Help me choose please - Bottega or Hermes

LostInBags

Feb 10, 2008
I am a 35 year old male and am in the market, finally, of buying a nice bag for myself.

After much browsing the web over the past 4-5 weeks, looking at 1000's of bags, I have finally narrowed my choices down to the following 2 bags:

Bottega Veneta (This will only be available from mid April, 2008)
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]13"W X 17"H X 9"D (this is from the website, I assume it is 17"W x 13" H and the shoulder strap has a 18" drop)
$ 4,250

[/FONT]

0434927216013_275x275.jpg
0434927216013_A1_275x275.jpg

and a black Birkin 40 or 45
(I think pictures are not really needed here...)

I just cannot make up my mind between the two. I know from a money point of view, the Bottega would allow me to have something left.

I would love to hear comments on the above 2 choices ? I am sure some of you will ask why not messenger bags (I hate the typical bags made for men). So is the Bottega much too feminine to 'get away' with compared to the Birkin?

Thanking you all in advance - James

I like both, but they're two totally different bags- the Bottega is less structured and easily obtained, whereas a Birkin is more rigid, much, much harder to get, and nearly twice as expensive. Of the two, I'd definitely have to go with the Birkin though.

FYI they no longer make the Birkin 45cm.

I like both, but they're two totally different bags- the Bottega is less structured and easily obtained, whereas a Birkin is more rigid, much, much harder to get, and nearly twice as expensive. Of the two, I'd definitely have to go with the Birkin though.

FYI they no longer make the Birkin 45cm.

Oh well, bummer.. :smile:

Excuse my ignorance though, can you explain what you mean with a bag being 'less structured' ?

Thank you all for your comments so far!

I think the Bottega is too feminine for a man. Having had both brands, I use my Birkins as "daily" bags since they can really hold a lot and withstand wear and tear. The Bottega woven leather is much more delicate and I don't think could withstand typical male use. My vote is for a Birkin 40 in a rugged type of leather, with palladium or ruthenium HW.

I think the Bottega is too feminine for a man. Having had both brands, I use my Birkins as "daily" bags since they can really hold a lot and withstand wear and tear. The Bottega woven leather is much more delicate and I don't think could withstand typical male use. My vote is for a Birkin 40 in a rugged type of leather, with palladium or ruthenium HW.

Thank you tweetie - that is very valuable advice! Even though I would surely treat a Bottega as delicately as possible ;)

Excuse my ignorance though, can you explain what you mean with a bag being 'less structured' ?

Structured meaning rigid, as in the Bottega would be more soft and "malleable" if you will compared to the Birkin, which generally doesn't "slouch" as much (unless you get a softer leather like clemence or swift).

How do you plan on using the bag? Is it going to be an everyday bag that carries magazines/water/etc? If so, I'd go with the Birkin. I really like BV, but that particular BV looks like it has very slim straps which would cut into your shoulders once it gets heavy.

Please forgive me if you've already seen this style, but C_24 in the BV forum has this bag (I think) in a TDF blue, and it looks fantastic on him. I'm not sure of what your bag requirements are, but I just thought that I'd mention it.

How do you plan on using the bag? Is it going to be an everyday bag that carries magazines/water/etc? If so, I'd go with the Birkin. I really like BV, but that particular BV looks like it has very slim straps which would cut into your shoulders once it gets heavy.

Please forgive me if you've already seen this style, but C_24 in the BV forum has this bag (I think) in a TDF blue, and it looks fantastic on him. I'm not sure of what your bag requirements are, but I just thought that I'd mention it.

I wasn't on planning on using the shoulder strap very often. It will be an everyday as well as a travel bag which I am not planning on filling to the top (mobile phone, MP3 player, camera, wallet, passport, book). When light enough, I would use the shoulder strap. Whenever I travel, I have a trolley bag on which I would rest the bag if I need to walk far in airports (hence not using much the shoulder strap if it should get on the heavy side).

I saw the bag you linked to, thank you - but as I said, I have looked at 1000's of bags and I am drawn specifically to the BV and the Birkin.