Calling All Soft Structured Bag Owners, Do You Mind The Sagging?

skyrider007

Finer Things 'r Good
Sep 5, 2007
I recently purchased a Louis Vuitton Carryall in Monogram Canvas. The bag has a hard flat bottom but still sags when I put in my MacBook Pro and textbooks. It sags horribly if weights are not evenly spread.

I plan on putting additional cardboard at the bottom and buy a purseket.

What's your views?

My thoughts: Was the bag designed to carry that much weight? I know that a big bag gives the impression of being able to hold everything that you could get in there, but THAT? I'd never weigh my LV down like that, but that's just me.

I recently purchased a Louis Vuitton Carryall in Monogram Canvas. The bag has a hard flat bottom but still sags when I put in my MacBook Pro and textbooks. It sags horribly if weights are not evenly spread.

I plan on putting additional cardboard at the bottom and buy a purseket.

What's your views?

I think that's a good plan. I won't buy soft structured bags for this reason-- the sagging drives me crazy! I don't think it's good for the bag either. The extra cardboard and purseket should help.

Hmm. I have a fairly soft structured bag (Gryson Heidi) and I haven't had a problem with sagging. Well, when I set it on the ground and it is fairly empty, the sides sag, but I haven't had any problem with the bottom sagging. This morning I carried:
laptop
lunch box (for real!)
book
medium chameleon with my daily mess

I do... its why I haven't bought a speedy even though I LOVE them. I just can't bring myself to buy a bag that expensive and then stuff it with cardboard just to get it to look like it should. JMO

I have a solution. I have done this with a few bags that are unstructured. You can get a foam purse bottom, and just lay it in the inside bottom of the bag, so you can take it out when you wish. It works wonders, bends, etc., but definitely gives some structure to the bottom. It is only $1.99, and can be cut to any size bag, except exceptionally large. I can't remember what the dimensions are.

Here is the URL to the site. Just look down the page a little for "Foam Purse Bottoms" for $1.99.......

http://www.quiltbus.com/purse.htm

I have a solution. I have done this with a few bags that are unstructured. You can get a foam purse bottom, and just lay it in the inside bottom of the bag, so you can take it out when you wish. It works wonders, bends, etc., but definitely gives some structure to the bottom. It is only $1.99, and can be cut to any size bag, except exceptionally large. I can't remember what the dimensions are.

Here is the URL to the site. Just look down the page a little for "Foam Purse Bottoms" for $1.99.......

http://www.quiltbus.com/purse.htm

Wow, those look great!

I have a lot of soft structured bags, and they all get cardboard and a pursket. I just bought another one knowing it would need "surgery" but I love the bag and I'm the only one who knows it has cardboard in the bottom:P

A piece of cardboard works great in my Speedy 30 and I use a purseket in my 25. I don't mind a little sag, but without the cardboard, my 30 was way too saggy.

There's a woman who sells bottoms for speedys on ebay. I was looking at them to see if they would fit any of my other bags (don't have a speedy). They were 20 I think, but they looked cool. If you just search speedy on ebay they should come up.

I have an old French Luggage Company Louis Vuitton Speedy 30 which definitely sags a bit. The bottom holds up pretty well-- it's the sides that tend to collapse--even with a chameleon insert. Sometimes it bugs me, but for the most part I don't mind. I just think of her as old and venerable and showing her age... she is nearly 30!