Things to do in Richmond, VA

I may be visiting Richmond, VA in the near future. Can anyone give me any ideas or things to do while I'm there? Fun or famous attractions? Things to do both in the daytime and night? Places to eat that I shouldnt miss? Thanks!

Will you have a car available to you?

I'm not sure what's available in Richmond precisely, but you will be fairly close to the Williamsburg settlement and not to far from Jefferson's home. Virginia is FULL of stuff to do. Do an internet search for tourism and Richmond VA and I'm sure you'll find tons to do!

When I went out to Richmond last year I went to this really nice outdoor mall. It has a Nordies (not upper ends, but nice) and a lot of boutiques. I can't remember what it's called, but I think it started with an L and it took me forever to find it. I got lost.

Richmond has a couple of nice malls-- one is very high end and has loads of designers...
If you are into the outdoors there is a beautiful river and my friend often canoes there.
It's a cute city and the buildings are interesting. There are also some nice restaurants. I'm sure you'll have a blast!

I am from Richmond and have lived there most of my life!!! Feel free to PM me.

The best malls are Short Pump Town Center (Nordie's) and Stony Point Fashion Park, which has a Sak's, LV, Cole Haan, Betsey Johnson, Coach, MAC, and others.

For eating out I recommend Shockoe Slip and for clubbing, Shockoe Bottom. Lots of fun places to go in those two areas, which are close together. They are old warehouse districts. The Fan District is also pretty cool but more spread out.

There is a very nice Omni Hotel right there in Shockoe Slip and across the street is The Tobacco Company which has a great restaurant and a club in the basement. Also there is the Berkley Hotel which I have heard has a spectacular restaurant.

Things to see: There is the Virginia Museum, the White House of the Confederacy, the Valentine Museum, Hollywood Cemetery...if you have a car a short trip down Route 5 will take you to several plantation homes which are open for tours.

Have fun!!

The Jefferson is a very elegant hotel, I forgot about this one. The staircase is said to be the model for the famous one in the movie Gone With The Wind---the one Rhett carries Scarlett up for a night of mad passion, and then she later fell down it and had a miscarriage.

Another from Richmond- thought I'm a transplant, and I've only been here for 14 years. I think a lot depends on what you are into- shopping, history, the party scene, music?

Maymont park is a great place, which, while a little colder right now, is beautiful. Especially check out the Japanese gardens there. For shopping, definitely Stony Point(my favorite- has a Saks with a Chanel and Gucci boutique, and a stand alone LV next to Saks) and Short Pump Town Center (my second favorite store is there- Nordstrom!).

I'm not so big on Shockoe Bottom and Slip- if you are into the party scene, they are great. However, Bottoms Up Pizza in the Bottom is a yummy, Richmond-only thing to do. I'm more particular to the Fan area and the restaurants there (Carytown is a GREAT place for shopping AND eating). Strawberry Street Cafe is one of "the" landmark restaurants there that a lot of people consider a must see.

If you're looking for something relaxing, Nesbit Salon in the Fan on Main Street is one of the best known salons in the area. It can be a little pricey, however, and is a bit on the snooty side (I got my hair done there for YEARS, and they are STILL uppity with me after the thousands I've spent there).

The Jefferson is a great place, and even if you don't stay there, just stop in for drinks. It's worth it just to sip coffee or cocktails in the lobby lounge.

If you haven't been to Williamsburg before, and have time, definitely take a quick side trip down there. Merchant's Square has some great shopping and dining (as in The Trellis, home of Death by Chocolate) and is at one end of the main part of Colonial Williamsburg. It's also a lot of fun to eat at the taverns (King's Arms is by far the best, though you need to make reservations if you want to have any chance of eating dinner there).

Umm..if I think of anything else I'll post that too :smile:

I just moved to Richmond two months ago!

I'm still learning the ways of the city, but definitely check out Carytown for great boutique shopping (Jetset is my favorite).

Depending on when you're in town, be sure to check out the Richmond Ballet. I attend shows regularly and they're fabulous.

I just went to Williamsburg last weekend. I know others have already mentioned it, but it's a fun place to visit.

I just moved to Richmond two months ago!

I'm still learning the ways of the city, but definitely check out Carytown for great boutique shopping (Jetset is my favorite).

Depending on when you're in town, be sure to check out the Richmond Ballet. I attend shows regularly and they're fabulous.

I just went to Williamsburg last weekend. I know others have already mentioned it, but it's a fun place to visit.

I used to take an aerobics class with the girl who owns Jetset-definitely a very cool shop!