Help! my liquid eyeliner stings!

chiqunique

Nov 4, 2006
I currently use estee lauder's pure color eyeliner that comes in the pretty glass cube bottles but lately it's been stinging when I apply it!!! Has this ever happened to anyone else? I want to switch to a diff liquid eyeliner but there are so many out there to choose from, please give me tips on anything good for sensitive eyes?? Thanks!!!!:heart::heart:

You may be experiencing contact dermatitus.. potentially allergic to some ingredient in it, or just an element of THAT colour. Bring it back to where you got it and explain, request another colour (they'll give it to you free I'm sure), and if it still happens, don't use that line anymore!

We are all made up with different chemistry - thats why perfume smells fab on some of us, and on others it smells like gasoline!! :P

Yeah, definitely stop using it immediately. All eyeliners burn my eyes except for Clinique's. I know a lot of women on here don't like Clinique but it is hypoallergenic and is perfect for those of us who can't wear other brands.

I will join the "stop using it immediately" chorus, and suggest that even if they changed one tiny thing in the formulation, that could be all that is needed to make your particular eyes go ballistic.

Give it away, and when you get a new brand, whatever it is, do a little test, first on the inside of your wrist, and then on your cheek, but not too close to your eye, and then just under your eyebrow, to make sure that you won't have any sort of reaction, and keep it as far from your actual eyes as you can during the testing process.

Oh, and if your eyes, hair, brows and lashes are black, whatever brand you choose, the color should be blue.

thanks for the advice!!! I'm going to switch it up and try a hypoallergenic liquid liner from clinique(which I don't usually like) like Chicbabacool said. If it still bothers my eyes, I'm going to have to quit using liquid eyeliner :sad: because it's making my eyes turn red, dry up and swell a little!!

Most sting me too unfortunately. I would suggest experimenting with different brands? Or maybe avoid them altogether and try gel liners? I have found that I have much more control and can acheive a better result with gel liners.

I haven't found a liquid liner that doesn't burn/sting my eyes. I just use pencils.
I find it difficult too, there is only one I can use which is the Revlon colorstay one (which is actually the best around IMO), I've been using it for over 10 years. Every time I try a new one my eyes sting or they'll water a lot throughout the day.

Yes, everybody should use pencils, but you can't tell liquid people anything.

I know, I used to be one, back in about 1966. But I matured, and so will they all, and until then about all we can do is send them to the art store for brushes and remind the brunettes to use blue.

What brands of gel liner are the best? I don't even know where to begin looking for one. I've heard they stay on better than liquid or pencil, but I've never heard of a gel liner. Recommendations? Thanks!