Do You Hide Your Chanel Bags (or Other Luxury Goods) from Regular/Hourly House Keeper?

I have actually had the same maid for over 30 years! I just hope she never retires or I'll be in big trouble! I have always believed that when a woman is employed, she should have someone else doing the household chores that she doesn't like doing herself. Life is short and I think women too often do two fulltime jobs!!! I totally get that some people choose and like to do it themselves, but I always hated it. I kept my cleaning person after I stopped working! But to answer the original question, I do not hide anything from her, but as a rule, I don't just leave valuables out on the dresser or sitting in the bedroom anyway. I would only hire a cleaning person by referral of someone I know.

I am far more concerned about a random break-in while we are gone, and we honestly need to add closet locks and cameras. So this thread has been a good reminder for me to prioritize that.

I just stumbled across this topic. I think it can be better if someone you know has used the same person for a while and can vouch for them. However, I don't think I'm capable of hiring anyone to clean my place. The reason is that a relative's wife (a friendly woman I would see at holidays and family gatherings) was cleaning homes to make some extra money. Several of her clients were elderly. One woman realized that she was stealing from her, contacted the police, they staged some jewelry, and she fell for it and stole it. If I can't trust family, how on earth am I supposed to trust a stranger?

I’ll be honest my very first designer bag was a LV speedy I bought when I got my first entry level job and within months of having it the housekeepers filling in for the regulars had stolen it. To make matters worse I had it “hidden” in the bottom of a deep drawer, folded down, covered with clothing so it couldn’t be seen without digging for it. Luckily my renters insurance at the time covered the cost of replacing it and some other items that were stolen. A friend told me about filing with my insurance because she had her bag stolen on a trip to Italy by the hotel housekeepers. Our housekeepers now however, we’ve had for many years and my husband has been using them even longer since before we got married. So I don’t really hide my bags per say. However, I will put them in the closet but sometimes I do forget and nothing has happened. But I do always put away my jewelry…just to be on the safe side.

I don't but I have cameras in my place (as I have kids running around). I just put them in closet.. I just hope no one steals them because it will be obvious if the boxes are being removed.

Thank you all so much for chiming in! :yes: I agree with the majority, that out of sight out of mind... I do like the idea of cleaning only the first floor, but does that mean I still need to clean the majority of the toilets and showers (since most are upstairs)? :lol::facepalm: Or would it be too obvious to ask them to leave out only the master bedroom lol? Part of the reason my friend and I discussed about this today was because we both felt that we couldn't fully enjoy owning luxury goods... Either we felt that we could be judged in some way or we don't feel safe owning them. And another recent Chanel robbery happening definitely doesn't help ease our worry :frown:
I will hide away or lock my jewelry... but for bags, it's kinda hard. But I doubt the helpers would take the bags away as it would be really obvious that it was her?

I will hide away or lock my jewelry... but for bags, it's kinda hard. But I doubt the helpers would take the bags away as it would be really obvious that it was her?
I was really just using *bags* as an example, I guess what I really meant was luxury goods in general, which can include watches, jewelry, leather goods etc. And if I remember correctly I read some news somewhere before that the housekeeper stole a bag (or however many) and sold for much less worth or something? So I think it does happen, but yes jewelry is probably easier to grab and go than handbags.

I just stumbled across this topic. I think it can be better if someone you know has used the same person for a while and can vouch for them. However, I don't think I'm capable of hiring anyone to clean my place. The reason is that a relative's wife (a friendly woman I would see at holidays and family gatherings) was cleaning homes to make some extra money. Several of her clients were elderly. One woman realized that she was stealing from her, contacted the police, they staged some jewelry, and she fell for it and stole it. If I can't trust family, how on earth am I supposed to trust a stranger?
that is awful. I definitely do not trust some of my family members. But, I rely on personal referrals for domestic help, and so far they are completely trustworthy. It would be too stressful for me to hide or lock away stuff otherwise, and anyway stuff is insured. Besides, the most valuable things in my home are not jewelry or bags.

Eh. I have people that aren’t my family that I trust more than some family members. I also have friends that trust me more than they trust family. I get what you are saying but just because they are family don’t automatically mean they are trustworthy and just because they aren’t family don’t mean they are automatically bad.