Do You Hide Your Chanel Bags (or Other Luxury Goods) from Regular/Hourly House Keeper?

My best friend got robbed by housekeeping. Just one bag, but it was her favourite. I also know a couple people who were robbed by housekeepers. One of them even gifted quite a lot of money to their help, because they told about a difficult life situation. Still didn’t prevent robbery. It’s great to trust your help and most of them would never steal anything, but why to seduce by keeping all the valuables in plain sight?

They don't know what it is. They think it just a regular bag because I don't store them like a high-value thing
I am exactly like you :biggrin:. I store them in open shelves and anyone can walk in and take it if they are that kind of people. I am grateful that so far I have been lucky with cleaners. I had 2 so far (first one had health problems) and they are both honest and hard working. The first one knows I have some high value items but she is an honest person so she did not get tempted to take it. The second one I dont think she knew their values.
If one of them decided to take something from the shelves, I would not notice it until sometime because I only look at my shelves when I want to use another bag but my bag rotation only happens every few months because Im too lazy to do it :biggrin:. Jewelry is a bit different because I wear jewelry when I go out and wear different combination each time so I would notice sooner if a piece is missing. But so far everything is safe. So yeah Im grateful to have honest cleaners.
However to be on the safe side, i think you should lock the cabinet when your cleaner comes. Dont be too naïve like me haha

Don’t have cleaners at all but would recommend hiding/locking up anything you care about just for good measure.

I will say, when we have contractors over at the house I try to keep everything out of sight not necessarily because I’m worried they might steal, but I’m worried that they’ll try to rip me off or squeeze $$$ out of me. Just another aspect to consider

Yes, I actually stopped calling my house help when Covid started and then never called her back as I added a lot of new pieces during the pandemic in the last 2 years. She was a wonderful and trusting lady. A few times I left my gold jewelry out by mistake and she never took them. However she told me one of her kid was in jail for something I don’t remember exactly. So I trusted her but didn’t trust the people around her. It has been very hard to find someone else who I can trust enough. I am managing cleaning on my own which I do almost daily and weekly as part of my routine so it’s not a lot of cleaning to do anyways. My husband also helps me over the weekends.

It depends on the person. My previous cleaning lady was very trustworthy. I forgot my engagement ring once and she sent me a photo and told me where she kept it. However I didn't know her assistants well so from them I still hid the important things out of plain sight but not locked in a closet or anything. I don't get the same feelings from my current cleaning person so I would not leave her alone with my important things.

My best friend got robbed by housekeeping. Just one bag, but it was her favourite. I also know a couple people who were robbed by housekeepers. One of them even gifted quite a lot of money to their help, because they told about a difficult life situation. Still didn’t prevent robbery. It’s great to trust your help and most of them would never steal anything, but why to seduce by keeping all the valuables in plain sight?

I get what you're saying, but I don't have time to perform a hiding ritual every time I have someone in the house nor to put it back after they've left. I guess I'll just take my chances. It's just stuff to me.

I get what you're saying, but I don't have time to perform a hiding ritual every time I have someone in the house nor to put it back after they've left. I guess I'll just take my chances. It's just stuff to me.
If you keep your valuables in many different places arounds the house, then I get what you mean. But I just lock my closet door, it’s a 1 second task

I desperately want to hire a housekeeper. I had major cervical surgery 2 years ago and it really limits me. I need a thorough cleaning, then someone to come in once or twice a month. I don't think I could ever trust anyone in my house, definitely not unattended. Thirty years ago I had my house robbed twice in a month. The first time they must have been scared off because they hadn't taken all the jewelry out of my armoire. I hid what was left, so when they came back they found an empty jewelry armoire. This must have ticked them off because they tore the house apart. If you've ever had your house broken into like that, you know it's something you never get over. That's what makes it so hard for me to let someone in my house, even with me at home.

One thing I do when I have workers in the house is put away any jewelry that's laying around. Not because I don't trust the workers because I screen people thoroughly, but if something went missing because *I* misplaced it, I'd immediately think someone pocketed it. I cringe to think of wrongly accusing someone when I was careless.

Moral of the story is it's not just designer handbags, it's that horrible feeling of being violated. I still want my house cleaned though!!!

So, I have a large gun safe that I also put jewelry in, and I put locks on all my cabinets that house my safe, my ammo, etc. THEN, I have a floor to ceiling RH cabinet w/ all my bags, I put a lock on that. I have an alarm sensor connected to the cabinet, and a motion sensor camera pointed down on all the cabinets/ safe that instantly records when there's motion AND records from all other cameras around the perimeter. I can set up the camera to go into instant alarm if it detects any motion at all. I also live in a community w/ 24 hour manned security with vehicles that constantly patrol.

One day I was out while my housekeeper's team was there (she was gone but her son & 2 others came). I had left the key in the bag cabinet. I instantly get a live recording of the son opening the cabinet, TAKING OUT A BAG AND PHOTOGRAPHING IT. I race home while he's still there, I find that all my clothes have been gone through as well (tags out, etc). I was freaked out out for awhile b/c he is an adult teenager...who was or did he send pictures to (pics have geo locations on them)? Did he post on social media? Maybe his friends are "ok" but friends of friends? It felt so violating...going through ALL MY CLOTHES? And I can tell when anyone comes over and goes through my clothes. Although the CTJ I thought was impactful, it didn't keep one of the other "team" persons from lifting 2 pr of LV sunglasses out of my bag that was sitting on the counter while I was outside on the phone a month later. I filed a police report and had them banned from the neighborhood.

Where I live housekeepers make $50 an hour (just private ones, not commercial companies, they are more), so I have one working for me now who makes more money doing this than with her profession w/ a graduate degree. And, fashion ain't her thing. I've sort of learned by trial and error that if a housekeeper asks me about my clothes, bags, asks how much they are, or even really compliments me on my fashion or furniture or whatever, I get rid of them. I don't want anyone around who "notices" that stuff, if that makes sense.

Very interesting question! And very good discussion. It’s been a great read! :tup:

I don’t hire a maid mainly because 1) I like to clean 2) I am very very picky. (Like, did you clean my window sills and dust between the railings of the staircase clean, and I will draw a line across a table with my finger to see if there’s dust, just my OCD lol)

But my husband and I did discuss it before and we agreed that we would probably keep the closet locked and not allow anyone to go into our bedroom. Rest of the house would be okay.

I remember one of my college friends bought a 4000 sq ft house to live off campus and I lived with her as a tenant (my rent was $450 a month, it was amazing lol). She grew up with maids/housekeeping and to manage a relatively large home, it’s easier to have housekeeping in general. I recall that one time the maid “cleaned” her desk and ended up throwing away her homework and then after that my friend gave more specific instructions on cleaning. The maid cleaned my room as well, which I didn’t mind but it made me uncomfortable that she even did my laundry and even folded my underwear. Not that she was doing anything wrong, it was something I wasn’t used to and just asked her to stop. My friend had all sorts of designer items thrown around in her room and nothing happened to them. But I believe the maid was relatively trustworthy since she cleaned many of the other houses in the area and we lived in a gated community. The families living there have been there far longer than we have and I believe it was one of our neighbors who recommended her.

Reactions: 880 and KittyCattt
Hubs and I discussed about this today and he thinks having referrals would probably be the way to go about it, similar to some have mentioned above. But unfortunately we don't currently know anyone in our family or friends that hire housekeepers... Social media is so popular these days, I just can't expect that whoever comes to our house doesn't know what my things are worth :sad: Even if they may not know what the items are, they could still tell that some of the belongings are nice and higher quality. A quick research or even taking pictures and discussing with others (like what @TraceySH mentioned above) would probably provoke any unnecessary interest... House helpers could notice a Hermes change tray or a Baccarat vase, and it makes sense to think the owner of the house probably also owns some other nice things right? I don't know... I think I have trust issues lol :facepalm:
Very interesting question! And very good discussion. It’s been a great read! :tup:

I don’t hire a maid mainly because 1) I like to clean 2) I am very very picky. (Like, did you clean my window sills and dust between the railings of the staircase clean, and I will draw a line across a table with my finger to see if there’s dust, just my OCD lol)
I wish I loved cleaning :lol: That would have made our (my) life so much easier and cleaner lol.