Counterfeit handbags

bisousx

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
Does anyone else take an interest like me in researching about counterfeit handbag industry? I started looking into how counterfeit bags are produced and how it affects our economy (and the world economy) after several acquaintances expressed their opinions about buying expensive handbags and how they don't see anything wrong with buying a fake since they can't afford it. Sometimes I don't even bother trying to explain the little details of why buying counterfeit bags is wrong, especially since half the time I can't remember the details of how it funds terrorism (and other facts) since these topics are usually brought up while shopping or at dinner and it's the last thing on my mind. I just end up saying something along the lines of, I'd rather spend more money and not feel guilty that it was made in a sweatshop in China. What are your thoughts on this, and what would you say to someone who tries to make you feel bad about buying luxury items?

Does anyone else take an interest like me in researching about counterfeit handbag industry? I started looking into how counterfeit bags are produced and how it affects our economy (and the world economy) after several acquaintances expressed their opinions about buying expensive handbags and how they don't see anything wrong with buying a fake since they can't afford it. Sometimes I don't even bother trying to explain the little details of why buying counterfeit bags is wrong, especially since half the time I can't remember the details of how it funds terrorism (and other facts) since these topics are usually brought up while shopping or at dinner and it's the last thing on my mind. I just end up saying something along the lines of, I'd rather spend more money and not feel guilty that it was made in a sweatshop in China. What are your thoughts on this, and what would you say to someone who tries to make you feel bad about buying luxury items?

Last week (I believe) NPR did a show on counterfeit handbags and other designer items. It implicated the Italian Mafia in having a huge hand in it and showed how designers turn the other way because they (the Mafia) are so powerful. It also described how other terrorist groups use income generated from counterfeit goods to fund their "cause". What was really interesting to me was that they stated that the Italian Mafia get their goods from the same factories (in Italy) that produce the genuine products and designers are too afraid to react. Go onto npr.org and read it.

there's a lot of threads about this. . . I am still able to access our search system I may merge this if I have time to look.
I'll mvoe this to Handbags since this isn't a Chanel specific topic.

I just end up saying something along the lines of, I'd rather spend more money and not feel guilty that it was made in a sweatshop in China.

The problem with that argument is that a LOT of stuff is made in China, not just fake handbags. So they could easily come back and ask you if you research the manufacturing process for your clothes, furniture, appliances, etc. to ensure they're not "sweatshop" too.

The argument/logic I'm most likely to use when I'm in a situation where I don't have the "facts" in front of me is that it's stealing and it's tacky. The counterfeiters steal designs to make those bags, and the designers don't see a penny. I wouldn't buy a TV stolen from someone's house; I'm not going to buy a fake handbag, either.

The problem with that argument is that a LOT of stuff is made in China, not just fake handbags. So they could easily come back and ask you if you research the manufacturing process for your clothes, furniture, appliances, etc. to ensure they're not "sweatshop" too.

I think the definition of "sweatshop" is a little different for the counterfeit industry. "Indentured servitude" seems more like the accurate description for the labor involved in counterfeit industry. From what I've read and researched, because a lot of counterfeit industry is linked to gangs, a lot labor is forced, I believe. Even worse than the "sweatshop", can you imagine that? :tdown: A lot of child labor too.... Just really sad...