2023 Resolution: Shopping my Own Bags and SLG Collection

A long standing tradition in this thread is to remind ourselves of how wonderful our own collections are by showcasing them. We can see how far we have come, collection wise, and we reminded that we have all (or most of) what we need making it easier to shop our own closets.

• New theme weeks start each Sunday

• Don’t jump ahead but, if you miss a week, please do show your bags “late”.

• Show bags individually or in a group

• You do NOT have to wear the bags that week

• For added fun, show old pictures from previous years to demonstrate how you have curated it over time.

• This is completely voluntary. There is no pressure to post at any time.

So what are the showcases? In the Fall, we group our bags by makers! Feel free to show bags, small leather goods, or however it is easiest to organize!

August 13 - Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta

August 20 - Burberry, Celine

August 27 - Coach, Chanel

September 3 - Chloe, Dior

September 10 - Dooney & Bourke, Fendi

September 17 - Ferragamo, Givenchy

September 24 - Goyard, Gucci

October 1 - Hermes, Kate Spade

October 8 - Loewe, Longchamp

October 15 - Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs

October 22 - Michael Kors, Miu Miu

October 29 - Mulberry, Prada

November 5 - Proenza Schouler, Rebecca Minkoff

November 12 - Saint Laurent, Tods

November 19 - Tory Burch, Valentino

November 26 - Bags by Jewelers: Bulgari, Cartier, Tiffany Co, Van Cleef & Arpels. Alternatively, the pillboxes, compacts and other lovelies made by jewelers that fit in your bag.

December 3 - independent artisans and custom bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
January feels like almost over and so far I´ve been good and did not buy any bag. (I was gifted the little embellished evening bag, though.)

It´s not that I have not been deep into many a rabbit hole all month.
Aside from having a general look around for desirable bags and being overwhelmed/ completely put off by the abundance of bags on the market and their prices I´ve been looking for the perfect travel bag all over the internet and almost pulling the trigger many times (Dior "My Dior" top handle, D&G old model Sicily, Fendi Peekaboo - at closer inspection this one was fake, Workwear by Marc by Marc Jacobs.....) only to go back to my closet.
The solution still hasn´t be found...

I might end up taking my YSL from the Tom Ford era which I actually bought as a travel bag some years ago.
View attachment 5699001
It´s big enough to fit everything I might want to lug around, it´s fairly secure (though closing the clasp needs attention or it might pop open again) and it works both as a crook of the arm and crossbody bag. It has a kind of timeless design that should go well with any coat I might end up taking and already got scratched last time it went to Paris.

Speaking of coats I´ve gone down many rabbit holes, too. And I checked my wardrobe, which admittedly is overflowing with vintage coats. Unfortunately everything I own doesn´t seem to work out in one way (being warm enough, fit, practicability for a long car ride and city trip) or the other (design, colour.)
So I did what I always seem to be doing: I bought two rather different cheap coats on ebay.
Hopefully they will arrive very soon for me to have plenty of time to complete the picture.

I have a coat-habit too (I hope I spelled that correctly LOL)

The only type I hate (ducking from rotten eggs and tomatoes) are cheap padded ones. Everyone wears nylon/manmade-filler coats even with really expensive shoes and bags and driving posh cars. I would rather wear my duvet. In fact the only padded ones I like are the asymmetrical originals by Norma Kamali that are called duvet coats.

The only type I hate (ducking from rotten eggs and tomatoes) are cheap padded ones. Everyone wears nylon/manmade-filler coats even with really expensive shoes and bags and driving posh cars. I would rather wear my duvet. In fact the only padded ones I like are the asymmetrical originals by Norma Kamali that are called duvet coats.

E2A8BC31-E8F9-4886-BE3E-FB0B71429D54.gif

Speaking of coats I´ve gone down many rabbit holes, too. And I checked my wardrobe, which admittedly is overflowing with vintage coats. Unfortunately everything I own doesn´t seem to work out in one way (being warm enough, fit, practicability for a long car ride and city trip) or the other (design, colour.)
So I did what I always seem to be doing: I bought two rather different cheap coats on ebay.
Hopefully they will arrive very soon for me to have plenty of time to complete the picture.

Here! Here! I'm such a sucker for coats, outwear, blazers and jackets!
It's even worse when I live in California and I don't have a good enough reason to buy them. :P
I have to hold myself back a lot from buying outerwear every year.:lol:

Though I made a recent purchase last week that I could not pass up!
A beautiful alpaca fur lambskin-lined coat (or is it a jacket? it's not long in length)! It was also 50% off :biggrin:.

I'm also on the hunt for a solid camel-colored cashmere blend coat. Trying to be really patient and hold out until I find the right one!

Not at all!

I love this coconut bag. I would buy one for sure. Actually. it reminds me of a fairly recent Gucci (Cruise 2019) Tifosa that I wanted (but with spikes).

photo VC
View attachment 5699590
Well, in that case :graucho:, I'll take the opportunity to post my handmade football bag (yet again:lol:)!

football bag.jpg

Mirta had a similar one I posted about some time ago that is an upgraded version of mine. It's more sleek in the design. I wanna say it's called an Opera bag... ah found it; it's actually by Boldrini Selleria, sold via Mirta. Pic from the web:

opera bag.jpeg

The only drawback is the weight of these bags. They're insanely heavy with the leather panels.

The spiked Tifosa is amazing!!! Part artwork, part weapon! :lol: Thanks for putting it on my radar. :tup:

(Also, a bit random but, thanks to everyone for never making me feel out of place with my oddball bags. I never feel ashamed here and I can't thank you guys enough for that! :flowers:)

_______

ETA:
Forgot to say that I decided to combine the saffron suggestions from @whateve (rice) and @limom (dessert). I found a recipe for saffron rice pudding and will be making that. Thank you both for the inspo. :smile:

Last edited:
Well, in that case :graucho:, I'll take the opportunity to post my handmade football bag (yet again:lol:)!

View attachment 5699646

Mirta had a similar one I posted about some time ago that is an upgraded version of mine. It's more sleek in the design. I wanna say it's called an Opera bag... ah found it; it's actually by Boldrini Selleria, sold via Mirta. Pic from the web:

View attachment 5699660

The only drawback is the weight of these bags. They're insanely heavy with the leather panels.

The spiked Tifosa is amazing!!! Part artwork, part weapon! :lol: Thanks for putting it on my radar. :tup:

(Also, a bit random but, thanks to everyone for never making me feel out of place with my oddball bags. I never feel ashamed here and I can't thank you guys enough for that! :flowers:)

_______

ETA:
Forgot to say that I decided to combine the saffron suggestions from @whateve (rice) and @limom (dessert). I found a recipe for saffron rice pudding and will be making that. Thank you both for the inspo. :smile:
How did the dessert turn out?

I love coats even though I live in California. Yesterday we went out for lunch and it wasn't until we were on our way back home I realized I wasn't wearing a coat. It was cold for us, around 50F. The only padded coats I wear are stuffed with real down. I have a coat that is like a duvet I only use in the house like a robe. It keeps me so warm but looks kind of ridiculous. Even though California doesn't get very cold - the last few nights were just above freezing - you get used to the weather where you live so it doesn't have to be super cold for us to feel very cold.

I love coats even though I live in California. Yesterday we went out for lunch and it wasn't until we were on our way back home I realized I wasn't wearing a coat. It was cold for us, around 50F. The only padded coats I wear are stuffed with real down. I have a coat that is like a duvet I only use in the house like a robe. It keeps me so warm but looks kind of ridiculous. Even though California doesn't get very cold - the last few nights were just above freezing - you get used to the weather where you live so it doesn't have to be super cold for us to feel very cold.

I remember going to Majorca in April. Basically, I was using the outdoor pool at the hotel, dressing in tees, minis and no coat, and seeing Spanish still wearing their fur coats in the street, so I know what you mean.

It's always been beautiful in California when I've been there - been a while alas.

Help if you can:

I have a cocktail party (launch of a skincare product) to go to next week, but I'm out all day (art installation thing, in morning then the dentist afternoon - then cocktails evening).

I took the day off from work, so I have to make the most of it but the order is plying in my mind.

I can't go home in-between

Art gallery is in a hip but not-so-safe part of town. Dentist is a long walk from any station - mixed area - and I'll be there hours. Cocktails at a swanky members only club :girlsigh:

Weirdest day itinerary. What kind of bag would you take, what would you wear? I don't normally wear make-up to the dentist - but I do for art galleries and cocktails.

Reactions: Jereni

Agreed. Padded nylon coats aren´t for me either! And cheap coats usually look cheap.
I love wool coats, leather and fur, both real and fake (preferrably something good like Tissavel or Astraka) - all from the 40ies to the 70ies.

If a stranger tried to touch my bag, whether they asked or not, I would assume it was about to get snatched!
That would be my first thought, too! And if I was too naive, my DH would pull me away and tell me to stay alert.

@cowgirlsboots
In Paris, be very, very cognizant of thieves. They are everywhere. A zippered bag is highly recommended while in public transit.
Thank you for the warning! I know that all busy areas in Paris are very popular for thieves plus our hotel is in a not too good area where you have to be alert as soon as it gets dark.
I do not own any zippered bag that can do crossbody. I´ll try out my YSL clasp bag at home, again and when it starts randomly opening, again I might just forgo the designer bags and opt for some good old vintage with a clasp and additional side clasps. They are extra secure and my DH always points out they make a perfect weapon, too. Haha.

That would be my first thought, too! And if I was too naive, my DH would pull me away and tell me to stay alert.

Thank you for the warning! I know that all busy areas in Paris are very popular for thieves plus our hotel is in a not too good area where you have to be alert as soon as it gets dark.
I do not own any zippered bag that can do crossbody. I´ll try out my YSL clasp bag at home, again and when it starts randomly opening, again I might just forgo the designer bags and opt for some good old vintage with a clasp and additional side clasps. They are extra secure and my DH always points out they make a perfect weapon, too. Haha.

I noticed that in Paris, nearly all women wear their bags cross-body (which I do myself in most cities).

Help if you can:

I have a cocktail party (launch of a skincare product) to go to next week, but I'm out all day (art installation thing, in morning then the dentist afternoon - then cocktails evening).

I took the day off from work, so I have to make the most of it but the order is plying in my mind.

I can't go home in-between

Art gallery is in a hip but not-so-safe part of town. Dentist is a long walk from any station - mixed area - and I'll be there hours. Cocktails at a swanky members only club :girlsigh:

Weirdest day itinerary. What kind of bag would you take, what would you wear? I don't normally wear make-up to the dentist - but I do for art galleries and cocktails.
Can you give us multiple choice? What bags are you considering? Safe, convenient, and glamorous is a tough combination.