Funny People With Serious Problems

caitlin1214

tPF Bish
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
(from ABC News Entertainment)

Comedic actor John Goodman, best known for his role as Dan on the sitcom "Roseanne," has revealed in a statement that he has checked out of rehab after being treated for an undisclosed reason. "For my family and myself, I voluntarily took the necessary steps to remain sober the rest of my life," Goodman said in the statement, issued by his publicist Stan Rosenfield. It's unclear for how long and for what reason the actor was treated.

While Drew Carey is currently riding high, the soon-to-be "Price Is Right" host wasn't always so happy. In an interview with "Access Hollywood," Carey revealed that he was depressed during his teens and early 20s and twice tried to commit suicide by swallowing pills. But Carey doesn't sympathize with fellow funnyman Owen Wilson, who recently tried to take his own life. "It's going to sound cold, but I wasn't reading the paper going 'Oh poor guy,'" he told "Access." "I was thinking, I hope he's learning what he is supposed to be learning from this whole experience and not wasting the opportunity to learn."

Emerging from his car a week after his reported suicide attempt, comedic actor Owen Wilson wasn't quite the mild-mannered, shaggy-haired funnyman from "Wedding Crashers" and "Zoolander" whom audiences know and love. The actor recently revealed his darker side when he was admitted to a Los Angeles hospital after reportedly taking pills and slitting his wrists. An unnamed source told the entertainment show "Extra" that Wilson had been depressed for the past few months but insisted his depression was not over a broken relationship. Wilson was last reportedly involved with actress Kate Hudson, but the relationship ended in June.

From 1992 to 1997, Martin Lawrence's show "Martin" ruled the sitcom circuit. But he was also plagued by problems at the height of his success. In May 1996, Lawrence was detained by police after wandering in the middle of an L.A. intersection, ranting and raving with a loaded handgun in his pocket. The next year, a month after divorcing from Patricia Lawrence, his wife of 20 months, he was served with a restraining order after she told a judge that he threatened to kill her and her family.

John Belushi helped define "Saturday Night Live" when he joined the show as an original cast member in 1975. Three years later, he launched the trend of the raunchy college comedy with "Animal House." But in addition to his intense, obnoxious comedy, Belushi was known for his drug abuse. His career was cut short in 1982, when he died of a drug overdose at the age of 33.

Attachments

• nm_goodman2_071018_ssh.jpg
    nm_goodman2_071018_ssh.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 30
  • ap_drew_carey_070926_ssh.jpg
    ap_drew_carey_070926_ssh.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 37
  • x17_owen_070904_ssv.jpg
    x17_owen_070904_ssv.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 21
  • ap_lawrence_070827_ssv.jpg
    ap_lawrence_070827_ssv.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 24
  • ap_belushi_070827_ssv.jpg
    ap_belushi_070827_ssv.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 24
Dave Chappelle's sketch-comedy show "Chappelle's Show" quickly became one of Comedy Central's biggest hits when it debuted in 2003. That year, Chappelle signed a $50 million deal with the network to produce two more seasons of the show. But in April 2004, Chappelle abruptly walked away from the show, disappearing for weeks before revealing he was in South Africa. Some speculate drug abuse or a mental breakdown caused Chappelle to abandon his contract, though in a February 2006 appearance on "Oprah," he said stress and pressure from network executives forced him to quit.

Jim Carrey's slapstick performances in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective," "Dumb and Dumber," and "The Cable Guy" have made fans fall out of their seats laughing. But in a 2004 interview with CBS News' "60 Minutes," he revealed that his brand of comedy comes from a childhood filled with anger and anxiety. Carrey said he still suffers from bouts of depression and treated it with the antidepressant Prozac for a long time. Since making a name for himself in comedy, Carrey has shown off his serious side in films like "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind."

Like John Belushi, Chris Farley became a household name thanks to "Saturday Night Live," where he became a cast member in 1990. Farley stole the show playing characters including the over-the-top motivational speaker Matt Foley and a Chippendale's dancer. But his obesity and substance abuse got the better of him, contributing to his death in 1997. Coincidentally, Farley died at the same age as Belushi, 33.

Friends of comedic actor Phil Hartman, who gained fame on "Saturday Night Live," were shocked when they heard of his death. The "NewsRadio" sitcom star was found shot to death in his home in 1998 in an apparent murder-suicide with his wife of 11 years, Brynn. Police were not able to determine a motive, but a recent public feud between comics Jon Lovitz and Andy Dick has suggested Brynn had a serious cocaine addiction in the 1980s and had relapsed a month before the tragic event.

"Suddenly Susan" comedic actor David Strickland suffered from bipolar disorder and often turned to drugs to cope with his highs and lows. In 1998, he was arrested for possession of cocaine. A year later, at the age of 29, after a reported three-day drug binge, Strickland was found in a Las Vegas hotel room, having hanged himself.

Attachments

• ap_strickland_070827_ssv.jpg
    ap_strickland_070827_ssv.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 19
  • ap_hartman_070827_ssv.jpg
    ap_hartman_070827_ssv.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 18
  • nm_farley_070827_ssv.jpg
    nm_farley_070827_ssv.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 23
  • ap_carrey_070827_ssv.jpg
    ap_carrey_070827_ssv.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 16
  • ap_chapelle_070827_ssv.jpg
    ap_chapelle_070827_ssv.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 22
Comedian Rosie O'Donnell revealed in her namesake magazine Rosie in 2000 that she had suffered from depression her entire life, but at the age of 37 gained control of her emotions with the help of antidepressants. The now 45-year-old actress said that she was one of the "haunted ones."

Stand-up comedian Richard Jeni was diagnosed with clinical depression in early 2007 and was suffering bouts of psychotic paranoia. In March, Jeni's girlfriend found the comic with a gunshot wound to his face. He later died in the hospital. Before autopsy results were announced, Jeni's family said that it was in fact a suicide and revealed Jeni's mental health diagnosis.

Comedic actor Robin Williams has struggled with alcoholism throughout his life. After 20 years of sobriety, Williams entered a rehabilitation clinic in 2006 and said that he now has a new view on life. Although his routines are often quite manic and many have speculated that he may be depressed or bipolar, he has denied that he suffers from depression.

Attachments

• ap_williams_070827_ssv.jpg
    ap_williams_070827_ssv.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 32
  • ap_odonnell_070827_ssh.jpg
    ap_odonnell_070827_ssh.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 22
  • nm_jeni_070827_ssv.jpg
    nm_jeni_070827_ssv.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 19
Depression is such an insidious disease. It can strike anyone at any time. In a way I can understand why comedians use their careers as a way to hide their emotions. Non-famous people suffer from depression a lot of the time too. I wish there was routine screening for it. It is definitely loosing its stigma as a negative "mental problem" and that's a good thing.

This is very interesting. My husband always tells me that comedians are people who usually walk around with a facade but that inside they are very unhappy people. This totally seems to be the case!

Looks like actor John Goodman's years on the booze are about to catch up with him. I always felt this guy wasn't being true to himself. Even in interviews he seemed to be playing a part. I guess that's what actors do they act. Well he is going to be up against some heavy competition if he is going to out scandal the likes of Tiger Woods, Bill ******* and Michael Jackson. It has the ear marks of being something big whatever it is.

Looks like actor John Goodman's years on the booze are about to catch up with him. I always felt this guy wasn't being true to himself. Even in interviews he seemed to be playing a part. I guess that's what actors do they act. Well he is going to be up against some heavy competition if he is going to out scandal the likes of Tiger Woods, Bill ******* and Michael Jackson. It has the ear marks of being something big whatever it is.

Is there any specific reason why you have been bumping several old threads about John Goodman? Seems like you have some kind of obsession with him?

The answer to your question Nat is quite simple. You see I am the guy who a couple of weeks ago discovered the video in question. Even though both the stars in it had taken pains to disguise themselves I found it easy to identify them. Now if I found it easy then so could somebody else. At last count the video had been downloaded 74 times from the site I downloaded it. There is no telling how many other sites this has been downloaded from.

Believe it or not I have no interest whatsoever in showing this to anybody else. I have no interest in ruining another person's life in any way. My dilemma is how do I get a message to a guy like John Goodman saying that he has put himself in a compromising and dangerous position by uploading this particular home video to the internet. I can't very well go and knock on his front door.

So think of this as you will. I have no interest whatsoever in convincing even one single person that this is the genuine article as I have no intention of ever showing it to anybody. My only interest is to attract one persons attention and the only way I know how to do that is by creating web presence in the hope that the message eventually gets through to the intended person.