Is this the new canvas ?

slayer

I want! I want!
O.G.
Jan 15, 2006
I bought a new laptop sleeve - the Etui MM- does anyone own any etui pieces? I’m wondering if it’s a one off or is this the new canvas, it’s nothing like LV canvas. It’s an awful, thin, plastic feel, like a cheap pencil case. I’m so sad to have paid over $1k AUD for this. Hoping this is not the new canvas and just used for etui pieces. Not much quality control now either - remember when the LV logos would all align on seams/ corners etc ? Not this weird double up .:confused1:

7E3ACF62-14C2-4817-86D4-D22A9F2B807E.jpeg

7BA479CB-B90C-4A1F-89BD-D85A6146AFC8.jpeg

The canvas on the Étui is very soft by design.
And there is no "new canvas". Vuitton always made a wide range, all with different thickness and pliability. The iPhone 4 cases had 3 mm thick rock solid canvas, the Étui is very soft and thinner. By design.
And while symmetry was always a golden rule at Vuitton, pattern alignment never was. That is a myth. There are tons of old products out there that defy it.
This is the classic case of "it you don't like it, return it", which is OK, but it doesn't make the products any less good.

I had this exact portfolio years ago (back in the late 90's), and one thing I do remember about it, is the canvas was very thick. Unfortunately I sold it a few years later so I don't have it to compare to.

Reactions: slayer
The new vs old canvas debate has been going on for a long time now so I look at it like this, what came first the egg or the chicken. I do believe some canvas in bags just suck. Sometimes, you get the less stamped empriente leather too. There has been times I have purchased a bag and said new canvas sucks (my pochette Métis for example) but as I use that bag more I have come to realize I was wrong. It didn’t suck and it just felt like something was off when I first got it if that makes sense. So the choice is up to you. You paid a lot of money for the sleeve and if you are not completely satisfied you should return it. You Should only keep it if you feel good about it, after all it is a “luxury” item.❤️❤️

I bought a new laptop sleeve - the Etui MM- does anyone own any etui pieces? I’m wondering if it’s a one off or is this the new canvas, it’s nothing like LV canvas. It’s an awful, thin, plastic feel, like a cheap pencil case. I’m so sad to have paid over $1k AUD for this. Hoping this is not the new canvas and just used for etui pieces. Not much quality control now either - remember when the LV logos would all align on seams/ corners etc ? Not this weird double up .:confused1:

View attachment 5422515

View attachment 5422516
I own the Etui GM. When I first bought it, I put it in my bag cabinet and a few weeks later when I took it out, the canvas on the corners stuck to the cabinet's wood finish, so YES, it is cheap. I thought perhaps I had gotten a bad batch, but by that time, the return period ended. One of my worst LV purchases. :sick:

Here's a pic the corner. I hope it was just the Etui line. Other Monogram items I purchased afterwards like my cosmetic GM and Speedy 20 are ok, but I do think it's a different grade/thickness of the canvas.20220610_121549.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: COCOLUVR
I put it in my bag cabinet and a few weeks later when I took it out, the canvas on the corners stuck to the cabinet's wood finish, so YES, it is cheap.
It looks like that the cabinet was to blame. After all it stained the Étui, not the other way around.
I know that this really is a soft canvas, but mine fell onto pavements, dirt, withstood rainfall, coffee, soups, was worn completely bent as a clutch and nothing happened to it. Mostly because it is so soft.
I'm really sorry that it got the mark though.

Hey @slayer I'm New to LV but I have the Daily Pouch in mono/rose and I love it because it's so soft, smooth and lush. It really impressed me that canvas could be like that. It's my first ever canvas piece.

I was also attracted to this Color Pouch when overseas, this color pouch which on the Japanese site says Etui as well. Have linked the EU site for English.

https://eu.louisvuitton.com/eng-e1/products/color-pouch-monogram-nvprod3580103v/GI0674

I don't know what Etui is . But when I got home and found this pouch in store locally, I found the canvas was very dry and plasticky, cheap-feelingm . I don't know if it's just that one piece because I can't remember the overseas piece being that way, but I was also much newer to canvas back then.

So maybe if you're not happy, you could ask for an exchange if there's an identical piece available? To see if that piece has nicer canvas? Or refund, because you should be happy with your purchase, no matter what the rest of us say. Bags are as much about how they feel as how they look and function.

Long post but hope that helps. I'm glad you brought up this topic because I was so shocked that the color pouch here was so dry and cheap feeling to me.

Hey @slayer I'm New to LV but I have the Daily Pouch in mono/rose and I love it because it's so soft, smooth and lush. It really impressed me that canvas could be like that. It's my first ever canvas piece.

I was also attracted to this Color Pouch when overseas, this color pouch which on the Japanese site says Etui as well. Have linked the EU site for English.

https://eu.louisvuitton.com/eng-e1/products/color-pouch-monogram-nvprod3580103v/GI0674

I don't know what Etui is . But when I got home and found this pouch in store locally, I found the canvas was very dry and plasticky, cheap-feelingm . I don't know if it's just that one piece because I can't remember the overseas piece being that way, but I was also much newer to canvas back then.

So maybe if you're not happy, you could ask for an exchange if there's an identical piece available? To see if that piece has nicer canvas? Or refund, because you should be happy with your purchase, no matter what the rest of us say. Bags are as much about how they feel as how they look and function.

Long post but hope that helps. I'm glad you brought up this topic because I was so shocked that the color pouch here was so dry and cheap feeling to me.
Vintage LV items from Japan is a whole different animal all together. I am from there and have family still living there and I have to tell you, the bags I bought together with my aunt wore differently. We bought the same bags in Japan but I moved to the states (California) and she stayed in Kyoto. The canvas has changed on the bags. Mine were still soft and not dry but Her bags got hard and dry. I think it must be the climate. Having 4 seasons can be hard on the canvas. Just an opinion. ❤️❤️

Vintage LV items from Japan is a whole different animal all together. I am from there and have family still living there and I have to tell you, the bags I bought together with my aunt wore differently. We bought the same bags in Japan but I moved to the states (California) and she stayed in Kyoto. The canvas has changed on the bags. Mine were still soft and not dry but Her bags got hard and dry. I think it must be the climate. Having 4 seasons can be hard on the canvas. Just an opinion. ❤❤
That's good to know and I agree about the climate. The Color Pouch is a new season item though. The vachetta on the one I found locally felt grainy, too- again, I'm new, I don't know what vachetta is normally like with LV.