How can I avoid orange bronzer?

butterflyblob

The Shallow Academic
Nov 9, 2007
I have fairly pale skin with a lot of pink undertones--the "English rose" complexion, more or less. I've tried a lot of different brands of bronzers and they all end up making me look orange. Is it the brand or am I just applying it wrong? I'm not gifted with makeup by any means and I don't typically wear foundation or blush, just eye makeup and lipstick.

If you are real pale most bronzers will go orange or that odd brick color on you, I speak from experience as I am roughly the color of goat cheese. I have had pretty good luck using a liquid bronzer from Clarins, but I think you need to go to the counter and test them so you get the best color. Good luck!

It is just trial & error. Go to Sephora where you have the ability to try on as many bronzers as you like & I am sure you will find one that is suitable for you. It took me years to find the right one for me

It's totally trial and error. I'm very fair as well - Scandinavian blood to thank for that. Benefit's Hoola looked awful on me - I looked like an Oompa Loompa. I'm using Nars Laguna now, but very, very sparingly - like a tiny dab on a big brush for my whole face. Before that, I used a bronzer by Cargo that was good too.

Sephora is definitely the place to go so you can try a bunch of different ones and see which one works best for you. But if possible, go outside into natural light with a mirror before you buy one so you can see how it REALLY looks!!

I use Stila shade #2 and it does not get orange as it wears through out the day.I swirl the brush and then tap it before I apply. I then take Bobbi Browns Face Blender brush and dry brush all over my face just to make sure I was not too heavy handed.

It is just trial & error. Go to Sephora where you have the ability to try on as many bronzers as you like & I am sure you will find one that is suitable for you. It took me years to find the right one for me

^ ITA! :yes:

My one sister is very pale/yellow-toned and I'm medium/peachy toned. We can never wear the same bronzers, but she can wear the ones that look orange on me and vice versa. It's the strangest thing!

I can wear Too Faced, Cargo, Benefit, Smashbox, Pout. My favorite is Cargo bronzer in medium; whenever I wear it people tell me I look tan! But I absolutely can't wear BE Warmth or St Tropez or I look like a rotten carrot. I just had to buy and trade or return lots of products to figure this out! :smile:

I agree you just have to test a few out before you buy one that works for you. Sometimes it helps to just put a little on instead of a lot. I use a big fluffy powder brush to apply bronzer. It doesn't pick up a lot of the bronzer so it's just a light dusting on my cheekbones. Sometimes if you apply a lot it tends to look more orange than if it is only a little.