new to me grey MAB

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
so my first OS bag with fdl lining.....the bottom had several marks on it which came out using Leather CPR. I has a water mark on the front which isn't really noticeable if you're not looking for it. If you are looking for it, you can't miss it. Leather CPR isn't doing anything to that. Lining is in good shape.
I can leave it alone or take the risk of using either shoe cream or vinyl/leather spray dye to try to blend the colors. any opinions?
1633450869253.jpeg
1633450923313.jpeg
1633450951955.jpeg

it really looks a lot worse in the pics (esp that first one). I think @shelby said she uses the shoe cream but it might not work with a water spot
I like the leather and the color.

I like grey bags a lot too! My grey Nikki has a water spot and it's the same way... it isn't very noticeable unless you look at it in a certain light. I was able to blend it in some with conditioner but looks fine enough in person that it wasn't a big deal.

The bag looks great! Except for the water stain, the leather and color looks so nice and love the FDL. I would probably leave the stain alone if it isn't that noticeable, but I'm not good at DIY so wouldn't want to mess with spray dye or even shoe cream and possibly make things worse.

The bag looks great! Except for the water stain, the leather and color looks so nice and love the FDL. I would probably leave the stain alone if it isn't that noticeable, but I'm not good at DIY so wouldn't want to mess with spray dye or even shoe cream and possibly make things worse.
that's what I'm afraid of....but since I took the pics it's bothering me now and I'm throwing every clean and conditon product I have at it......not budging

Last edited:
It would bother me too much to use it... so if it were me, I'd keep trying things. It's such a beauty otherwise!
I've tried almost every product in the house on it, including magic eraser. It seem the water (or whatever) stain has penetrated deep into the leather. Ironic because there were marks on the bottom where it wasn't as important to me and those came off almost perfectly. seems the previous owner wasn't that fastidious and those were just dirt.
So I think probably my only options are to carry it as-is or try some dye to even out the color. My DH is very good at this type of thing but there's still a risk.
Wish me luck.
I don't want to give up on the bag.

Well I would try shoe cream. It's honestly not a risk. Tarrago has nice grey color. I think dye is much much riskier.
The bag is beautiful though!

Reactions: JenJBS
Well I would try shoe cream. It's honestly not a risk. Tarrago has nice grey color. I think dye is much much riskier.
The bag is beautiful though!
you are the wizard at this but do you see there is a big wavy line across the whole bottom half of the bag? that would pretty much have to be covered with a lighter color we think. Nothing is penetrating the finish of the bag to get to the old stain. we don't know if it's water or something else. since the seller said she wasn't aware of it, she's not gonna tell me what it was
Probably no one else would notice it. When you set it down its going to puddle and when it carry it on my shoulder my arm will pretty much cover it. But I know it's there. One way or the other I plan to use this bag.

for the shoe cream - seems it's pretty much only available online?

thanks so much Shelby

Looks like a water stain-it's not the water, it's the chemicals the water leaves behind. So if it were mine, I'd get a grey shoe cream-doesn't have to be exact-and you apply it to the whole front of the bag, not just where the water mark is. Let it dry, buff really well, and repeat. It will take a few times but does dry in 10 minutes or so. The grey and light grey have a slight glaze, I believe the water was inside the bag and spilled.
You can always PM me with any questions.
Did you get the screw yet?

Reactions: LipglossedX
seems like amazon only has steel grey and a charcoal....maybe too dark or too blue?
Amazon.com: Tarrago Shoe Cream Jar 50ml. #14 Steel Gray : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

I called a local cobbler. he said he has grey shoe cream (different brand) but he doesn't recommend using it on bags - just on shoes. He had a heavy accent so I couldn't really get into a detailed conversation with him. He said he would dye the bag.

No screw yet.

thanks so very much :heart:

What if she throws it in the washer ala Shelby ;)???
thanks Antonia.....I'd be willing to try but @shelby is recommending shoe cream....don't know if anything is going to remove that "water line"......guess goal is to blend it. Making me sad because the leather is very nice and I like the color....fll lining, etc.
I knew the risk when I bought it but since the seller claimed she didn't see the damage I hoped it wasn't noticeable. Guess she also didn't notice the missing end of the finished tassel.

Reactions: JenJBS and Shelby33