Influencers and Hermes

I feel like 2016 Hermes and now Hermes experiences may be quite different…it may not seem like that long ago but it’s actually 7 years (where did all the time go!!) and a lot of things have changed. The demand, competition, brand recognition, the “game” (ugh)…if you are currently starting out on H you may find that some others’ experiences from as recently as a year or two ago no longer quite apply (with the pandemic messing things up extra in the middle). Not to mention that everybody’s situation can be different even in the current time. Funnily enough I’d say the whole social media and influencer culture has definitely influenced (ha!) a lot of those changes these past years and IMO not in a good way.

What has not changed and has been offered as great advice countless times in this forum is: find an SA, work with them and for your own happiness sake don’t focus too much on comparing your experience with others’ (especially not with what they selectively report on social media).

ETA: are there always bags? Of course. But are there always bags *for you*? That’s the million dollar (perhaps literally) question :smile:

Last edited:
I feel like 2016 Hermes and now Hermes experiences may be quite different…it may not seem like that long ago but it’s actually 7 years (where did all the time go!!) and a lot of things have changed. The demand, competition, brand recognition, the “game” (ugh)…if you are currently starting out on H you may find that some others’ experiences from as recently as a year or two ago no longer quite apply (with the pandemic messing things up extra in the middle). Not to mention that everybody’s situation can be different even in the current time. Funnily enough I’d say the whole social media and influencer culture has definitely influenced (ha!) a lot of those changes these past years and IMO not in a good way.

What has not changed and has been offered as great advice countless times in this forum is: find an SA, work with them and for your own happiness sake don’t focus too much on comparing your experience with others’ (especially not with what they selectively report on social media).

ETA: are there always bags? Of course. But are there always bags *for you*? That’s the million dollar (perhaps literally) question :smile:
Perhaps also add to the bolded part: and in the specifications you requested (in terms of model, size, leather, hardware, colour).

Reactions: keodi and momoc
there's a new account on insta @thefakebirkinslayer who is confirming what we all knew: that most of these influencers are carrying fake bags. They're posting influencers who are guilty of this and it includes really popular hermes insta/tiktok creators (+ some real housewives) who are now deleting videos/disabling comments. I'm not one for social media drama but this is so eye-opening.

there's a new account on insta @thefakebirkinslayer who is confirming what we all knew: that most of these influencers are carrying fake bags. They're posting influencers who are guilty of this and it includes really popular hermes insta/tiktok creators (+ some real housewives) who are now deleting videos/disabling comments. I'm not one for social media drama but this is so eye-opening.
My mouth was open looking at some of their stories in shock! It makes total sense now.. thanks for sharing!

These people who pretend to have Hermes bags but it's all fake are awful. How many people get taken in by the fake lifestyle and think it's real?!
Not to mention all the issues with fakes

the craziest one I saw was birkintrash. He's an influencer who's built his whole niche on scoring birkin bags and being an expert on birkin bags. He's collaborated with fashionphile and been interviewed for fashion magazines. I was suspect when he claimed he never had to pre spend to get a bag, he just wore a certain perfume and was charismatic *eyeroll*. Turns out not only was he using fakes; he was selling them as well :shocked:. He made a half-hearted apology saying he was conned into believing the bags were real (really, aren't you supposed to be an expert) and then turned off all comments.

the craziest one I saw was birkintrash. He's an influencer who's built his whole niche on scoring birkin bags and being an expert on birkin bags. He's collaborated with fashionphile and been interviewed for fashion magazines. I was suspect when he claimed he never had to pre spend to get a bag, he just wore a certain perfume and was charismatic *eyeroll*. Turns out not only was he using fakes; he was selling them as well :shocked:. He made a half-hearted apology saying he was conned into believing the bags were real (really, aren't you supposed to be an expert) and then turned off all comments.
What on earth?!

These people who pretend to have Hermes bags but it's all fake are awful. How many people get taken in by the fake lifestyle and think it's real?!
Not to mention all the issues with fakes
exactly; it's conning their followers and who are influenced to spend all this money (sometimes even going into extreme debt) just to emulate the lifestyle of someone they are looking up to. It's actually so horrible

Isn’t this whole thread depressing? Obviously it’s not H’s fault that some people are dishonest, but surely none of this is good for the brand. I feel like H’s scarcity strategies have really backfired in a unintended way here, risking alienating their “true” client base in favour of flash-in-the-pan influencers and profit-takers.

I found his profile on insta but there are no posts? Maybe deleted??
It’s basically all in the stories, I went down the rabbit hole last night. He called out Marysol from the the Real Housewives of Miami who suddenly seems to have a Mini Kelly in every color and they all look slightly “off“ to me. They look just like the “dupes” I see another influencer sporting.

Reactions: TC1
Also not one for drama but I'm honestly glad influencers are being exposed. I don't have any sympathy for people trying to pass off their fake bags as real. There are more influencers I'm curious about as their stories don't add up.