Strap Cracks - Beginning of the End?

tootsieroll49

Jan 26, 2019
Hi TPF! Looking for some advice or words of comfort on my Goyard Artois MM. :blah:

I was super excited to have purchased my exact wishlist Goyard in Paris this past August. Now only a couple of months later, I'm noticing some cracking on the glazing on all 4 spots where the straps attach. I've used the bag maybe a dozen to twenty times and only ever carrying "medium" weight to go to the office. Just a Macbook air and few pouches for makeup / electronics.

It sounds like this was a common issue a couple of years ago on the St Louis. Is my bag showing early signs of the same issue? Any advice on how to prevent it from getting worse? I've started to make sure the straps stand upright when stored and conditioned the leather a tiny bit.

I live in Canada so getting to a Goyard boutique would be difficult. Hoping prevention is the best bet.

IMG_9581.jpeg

IMG_9582.jpeg

IMG_9583.jpeg

IMG_9584.jpeg

Reactions: jjgg
This happened to both my St Louis and my Bellachasse (this one had it the worst). I don’t live in Manhattan anymore so I reached out asking what they can do about it and their snail speed responses aren’t giving me much hope. I don’t carry much at all, too.

Need to check on mine with the "new glazing" too.

I had the old ones too and the cracks didn't bother me. Continued wearing them until the glazing started to melt in hot weather and stain my clothing... I wrote aftersales a year ago as I was going to Paris soon anyway. Was able to get an appointment (which meant getting past the queue back then) and have them exchanged to the new type that you have now.

Thank you both! I’ve emailed Goyard via their online after sales form and will see what happens. There’s no option to upload photos on the form though so hopefully they respond promptly
they asked me to send photos via email and then asked me for when and where I bought it- I sent all that and haven’t heard back. It’s been a few weeks.

I just bought this in May 2022 and used it once every 4-5 days or so through August.

And now this on my Artois PM! :sad: Going on an overnight trip today and took it out and saw it…I didn’t see it before I stored it away. So bummed.

View attachment 5646259View attachment 5646260
Did you buy it directly from Goyard? This type of glazing looks like the thick one that has known issues. But I thought they stopped using it some years ago and only have the thin glazing nowadays.

So I'm torn... customer service got back to me and responded with the below. It sounds like I need to send it to them for them to even evaluate whether my bag is 1) Defective 2) How much it would be to repair 3) How much the shipping fees would even be.

What do you all think I should do? My bag isn't in terrible shape right now, but I'm afraid it'll get worse, or I'm afraid I send it off and they determine it's not defective and I have to pair for the shipping back and forth.

----

"Thank you for getting back to us. Upon collecting your item for evaluation, our service équipe partners with our skilled artisans determine if there are any quality issues, what type of repair we can provide, and any associated fees to be collected. Please note that should there be any quality issues, the associated service and shipping fees will be waived.

Your item will be evaluated in the order it is recieved in our workshop. Repairs and custimazations are often unique and require special attention and expertise. As a consequence, completion time frames may vary. On average, a standard repair may take from 4 to 6 weeks to complete. This is an effort to ensure that the quality of repair is long lasting and up to par with the traditional artisanal methods of Goyard.

Once your item is evaluated and an intervention is determined, we will notify you of any associated fees as well as an estimated time-frame to completion, which may in fact be less than the standard.

Please let us know how you would like to move forward, and we will be happy to proceed.

Kind Regards,"

Yes, at the bal harbor boutique.

Interesting. If it’s indeed the old type of glazing the cracks aren’t even the biggest problem, but the melting of it in hot temperatures. The glazing will then stick to your clothes and fingers… I had that and dropped my bag off at the Paris store when I went there for holidays. In my case they deemed the material defective and replaced the handles for free. It was done after 2 weeks. Much faster than anticipated. I bought it in 2016 at Goyard Paris and repaired last year.

So if your glazing seems like it could “melt”, getting a plasticine like texture (getting imprints from your fingers and clothes in hot temperatures) I’d definitely send it in.

So I'm torn... customer service got back to me and responded with the below. It sounds like I need to send it to them for them to even evaluate whether my bag is 1) Defective 2) How much it would be to repair 3) How much the shipping fees would even be.

What do you all think I should do? My bag isn't in terrible shape right now, but I'm afraid it'll get worse, or I'm afraid I send it off and they determine it's not defective and I have to pair for the shipping back and forth.

----

"Thank you for getting back to us. Upon collecting your item for evaluation, our service équipe partners with our skilled artisans determine if there are any quality issues, what type of repair we can provide, and any associated fees to be collected. Please note that should there be any quality issues, the associated service and shipping fees will be waived.

Your item will be evaluated in the order it is recieved in our workshop. Repairs and custimazations are often unique and require special attention and expertise. As a consequence, completion time frames may vary. On average, a standard repair may take from 4 to 6 weeks to complete. This is an effort to ensure that the quality of repair is long lasting and up to par with the traditional artisanal methods of Goyard.

Once your item is evaluated and an intervention is determined, we will notify you of any associated fees as well as an estimated time-frame to completion, which may in fact be less than the standard.

Please let us know how you would like to move forward, and we will be happy to proceed.

Kind Regards,"

I can understand they need to see it in person to evaluate, and I understand you quandary as well. I think only you can decide which way to proceed!