could second guess my decision until the day I die and will never have an answer. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.
Dearheart...I think you will know when it's time and you will feel peace in your decision. I feel so bad for you. :hugs:

Hello neighbor (I'm in Phoenix)! Oh how I know how you are feeling.`My kitty was only 6 1/2 when she became ill and I had to put her down. It was awful!! It is so heartbreaking. My sympathies to you!! Animals have such basic needs and when the basics of life are taken away I truly believe that is when they suffer. So if your poor baby can't walk and is in pain. My kitty stopped eating because of a liver condition. I was selfish though I tried to force feed her and eventually had a feeding tube inserted (drastic and unfair I know - I did what I thought was right at the time). My poor baby couldn't even enjoy her food - a basic of life. Now that I think back to it I - I made her suffer way too long. Oh man I feel the tears forming... It won't be easy for you but it will get better! I promise. Surround yourself with animal loving people and take care of yourself. You'll see your baby again. He'll always be with you! Take care!!

I know how you feel -- my dog and cat died within just a few months of each other (best friends -- guess they just needed to be together). Can you have a friend or family member take care of the mechanics for you? I know it's small comfort, but for me it helped a lot.

Please keep us in your thoughts tomorrow, as I'm taking Clyde to the vet to see if there's anything I can do short of putting him to sleep. I will not force him to suffer, he just doesn't deserve that. But if there's anything to keep him comfortable and functioning, then it's worth a try.

Thanks for the recommendation, article3, about having a friend or family member take care of things for me, but I feel like I need to be there for him even in th end. I hate the thought of seeing him go, but I need to be there holding him and whispering in his ear telling him how much he was loved and will be missed.

Please keep us in your thoughts tomorrow, as I'm taking Clyde to the vet to see if there's anything I can do short of putting him to sleep. I will not force him to suffer, he just doesn't deserve that. But if there's anything to keep him comfortable and functioning, then it's worth a try.

Thanks for the recommendation, article3, about having a friend or family member take care of things for me, but I feel like I need to be there for him even in th end. I hate the thought of seeing him go, but I need to be there holding him and whispering in his ear telling him how much he was loved and will be missed.
Christy...you will be in my thoughts today. Prayers and hugs.

I'm sending you prayers for strength and peace. It sounds like Clyde is telling you it's ok to let him go now, but share how you feel with the vet. Most of them are very compassionate.