First Bolide: Which would you choose? 27 or 31 -- or Bolide 1923 (30 cm)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@wenyihsu Thank you for sharing your experience with all 3 of Hermes Bolide styles. Your specific examples were especially helpful for me. With the exception of an evening bag, I must have at least a small water bottle (300 mL, which is 10 oz.) with me 24/7, so that conclusively rules out the 27 Bolide for my lifestyle.

The wider zip opening of the 1923 Bolide is also a key point for me, so I'm pretty sure I would do better with the 1923 style. My SA has found one in a color & hardware combo I desire, and he is doing his best to get it transferred in for me.

You all have been such a terrific sounding board for me, and have made me more confident in my decision making.

With Gratitude,

Last edited:
I have all 3 and love them all for different occasions. I dont carry a lot - wallet, phone, card holder and a water bottle. When I use my 27s, the water bottle definitely does not fit. All the other items fit snuggly. I use the 31s when I travel. I just got the 1923 30 a couple of months ago and LOVE the shape. It fits about the same amount as the 31 but it’s easier to get things out cause the zipper opens wider. The only thing I would change about it is I wish there were 2 zippers on top for opening (then you could open and zip in both directions). Based on what you use for your other bags, seems like the 31 or 1923 would be a better fit. I do think the 1923 has a more modern silhouette so will probably be buying more 1923 30s in the future.

@wenyihsu Is your avatar a KL in Iris Box? I think I'll be dreaming about that bag all night tonight. So stunning! I also adore PHW. You know you've got it bad when you're already dreaming about a bag that's not even the next bag in line for you!

For 1st bolide i think better 31, more flexible, can carry tons of stuff but still doesnt look too big for dinners, imo :smile:

@pinkmacaroon this advice is spot-on. Thank you for contributing your wisdom!

I am still in search of a 1st Bolide. I didn't expect it to be this hard, as it is a fairly expensive H bag and--unlike B and K--fully commissionable for SAs. I've given my SA lots of possibilities as far as color and leather go, and even style (traditional 31 or Web Bolide or new 1923 model, as long as it's Sellier). He's looked through all the stock in the US and so far: no matches. Meanwhile, I continue to look at vintage possibilities.

Next week I am going to Hong Kong and then Singapore. I will read up on those H threads. He suggested I treat myself to something special while visiting boutiques. With 7-8 boutiques per city, there will certainly be a lot of stock to consider.

I am still in search of a 1st Bolide. I didn't expect it to be this hard, as it is a fairly expensive H bag and--unlike B and K--fully commissionable for SAs. I've given my SA lots of possibilities as far as color and leather go, and even style (traditional 31 or Web Bolide or new 1923 model, as long as it's Sellier). He's looked through all the stock in the US and so far: no matches. Meanwhile, I continue to look at vintage possibilities.

Next week I am going to Hong Kong and then Singapore. I will read up on those H threads. He suggested I treat myself to something special while visiting boutiques. With 7-8 boutiques per city, there will certainly be a lot of stock to consider.

Hong Kong is more expensive than the US even though when you add sales tax to US prices. I was at the HK airport and almost bought a Bastia when I realized that it is pretty pricey. Why would I want to haul anything to come home and be charged Customs. Better off buying in the US. What color are you looking for in the Bolide 31? lot of choices here even on H.com.

May I ask what is a sellier bolide?

You can try the H boutiques in the Singapore and HK airports. I was offered a bolide 31 in noir with ghw before at one of the Singapore airport boutiques (but in the end I didn't take it).

Reactions: stillfabulous
Hong Kong is more expensive than the US even though when you add sales tax to US prices. I was at the HK airport and almost bought a Bastia when I realized that it is pretty pricey. Why would I want to haul anything to come home and be charged Customs. Better off buying in the US. What color are you looking for in the Bolide 31? lot of choices here even on H.com.

chkpfbeliever my apologies for the delay in responding. I had my SA looking for Rouge Casaque in Bolide, 31. There was only one in the US (actually, it was a 1923 model in a 30 cm), and it was on hold for a client. He watched it in case the customer chose to decline, but she followed through with the purchase. He said I will not find one in the US anywhere as he has searched for me. I also told him I would consider a bright navy--H has several nice blues now: Bleu Saphir, Bleu Encre, Bleu de Malte, Blue Nuit, Blue Indigo. And I only wear PHW. Please PM me if you find one in a structured, lightweight leather.

We are now in Singapore, and they have 7% VAT-like tax rebates, but the base pricing of H items is higher than US prices. There is a H on the block where I'm staying. We return to HK tomorrow for 2 more nights, then fly home. It is worth customs duties for unique items--in HK I purchased two silks, one is a HK special edition for their flagship's opening earlier this year.

May I ask what is a sellier bolide?
@yodaling1, my apologies for the delay in responding to your question. I have been offline for the past few months dealing with some medical issues.

I do not think Hermes actually classifies a Bolide as Sellier, but I have seen auction houses use this nomenclature. To me, Sellier connotes rigid structure. I have a Sellier Kelly, with sharply defined corners that was stitched on the outside. But I think some people use Sellier to describe leather types that do not relax with wear, such as Box or Epsom. Technically, I know Sellier is defined by how the bag is created and stitched.

Here are some examples of the Sellier usage with respect to Bolide:
https://jewelry.ha.com/itm/luxury-a...circle-1995very-good-condition/a/5306-58163.s

https://jewelry.ha.com/itm/luxury-a...y-good-to-excellent-condition1/a/5303-58158.s

Thanks for catching the misuse of Sellier!

I have a bolide 31. It is extremely lightweight and very roomy. Makes it a very nice bag for daily casual use. I actually take it out on dinners too sometimes. It doesn't look huge on me. I'm about 168cm tall. Plus I like it cos it is a good size and I don't have to sort things out and figure what to fit in. It's a no brainer bag.
BTW, I think Singapore should have quite a good selection of Bolide. Cos I see them quite often on the shelves. They might have some more at the backend. Not sure of the sizes they carry thought. But no harm asking them.

When it rains Bolides, it pours! It looks like I may end up with 2 out of the 3 Bolide options in the title of this thread.

I have had my SA searching for a Bolide in one of several colors: Rouge Casaque (missed it by a day), Magnolia, Bleu Encre or Bleu Sapphire. Of those 4 colors, I had only seen two (Rouge Casaque and Magnolia) in real life.

Wednesday - My SA had sent me a photo of a Bleu Encre Bolide 1923 in Epsom, but it had the new woven detail in the handles, which introduced another leather color--one that cannot work for me.

Thursday - I found a 27 B in Rouge Casaque at AFF in my leather preference, in my hardware preference, but not in my desired size. It is a 27 cm. My DH purchased it for me as my birthday was this weekend. Although it will be a challenge to fit my everyday items into a 27, I will take on the challenge. I am excited to receive this red bag!

Since the Rouge Casaque Bolide did not come from my SA, I thought it best not to burden him with this unexpected turn of events. I would have been fine if my SA had come back and told me he couldn't locate any of my desired colors. The morning of the day I discovered the red Bolide, I told my SA I will pass on the Limited Edition Bolide 1923 with braided handles.

Friday - My SA texted me another selection to consider: Bolide 1923-30 Bleu Saphir in Novillo leather. He has acquired it and it is expected to arrive this Wednesday. Since we are no longer in the same area, I will be unable to view the bag and to decline it in the boutique if it doesn't look right for me. I would need to give him a yay or nay without having seen the bag.

Although we haven't discussed this, I know if the color/leather do not work for me, I will be unable to pass on this bag. Instead, if I return it, I will have a substantial boutique credit to use in 2019. I also know Bolides don't hold their value the way B or K do, which makes me feel a bit uneasy about having him send this bag. I welcome you to share your thoughts to consider.

Reactions: Eddieabbu
When it rains Bolides, it pours! It looks like I may end up with 2 out of the 3 Bolide options in the title of this thread.

I have had my SA searching for a Bolide in one of several colors: Rouge Casaque (missed it by a day), Magnolia, Bleu Encre or Bleu Sapphire. Of those 4 colors, I had only seen two (Rouge Casaque and Magnolia) in real life.

Wednesday - My SA had sent me a photo of a Bleu Encre Bolide 1923 in Epsom, but it had the new woven detail in the handles, which introduced another leather color--one that cannot work for me.

Thursday - I found a 27 B in Rouge Casaque at AFF in my leather preference, in my hardware preference, but not in my desired size. It is a 27 cm. My DH purchased it for me as my birthday was this weekend. Although it will be a challenge to fit my everyday items into a 27, I will take on the challenge. I am excited to receive this red bag!

Since the Rouge Casaque Bolide did not come from my SA, I thought it best not to burden him with this unexpected turn of events. I would have been fine if my SA had come back and told me he couldn't locate any of my desired colors. The morning of the day I discovered the red Bolide, I told my SA I will pass on the Limited Edition Bolide 1923 with braided handles.

Friday - My SA texted me another selection to consider: Bolide 1923-30 Bleu Saphir in Novillo leather. He has acquired it and it is expected to arrive this Wednesday. Since we are no longer in the same area, I will be unable to view the bag and to decline it in the boutique if it doesn't look right for me. I would need to give him a yay or nay without having seen the bag.

Although we haven't discussed this, I know if the color/leather do not work for me, I will be unable to pass on this bag. Instead, if I return it, I will have a substantial boutique credit to use in 2019. I also know Bolides don't hold their value the way B or K do, which makes me feel a bit uneasy about having him send this bag. I welcome you to share your thoughts to consider.

Enjoy the bolide from your husband. Bolides are not so rare. Why not wait until you can visit a boutique to try on other styles? If a SA knows you’re coming ahead of time, they can try to source some options for you. I wouldn’t buy something you’re unsure of and risk carrying that level of credit.

Reactions: stillfabulous

Hello stillfabulous! I know this is an old thread but would love to hear how your bolide journey turned out as I am just beginning. :smile: how many bolides did you end up with and what sizes/leathers? Would love to see mods or pics too. TIA!

Reactions: peonies13
Hello stillfabulous! I know this is an old thread but would love to hear how your bolide journey turned out as I am just beginning. :smile: how many bolides did you end up with and what sizes/leathers? Would love to see mods or pics too. TIA!
Bonjour!

I got a Bolide 1923-30 from my SA in Saphir Bleu Novillo PHW. She’s a beauty, but I really prefer Box leather so I just took her to a reseller last week. Never worn.

And the Rouge Casaque 27 from my DH that arrived from AFF turned out to be a malodorous bag from a year Hermès had leather supply challenges on some batches. They provided me with the original boutique purchase receipt, which I sent to my SA. He dispatched the Bolide to Paris to have it remade from fresh leather. This took eons.

When the boutique finally sent me the remade Bolide, they’d crafted her of Rouge de Cœur without notifying me of their inability to get Rouge Casaque to remake the bag in the exact original specs. Sadly, Rouge de Cœur does not have the same blue undertone as Rouge Casaque and was unacceptable to me with my skin tone. So back she went to the boutique.

I requested instead a BBK28 PHW, which was sent to me by the boutique SM after considerable effort. Since they were unable to duplicate the Bolide exactly, they applied the boutique cost of the original purchase of the malodorous 2017 Bolide as a credit toward the BBK28. Since there were four production years difference, plus Box is more than Epsom, it wasn’t a financial breakeven, as it would have been if they’d been able to remake the fresh leather Bolide in her original specs. I had quite a balance due on the BBK, but did end up with a bag I’d wanted for years.

When all was said and done, I owned but never wore, two different Bolide sizes in two different leathers; neither leather worked for me, so I am still without a Bolide! I am actively seeking one in a color and leather I love.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.