Purchasing a bag from an overseas seller

Apr 21, 2007
I'm in the US. I have never purchased a bag from an overseas seller. Could someone, please, explain how duty charges are handled? Is there anything else I need to take into consideration?

Thanks.

It depend on your country :smile: In some country, tax would be 10% from the purchasing amount but usually buyers ask to declare item in low amount and mark as a gift to refuse from killer custom charge. In Australia, buyer will get free charge for purchasing until approx. USD 900.

it depends on how much the seller declared the item when sending it. if you asked the seller to declare it at the lower price then i wouldnt really worry that much about the costs but if its a high-priced item, i would look it up at usps.com

as a seller myself, i never lie about the cost when i sent it internationally.

It depend on your country :smile: In some country, tax would be 10% from the purchasing amount but usually buyers ask to declare item in low amount and mark as a gift to refuse from killer custom charge. In Australia, buyer will get free charge for purchasing until approx. USD 900.

LV godiva do you mark lower on your customs forms? I have had many buyers ask for this and wondering if anyone ever had problems. Also ever had any problems shipping to south korea or singapore?

I've bought from the UAE and looked at a bag from GBR. The UAE transaction was fine, but the cost for customs from Britain was ridiculous (~$150), so I skipped that. Just ask the seller to find out the customs charges using their shipping method. FOr what it's worth, the UAE bag came FedEx and there was a 1 day delay for paperwork but otherwise everything was very smooth.

I've bought from the UAE and looked at a bag from GBR. The UAE transaction was fine, but the cost for customs from Britain was ridiculous (~$150), so I skipped that. Just ask the seller to find out the customs charges using their shipping method. FOr what it's worth, the UAE bag came FedEx and there was a 1 day delay for paperwork but otherwise everything was very smooth.
It doesnt matter where the bag comes from. Customs is worked out where the bag is delivered..

Just ask the seller to find out the customs charges using their shipping method.

it's virtually impossible to work out customs charges beforehand, the best you can do is an estimate. it might slip through without any charge, or they might decide to charge for everything they possibly can. i've never had a good answer from any shipping service i've tried to ask beforehand, they can't predict what customs in another country will do, all the can do is tell you what their brokerage fee is.