horsey peeps -- i need your help!!!

Aug 22, 2006
i have a TB stallion who is being retrained as a dressage horse. he's not a breeding stallion, but i haven't had him gelded because he's 10 years old and the vet recommends that at his age it should be done as a closed procedure. which would be pricey. (for any non-horsey folks reading, 'geld' means 'castrate' and it's usually done when they're young, right at the farm -- sedate them in a nice clean patch of grass and when the fall down hoist up a leg with a rope and snip-snip.)

since soul died i have an empty stall, and i decided to bring home one of the rescue horses i've been supporting since he came out of a meat lot. he's a cute little 2-yr old gelding named andros.

so here's the problem: trentino thinks andros is a filly!!! :wtf: he starts prancing and calling and waving his wiener around every time he gets close to him. trentino is a very manageable stallion, but it's still a HUGE pain in the patootie -- so i'd REALLY like trentino to figure out that andros is a BOY!

any thoughts???

thanks, liza! i feel like a hypocrite because i don't advocate keeping horses intact unless they are outstanding specimens to be used for breeding. but trentino was himself a rescue (won $150k at the track and then dumped at a meat auction - grrrrrrr), and i really don't want to spend several thousand dollars to geld him. so as long as he remains a gentleman he gets to keep his cojones. but this is a real PITA from a management perspective -- i can't put andros in the stall next to him or in a paddock too close to him.

i do have one mare on the farm, and she happens to be in season right now. but andros hasn't been close enough to her to pick up any of her scent -- he's still in his 10-day semi-quarrantine in case he picked up anything from his travelling companions on the way here.

OMG!! I had no idea you had added to your horse family!! All this talking purses, LOL. I wish I could help you, I will definitely ask my friend about it, but I have a feeling she will say let mr hot stuff figure it out the hard way, and I dont think that is the safest way to go.

keep us posted....

OMG!! I had no idea you had added to your horse family!!

well, he's just a little gimpy rescue boy who may never be sound enough for riding. but i have a farm and so i feel like i need to do my part to help the unridables. plus, he's a real cutie, remy needed a friend after losing seoul, and the last thing i need right now is another horse to have to keep in training! so it's win-win for all of us.

How recently did you introduce the new gelding? Is it possible Trentino is displaying stallion behavior to show the new guy that he is the boss? I would hope he would stop after a short time and he got used to the newcomer.

I think it's wonderful that you saved that gelding from slaughter.

Sorry this took so long DQ!
1. Stallion/Studdy behavior-medical management:
-Some people are using a drug called Regumate, which is simply progesterone, but it's somewhat controversial as to whether it works. You could try discussing it with your veterinarian.
-Kelly (DH) said Studdy behavior is usually additive-they seem to get worse, not better-dogs learn to tolerate each other, but the stallins seem to get worse.

2. The closed procedure is actually a scrotal incision-which is sutured shut-Kelly said it's great if done well-but every one he's ever seen as blown up like a basketball/hematoma. His preferred method for older studs is to ligate the cords(instead of simply clamp) and leave open for any drainage. I'm sorry to say we only get a few hundred$ for this (YIKES-WE SHOULD MOVE) !

Please let me know if you want his email-he'll be glad to answer any questions! This will, of course, make your vet irate! :yes:

Sorry this took so long DQ!
1. Stallion/Studdy behavior-medical management:
-Some people are using a drug called Regumate, which is simply progesterone, but it's somewhat controversial as to whether it works. You could try discussing it with your veterinarian.
-Kelly (DH) said Studdy behavior is usually additive-they seem to get worse, not better-dogs learn to tolerate each other, but the stallins seem to get worse.

2. The closed procedure is actually a scrotal incision-which is sutured shut-Kelly said it's great if done well-but every one he's ever seen as blown up like a basketball/hematoma. His preferred method for older studs is to ligate the cords(instead of simply clamp) and leave open for any drainage. I'm sorry to say we only get a few hundred$ for this (YIKES-WE SHOULD MOVE) !

Please let me know if you want his email-he'll be glad to answer any questions! This will, of course, make your vet irate! :yes:

thanks, liza! regumate is sucha PITA with all the handling precautions that i don't think i'll go down that road.

what's so strange about this is that trentino is such an easy and well-socialized stallion -- my stalls have bars between them and he has a gelding right next to him with no issues. his paddock adjoins remy's/seoul's, and there's never been any problem with the proximity. twice the help (since discharged!) left the gate unlatched and i found him mixed in with geldings, and again no problems.

but this isn't a stud being boss -- he's doing that hubba, hubba let's make a baby thing. it's really odd. oh well, guess i'll just have to watch it develop -- maybe with time he'll figure out that andros doesn't smell like a mare!

please say thanks to kelly for the info! my vet is a sweetheart and won't mind at all if i ask him about ligating rather than clamping, but he's also the surgeon for all the equine practices in the area so i expect some reassurances that he can do the closed procedure well. ;)

and yes, you should move here -- unless you need horseshoes. in which case be prepared to pay $590 for four horses, fronts only, two regular, one bars and one bars with rimpads. :wtf:

Holy CRAP-Thereputic shoeing by a vet referral farrier for my own old crippled Tb- $120.00. Four feet.

I just did a cystotomy (bladder surgery) with marshmallow sized stone removal, digital radiographs, bloodwork, anesthesia, etc.-The bill came to $600. I don't think I can move back home though-too much traffic! (originally Maryland!)