Birkin for grad school?

sometimes restraint gets you further in the long run. yes sure get it if you want it. however--no offense to anyone--there are a lot of people on here who do not work and have no concept of the real working world. you dont just always wear a chanel suit or a 6 carat diamond or a birkin because you can or because you can afford it or because if "you love it go for it." people are jealous, insecure or just plain dont have the money and there are certain things that are best kept out of certain environments. its a judgment call in every situation..................i have had people ask me why i work because they see what i have on occasion. is it rude yes..........thats the world whether others verbalize their thoughts or not

In some ways it can be too flashy, but whatever you feel is right will be right. When I was earning my undergrad I went to school dressed to thrill even though the school was the furthest away from fashion. Now I'm in fashion school, so it's like a fashion show everyday. It honestly depends on what will make you feel comfortable and happy.
Oh Fidm[?] I go there.. :lol: so true!

I disagree. If you can afford it, I think you should do it. I don't believe in stifling your personality so you can fit in with others. Though very obviously not blonde, I was known as the "Elle Woods" of my law school and remained that way even when I was studying for the bar. That didn't affect my performance or what anyone thought of me. I was that way before I started so I didn't see any reason to now all of a sudden wearing runners and backpacks to conform to everyone else's standards of what's acceptable grad school wear. I carried LV, Burberry, Prada, and Gucci in law school (though my main "bookbags" were nylon Longchamp). Obviously a Birkin is a cut above those mentioned, but I say go for it if it won't interfere with your finances. And also have a practical alternative on days when you need to carry a lot of books and papers, etc.

I am the same. Either people thought I was weird or fabulous because of what I wore in school.... I know my classmates will most likely discount me anyway based on what I wear, but I refuse to dress "down" just because other people dress casually. I do not dress for other people. And those who judge solely based on what someone wears is much shallower than the person who carries a birkin....

Just to share this with you....

I never considered myself privileged until I went off to college at a public school (all my previous life I spent in private schools). Needless to say, it was an eye-opener. Many students and my close friends included couldn't even afford plane tickets home to see their parents during Thanksgiving or Christmas. Every textbook purchase was a huge burden to them, and many had to work part time after classes to come up with daily spending money or to start paying off their loans. They had to squeeze in study time during breaks! So it was obvious to me that I didn't want to wear my designer bags or flaunt my worldly possessions to showcase the wealth disparity.

I'm sure you mean no harm with your innocent idea, but just be mindful that your birkin costs someone's semester' tuition.

I think there's a right time and place for everything. I'm also sure that you'll feel more at ease carrying your birkin in front of your wealthier friends and family. Perhaps when you come home for vacations. For social events and special occasions. Personally I do not enjoy showing what I have to people who have none.

To me, school is a sacred place. It's where innocence and hope and ambition is fostered and well protected. The real world will kill these values any chance it gets.

I say no again. But it's really your call.

I am the same. Either people thought I was weird or fabulous because of what I wore in school.... I know my classmates will most likely discount me anyway based on what I wear, but I refuse to dress "down" just because other people dress casually. I do not dress for other people. And those who judge solely based on what someone wears is much shallower than the person who carries a birkin....
:tup: I love your philosophy. Don't change for anybody!!

well. let me get my point across again. the reason why i wouldnt suggest using it as a grad school bag is it's heavy. i use mine as a diaper bag now and i think it's quite bad for the arms and imagine stuffing books in there.

if you dont mind the weight of it, go for it! you will receive plenty of compliments!

This is what I am trying to figure out, whether it will be too heavy for me....

I would not use it all the time. I would rotate my bags based on outfit.

As for the other comments, the program is only 20 people, mostly men (and from what I've seen in similar programs at similar schools), the people are not particularly interested in fashion. I'm not carrying it to show off (if I were, I would wear/carry logos), I just think it is chic and would work well with some of my classic, preppier outfits. I do not think the birkin is a flashy bag but because of all the press and attention, it is hard to determine whether it is stealth wealth or "flashy" now.... Guess it depends on the environment....

This is what I am trying to figure out, whether it will be too heavy for me....

I would not use it all the time. I would rotate my bags based on outfit.

As for the other comments, the program is only 20 people, mostly men (and from what I've seen in similar programs at similar schools), the people are not particularly interested in fashion. I'm not carrying it to show off (if I were, I would wear/carry logos), I just think it is chic and would work well with some of my classic, preppier outfits. I do not think the birkin is a flashy bag but because of all the press and attention, it is hard to determine whether it is stealth wealth or "flashy" now.... Guess it depends on the environment....
I don't think it is a flashy bag. I think it is stealth wealth...even with all of the publicity it has received. Many people wouldn't recognize a birkin on sight. They may have heard about it, but don't know what it looks like.

You are obviously asking this question as you have concerns yourself. That should be a sign already!! There are many other bags to carry during grad school. I did carry H in grad school....heck I carried H in undergrad, but not birkins. Whatever you are comfortable with makes sense. There was no way I would be able to use a handbag with a handle though...simply not enough hands to carry all my papers/books. If you are comfy with it, go for it.

Just to share this with you....

I never considered myself privileged until I went off to college at a public school (all my previous life I spent in private schools). Needless to say, it was an eye-opener. Many students and my close friends included couldn't even afford plane tickets home to see their parents during Thanksgiving or Christmas. Every textbook purchase was a huge burden to them, and many had to work part time after classes to come up with daily spending money or to start paying off their loans. They had to squeeze in study time during breaks! So it was obvious to me that I didn't want to wear my designer bags or flaunt my worldly possessions to showcase the wealth disparity.

I'm sure you mean no harm with your innocent idea, but just be mindful that your birkin costs someone's semester' tuition.

I think there's a right time and place for everything. I'm also sure that you'll feel more at ease carrying your birkin in front of your wealthier friends and family. Perhaps when you come home for vacations. For social events and special occasions. Personally I do not enjoy showing what I have to people who have none.

To me, school is a sacred place. It's where innocence and hope and ambition is fostered and well protected. The real world will kill these values any chance it gets.

I say no again. But it's really your call.

I do wonder about this, and I don't want to make people uncomfortable in this way.... Part of me is trying to decide on how practical a birkin will be; the other part of me is trying to figure out this problem. The school is Ivy League, and I kind of feel it will be a similar environment that I am used to in school (meaning a rather privileged but academic environment). Not the same program, and very different mentality on many levels, but I have definitely seen birkins carried around on my current campus....

if the cohort of students in the class is small (20?) and you need to work closely with them, then it's best to first size up the dynamics of your relationship with fellow students before you "birkin" up.

It could turn out that for practical reasons, you end up needing a bag with a sling and in which case a birkin wouldnt serve your purpose, stealth wealth or showoff concerns notwithstanding...

You are obviously asking this question as you have concerns yourself. That should be a sign already!! There are many other bags to carry during grad school. I did carry H in grad school....heck I carried H in undergrad, but not birkins. Whatever you are comfortable with makes sense. There was no way I would be able to use a handbag with a handle though...simply not enough hands to carry all my papers/books. If you are comfy with it, go for it.

My big concern is whether it is "flashy" or not.... I carry very cheap bags all the time if I like the style. I am more interested in fashion and how an overall outfit works than signaling wealth. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am not a snob and really don't want my classmates to think that based on one bag....

Why not??

I would love it if i saw a birkin being carried by someone on my course!!! =) It would definatley bring a smile to my face!!!

Go for it! But i agree with others, have a back-up for heavy book days!

Grande Latte definatley has a good point though!
Hmm it's tricky, it sounds like you are at a high class university, so would a birkin seem out of place?

If you must have an H bag consider a shoulder bag option? Your arms and back will be killing you shleping around a Birkin with books in it... I personally used a backpack.... It just worked best and saved my back as well...

Hmm, it's my experience (based on having me and DH at a variety of schools) that no matter the class of the undergraduate population at a particular school, whether it's Ivy League or public, the graduate population tends to be a lot more diverse, classwise--because good graduate schools can afford to fund their graduate students, no matter their financial means, but that support is still fairly modest. I guess, basically, it's the sort of thing where you should get a sense of what the environment is like before you make any impressions you can't undo, if you are concerned about what others think of you.