What jewelry superstitions do you believe?

I wore a pearl necklace and diamond and pearl drop earrings on my wedding day, still going strong!!! I’m not superstitious, but reading this thread is interesting.
"Marriage is like a roller coaster- at first you have butterflies or may be scared:wtf:, at times you may wonder what you've gotten yourself into and if you can handle it:shrugs:, but once the ride begins its amazing and you would DEFINITELY do it all over again!!!!"

I'm responding to your signature: Part of me agrees and part of me is like, "If this ride ever stops, I'm sure as heck not getting back on again!" :lol:;)

I know that unmarried women are not supposed to wear a ring on her ring finger where a wedding ring would normally be (it varies between place to play as to whether it's the ring finger left or right). I suppose the reason for that is simple: someone sees a ring already there, they can't tell you're unmarried and you missed your chance :biggrin:
I've known lots of young women who wear fake diamond rings when they just want to have a "girls night out" and not have to deal with unwanted advances. I never thought it was worth it though, because let's be honest, most men at bars and dance clubs are NOT looking at a woman's ring finger. :biggrin:

And then of course, there are the men who take their rings off for the opposite reason. :hrmm:

I'll wear anything I want at anytime but I don't often wear gems, crustaceans or stones on a daily basis. However, I'm wearing a single ruby stud in one ear and a white pearl in other today so sometimes I do. I'll wear whatever rings on whichever hand and fingers too. No rules.

I wear my mothers' pearls ar just pearls to remind me of her. All my pearls came from her anyway, I've never bought any.

Pearls were considered unlucky for anyone that wasn't born in June/under the sign of Cancer (crab) - like my mother, because they were supposedly tears (and many natural drop pearls look tear-shape).

For brides, they have been considered 'future tears' if worn, but also lucky (the pearls cry for you to save you from tears).

Actually, I think the superstition came from the hazardous collection of sea, lake or river pearls. many divers (Pearlers) died or went blind due to the depths they had to go to (decompression sickness) even if they did not outrightly drown.

Opals are considered apparently unlucky for anyone who's not an October baby. This is really because opals are a generally softer stone (4.5-6.5) and after sliced into doublets and triplets to let the light through. Peridots and emeralds are often considered unlucky for the same reason.

Having any stone that doesn't match your birthstone is supposed to not so great. In ME, India and Pakistan there is a whole thing of a person matching their stone to the right vibration (I'm not an expert). Black and opaque stones are hard to wear, but diamonds suit everyone (just as well, ha ha). So it isn't this or that stone is unlucky, but some stones are unlucky for most and very few are lucky (for most).

In my religion, we are supposed to be completely non-superstitious and not wear any good luck charms, amulets at all, but in reality in my culture, it's actually opposite. We often wear protection of a hand, something blue or an eye to ward off bad thoughts of others. I think that symbol goes far further back than the religion.

I notice in Italy, that the goddess Fortuna is sometimes worn around the neck, sometimes just her cornucopia. This is about trusting in fate (she's blind-folded) and believe (in what - not sure) and fortune will come (cornucopia). I was given a most beautiful 18K example by an Italian friend, passed down in her family (she only wears white metal(s)). I wear it more because I adore my friend and to remind myself to be more generous towards others - not really for the Fortuna meaning.

In some cultures, as a woman, wearing any jewellery that want given/bought for you is a :nono: I have been given plenty, but I have to buy my own mostly, which is unlucky in itself :biggrin:.

Oh we come from the same culture. Lol. Superstitions are forbidden yet everyone believes in it, follows some rules, wears the eyes, and often talk to the wise magic ladies. Lol

What about jewelry from antique stores? I love antique jewelry but sometimes I feel like they do carry energy from the past owners, including their pain and sufferings. Once I was admiring a beautiful ring from the 1930s and somehow felt something terrifying. It was an antique store in Warsaw. Those were very hard years for so many people. And I don’t want to get any items that carry that pain and horror.

Oh we come from the same culture. Lol. Superstitions are forbidden yet everyone believes in it, follows some rules, wears the eyes, and often talk to the wise magic ladies. Lol

What about jewelry from antique stores? I love antique jewelry but sometimes I feel like they do carry energy from the past owners, including their pain and sufferings. Once I was admiring a beautiful ring from the 1930s and somehow felt something terrifying. It was an antique store in Warsaw. Those were very hard years for so many people. And I don’t want to get any items that carry that pain and horror.
I, as a German, really DO step back from jewelry from those times and those times around. You never know if someone had to hand out this jewelry involuntarily. Or worse. So, kudos to you, imo the right decision.

The clocks/watches one is new to me too!
Maybe i could add a little to @lill_canele 's.
In Chinese words, clock has the same sound as "an ending". And what "makes it worse" is when you combine the words "giving clock", it totally sounds like sending off a dead person in his funeral. It's a big taboo in asian culture.

But giving-watch has no adverse sounding so that's fine.

So basically, it's not the time thing, but it's the same sound when you read them. Ha! Yes we asians are like that (mostly!).

I agree with this. I don't buy used/antique anything for this reason.

I also feel it's weird to buy a used wedding/engagement ring... who knows if it carries the negative energy from a divorce or rejected proposal? And even if it doesn't, the symbolism there isn't great.

Reactions: etudes and GraffS
"Marriage is like a roller coaster- at first you have butterflies or may be scared:wtf:, at times you may wonder what you've gotten yourself into and if you can handle it:shrugs:, but once the ride begins its amazing and you would DEFINITELY do it all over again!!!!"

I'm responding to your signature: Part of me agrees and part of me is like, "If this ride ever stops, I'm sure as heck not getting back on again!" :lol:;)
This is hilarious!

When I made up my quote, I meant knowing everything that I know now I’d still enter the marriage with my partner and enjoy the crazy ride that is our life.

Now if ever it ended as in divorce, I’m not sure I’d want to embark on the same ride with another man!!!