How do you figure out how to "wear" your jewelry?

saligator

O.G.
Nov 21, 2006
I've known people who just instinctively know how to wear their jewelry.
They have a great sense of proportion, know what looks good on them, and can figure out fun and interesting "looks" just kind of like... by existing.

I struggle. I find it hard to figure out what necklace goes with what earrings. Can I add a bracelet or rings? How many is too many?

The rule of three is too few for today's layered looks, and the "take off one piece" is also sort of hard to follow.

Please people who are good at this... where did you learn how?

Do you wear the same jewelry with the same outfits or do you switch it up?

It helps to know your body-type you want to draw attention to and the parts of your personality you want to project, and then the best styles in each category for you. Then think about your lifestyle. Then think what the fashion is/rules are.

There are fashions in jewellery but only you know whether following them does you any favours, same with 'rules'.

Eg. I personally don't wear arm-stacks except occasionally Nancy Cunard type wooden/resin/enamel bangles as a fashion statement on a non-work day. Even a lone bracelet can get on my nerves at work. I wear ring stacks and lots of rings quite a lot though. You don't have to do fashion in an obvious way, you can express a trend (if you want) your way.

Jewellery looks best IMO complimenting our bodies and not compensating. We also need to compliment our personalities.

Most importantly your priorities for what's worn and how to wear it.

Ask yourself some questions:

A. Which category is a no brainer for you? This is where you wear jewellery every day and can feel undressed without:
Neck jewellery
Bracelets
Rings
Earrings
other

+

B. If for example you think 'earrings' then ask yourself which are you most likely to wear as everyday every day?:
Simple studs
Statement studs or big clips (like large diamonds or early 1990s buttons)
Small drop
Large hoops
Dangly

C: the what else question:

If you're wearing big dangly earrings as everyday (they're 'in' atm) which draws attention to your face. Are you somebody that can take a lot of jewellery and go for a necklace, bracelet stack and rings, or are the earrings your statement and everything else can stay in the draw? You have to decide what works for you (or just enjoy following fashion/the 'rules'). If I wore dangly earrings (a rare occurrence but I have) I'd wear some rings but no other jewellery.

Another typical example. A = ring, B = E ring and band. If you wear an wg e-ring and wedding everyday band and it's most important that you wear them, do you draw attention to them by not wearing any other rings and perhaps a light-gage wg chain bracelet that kinetically draws eyes to your ring as it moves and catches people's eyes? Or, are the wearing of the rings just obligatory, and use them as a 'neutral', just piling stacks of gold around them coz 'more is more' and it's 2022.

BTW, jewellery fashion is moving the other way again and big, single statement pieces are coming in, or stacks if being worn are mutating to edging dish-mashes (think ironic stacks). Heavy medallions, lockets, weird pearls, and poison rings in, carefully curated and coord multi stacks and charms out. Like anything jewellery trends move slowly so it'll take a while before the mainstream catches-up.

The best you can do is please yourself.

100% agree with @papertiger on jewelry complimenting the body.

When I was younger, I’d have sort of a “fantasy version” of my ideal “fashion self”, which was unfortunately based on people/looks that were not the same body type or body shape. There are pieces of jewelry that I’d love to wear but they’re not something that I can pull off.
For example, I have very small hands and therefore, short fingers. (To give you an idea, with my palms up, my middle finger from the base to the tip is the length of a q-tip) Therefore very wide rings makes my fingers look shorter and chunkier than they really are.
I have “fixed” the issue by growing out my nails haha but my fingers are still on the shorter side.
And since I love rings the most out of the types of jewelry, I am quite picky on what I buy. It has to be something I know I will love and wear for a very long time.

But of course there are personal preferences and then what looks good with other jewelry and the outfit itself. And I think that just comes with experience and trying out things.
There are some pieces that I pretty much never take off but based on the occasion, for a specific look or outfit, I may just take off those daily pieces and put on others to suit the look the best.

What I'm about to say isn't trendy, but I like jewelry sets. In other words, I never buy a lone piece of jewelry; I always buy a matching second piece from the same line by the same designer. As an example, I'll wear matching earrings and ring, and then to break up the total matchy-matchy look, I'll add a third or fourth piece (a couple of bracelets or a necklace) that are different but still coordinate with the first two pieces in terms of metal, style, etc. Plus usually a watch and my wedding ring set. I think having some symmetry in your look is pleasing to the eye.

If you are struggling @saligator, and it sounds like you are, go back and buy a couple of the matching pieces for favorites that you already have in your jewelry box. Doing so can make your whole jewelry box more workable.

Obviously, this approach isn't for everyone. I'm not a fan of these huge stacks in which someone appears to pile on every mismatched bracelet or necklace that they own. I like a more polished, coordinated look rather than an eclectic look.

What I'm about to say isn't trendy, but I like jewelry sets. In other words, I never buy a lone piece of jewelry; I always buy a matching second piece from the same line by the same designer. As an example, I'll wear matching earrings and ring, and then to break up the total matchy-matchy look, I'll add a third or fourth piece (a couple of bracelets or a necklace) that are different but still coordinate with the first two pieces in terms of metal, style, etc. Plus usually a watch and my wedding ring set. I think having some symmetry in your look is pleasing to the eye.

If you are struggling @saligator, and it sounds like you are, go back and buy a couple of the matching pieces for favorites that you already have in your jewelry box. Doing so can make your whole jewelry box more workable.

Obviously, this approach isn't for everyone. I'm not a fan of these huge stacks in which someone appears to pile on every mismatched bracelet or necklace that they own. I like a more polished, coordinated look rather than an eclectic look.
I do the same too, at least 2 matching items. I love bracelets so my match would be either a ring or necklace. I keep my earring simple with diamond studs so I have at less thing to think about.

My max for bracelet stack is 3 and I mix metals with other materials like beads, pearl, etc to break up the look.

I think OP should find classic pieces that can go with anything then build your collection to fit your personality.

I think comfort (both physical and aesthetic) can boost someone's confidence, and people who are confident tend to look good in what they're wearing. Someone my exact size and shape wearing the same outfit and jewelry as me but with more confidence will look better than I do. So if I were you, I'd just try different stuff and see what feels comfortable to wear and fits your personal fashion sense.

This is an interesting approach. I'm not struggling as much as I feel like my jewelry wearing is "boring" and not as creative or intuitive or innovative as I aspire to.

In other words, I can wear pieces, and they kind of go together, but there is a language, tone, and particular way that people who really wear jewelry well, manage to craft looks.

You might be onto something in your matched-but-detached method of distributing coordinated pieces and breaking up the look.

I do the same too, at least 2 matching items. I love bracelets so my match would be either a ring or necklace. I keep my earring simple with diamond studs so I have at less thing to think about.

My max for bracelet stack is 3 and I mix metals with other materials like beads, pearl, etc to break up the look.

I think OP should find classic pieces that can go with anything then build your collection to fit your personality.

Thanks. I have a good collection of classic pieces--I just feel like I don't know how to really "wear" them in stylish ways rather than just "earrings, necklace, ring bracelet" or if Earrings are big, no necklace, and bracelet. Or necklace 3 rings or whatever.

I don't have that natural flow and vocabulary with jewelry. You must have encountered people who just really wear jewelry well--and don't even think about it. I'm trying to figure out how to understand why certain pieces work, or how many, etc. That's what is really hard for me. I have the pieces, I just don't have a talent for putting them together.

• Insightful
Reactions: lethologica and 880
Trial and error. Not buying until I was sure. And, reading a lot of posts here from more knowledgeable jewelry mavens

also, take plenty of action shots, full length to see if the accessories overpower. Experiment with different combos.

we would love to see some of your ideas and pics

do you want to channel elegance; understatement; fun; eclectic? Do you like large scale, or are you minimal?

Also helps to go and try stuff on.

i am IRL much shorter and chunkier than in my imagination, and that also affects wardrobe and accessory choices

Last edited:
It helps to know your body-type you want to draw attention to and the parts of your personality you want to project, and then the best styles in each category for you. Then think about your lifestyle. Then think what the fashion is/rules are.

There are fashions in jewellery but only you know whether following them does you any favours, same with 'rules'.

Eg. I personally don't wear arm-stacks except occasionally Nancy Cunard type wooden/resin/enamel bangles as a fashion statement on a non-work day. Even a lone bracelet can get on my nerves at work. I wear ring stacks and lots of rings quite a lot though. You don't have to do fashion in an obvious way, you can express a trend (if you want) your way.

Jewellery looks best IMO complimenting our bodies and not compensating. We also need to compliment our personalities.

Most importantly your priorities for what's worn and how to wear it.

Ask yourself some questions:

A. Which category is a no brainer for you? This is where you wear jewellery every day and can feel undressed without:
Neck jewellery
Bracelets
Rings
Earrings
other

+

B. If for example you think 'earrings' then ask yourself which are you most likely to wear as everyday every day?:
Simple studs
Statement studs or big clips (like large diamonds or early 1990s buttons)
Small drop
Large hoops
Dangly

C: the what else question:

If you're wearing big dangly earrings as everyday (they're 'in' atm) which draws attention to your face. Are you somebody that can take a lot of jewellery and go for a necklace, bracelet stack and rings, or are the earrings your statement and everything else can stay in the draw? You have to decide what works for you (or just enjoy following fashion/the 'rules'). If I wore dangly earrings (a rare occurrence but I have) I'd wear some rings but no other jewellery.

Another typical example. A = ring, B = E ring and band. If you wear an wg e-ring and wedding everyday band and it's most important that you wear them, do you draw attention to them by not wearing any other rings and perhaps a light-gage wg chain bracelet that kinetically draws eyes to your ring as it moves and catches people's eyes? Or, are the wearing of the rings just obligatory, and use them as a 'neutral', just piling stacks of gold around them coz 'more is more' and it's 2022.

BTW, jewellery fashion is moving the other way again and big, single statement pieces are coming in, or stacks if being worn are mutating to edging dish-mashes (think ironic stacks). Heavy medallions, lockets, weird pearls, and poison rings in, carefully curated and coord multi stacks and charms out. Like anything jewellery trends move slowly so it'll take a while before the mainstream catches-up.

The best you can do is please yourself.

Thanks! This is helpful. I don't really have a favorite place. It depends on the day. I'm really loving a new piece which is the smaller Roberto Coin diamond solitaire YG emerald cut East/West pendant. It is tiny tiny, but I love it. Earrings look odd with it, though, so I'm trying to figure out how to style it.

Is it sort of a visual balance rule that if you are wearing a delicate necklace, the rest of your look needs to be delicate also?

Reactions: papertiger

I've been thinking about this a lot. I thought I didn't have any sets and then I realized that I have a Cartier Trinity 3 gold ring.... and the earrings... and the bangle... So I have one set! I might play around with this concept. Thank you!

Is it sort of a visual balance rule that if you are wearing a delicate necklace, the rest of your look needs to be delicate also?
no, at least I never got that memo :smile:

I've been thinking about this a lot. I thought I didn't have any sets and then I realized that I have a Cartier Trinity 3 gold ring.... and the earrings... and the bangle... So I have one set! I might play around with this concept. Thank you!

I think these might look nice with the Roberto coin necklace you mentioned;

if you are not used to wearing any jewelry, then it all seems like a lot sometimes.

start with wearing what you have, so long as you love the pieces, (they can be your baseline neutral if you want that) then add, subtract, move them around :smile:

and show us pics pls :smile:

I choose my jewelry the same way I choose my outfit for the day: I decide first on a top, or bottom or shoes (whatever I'm excited to wear that day), and then decide on the rest of my outfit around that piece.
Choose something you really want to wear, be it a ring, earrings or a necklace, and decide around that item.
I really enjoy the "art" of getting dressed every day and choosing my accesories is the icing on the cake. Don't be afraid to try combinations in front of a mirror or look for inspiration pictures :smile:. I'm always looking at other people's jewelry and I love to see how they wear it.
HTH!

Trial and error. Not buying until I was sure. And, reading a lot of posts here from more knowledgeable jewelry mavens

also, take plenty of action shots, full length to see if the accessories overpower. Experiment with different combos.

we would love to see some of your ideas and pics

do you want to channel elegance; understatement; fun; eclectic? Do you like large scale, or are you minimal?

Also helps to go and try stuff on.

i am IRL much shorter and chunkier than in my imagination, and that also affects wardrobe and accessory choices

You always give the best advice, but the above recommendation to look at yourself full length is probably the single best piece of advice ever!

• Thanks
Reactions: 880