E-check taking forever to clear

cpster

Jan 7, 2007
I'm not sure if my buyer is a faker or what's going on. Auction ended on 1/3, buyer sent through an e-check payment on the same day that was supposed to clear on 1/8. I just checked the transaction on Paypal and now the expected clearing date is on 1/22!

Does this mean the first time Paypal tried that there were insufficient funds? I kinda think this buyer may be a deadbeat since he wanted express shipping right away to an unconfirmed address. I wrote back explaining that his e-check didn't clear yet and how I would have to refund his payment once it cleared anyway and he would have to pay again after confirming his address. I got a few emails back from him, but he hasn't responded to my last email from a few days ago.

I guess I'm wondering if I should just file NPB, or if I even can since the e-check is pending.

Thanks.

ughhh... Never seen that before. You might be on the right track. I would call Paypal and ask if they have any insight they can offer. For sure they won't be able to tell you bank info - but MAYBE they can indicate why the delay was extended. :shrugs:

The echeck did not clear and now Paypal is going to wait until the 22 to charge it again. You should contact the buyer first and then call PayPal if the buyer says there's enough money in the bank.

Ugh, that sounds like what happened to me once. I sold an item to someone, their echeck remained uncleared for about a week, then ended up being cancelled. I contacted her once it was cancelled to see what happened, she didn't know (I'm iffy on this though) but she paid me again directly from her account. It makes me wonder if she wasn't just buying time to pay.
Anyway, do contact the buyer about this.

^I'll look but it seems like they'd be able to, just like you can put a stop payment on an actual check.

ETA: This isn't related to this but may be related to your problem...
Q: When I make an eCheck payment, when will the money be debited from my bank account?

A: PayPal sends the request to your bank immediately. It can take up to four business days to complete an electronic funds transfer.

If your bank initially declines the electronic funds transfer, the payment can be delayed for up to an additional seven business days. In this case, the Expected Clearing Date listed in the recipient's transaction history is updated to reflect the new date.

Ok, this may relate to the canceling of an echeck:
Q: Can I cancel a payment that I've already sent?
A: You can cancel only unclaimed payments. If your payment is complete, please contact the recipient of the payment to request a refund.

Unclaimed payments can be canceled for the following reasons:
A payment sent to an email address is not associated with a PayPal account. Once the email address is added to a PayPal account, the payment is automatically credited to the balance of that account.
A payment is sent to a recipient with an unconfirmed email address. For security reasons, PayPal can only credit payments sent to a confirmed email address.

If you cancel an eCheck payment or Instant Transfer, PayPal cannot cancel the withdrawal from your bank account. The amount will be credited to your PayPal account balance.

I paid by echeck once by mistake and then inmediatly paid the seller with my cc card, but the neither of us was able to cancel the echeck, I knew it wasn't going to clear so when the expected day came and didn't, PayPal set a new date but after a couple of days it got cancelled by itself.

I payed by echeck once, my first time using paypal. I wasn't trying to scam anyone just didn't know how to pay. It took about 2 weeks :shrugs: Everything went smoothly though!

I payed by echeck once, my first time using paypal. I wasn't trying to scam anyone just didn't know how to pay. It took about 2 weeks :shrugs: Everything went smoothly though!

There is nothing wrong with an eCheck. :smile:

The problem here is that it was showing scheduled to clear within 5days and then that number was bumped out to a total of 17days... Something went wrong when the check was attempted to post the first time... I have never sent an eCheck, however, as a seller I have accepted them without a problem-knock on wood. :yes:

This happened to me recently. It took about 10 days to clear, which I thought was unusual. But, thankfully it did clear and the transaction went smoothly. Maybe you should just sit tight.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I hope that the buyer will repsond to my latest email. I asked him to cancel it since it was coming through with an unconfirmed address anyway. I also said if he really wanted the item to let me know and I would send out a new invoice. I hope he's legit.

You are all so helpful!

Dear buyer. Your e-check did not clear. I require payment within 7 days of auction close. Please pay for your item with a credit card and cancel your e-check. If you do not pay by another means, I will relist the item. Thank you.