New eBay Fees on Luxury Bags

The answer is, if the bag qualifies for the new authentication guarantee, eBay sends a link to a shipping label. You don't have to use that label but you're supposed to still use that address, which is their auth service facility, if you're mailing independently.

Maybe the seller simply skipped abiding by the new rule and is in fact sending to you. If so, I wonder what kind of repercussions sellers would incur once eBay detects this.
Thank you very much for explaining the process. It is also strange because I would have imagined I would receive an email from Ebay telling me that my item will be sent to them for authentication, but I never received such an email. I only received a confirmation of my order and then a shipping confirmation. I am not concerned about it, because I always have my items independently authenticated by a service I trust. I do wonder if the seller will receive payment in a timely manner if they did not follow the shipping rules.

So you can see the buyer's address?
Not initially, and not in full. You get to see the last delivery location via tracking.

There are two address-related emails from eBay:
1. After the payment, eBay sends seller a link to the shipping label, which is addressed to their auth service. This label includes the buyer's name and an eBay alphanumerical code, I guess their internal ID for the transaction (it's not the listing no.).

2. Post-authentication, eBay sends an email saying it's been authenticated and will go out to the buyer, with a link to track the order status (FedEx). You can follow the progress and the final destination, but not see the address in full. I communicated the tracking to the buyer but I assume eBay separately sends them that as well.

EBAY.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BeenBurned
Not initially, and not in full. You get to see the last delivery location via tracking.

There are two address-related emails from eBay:
1. After the payment, eBay sends seller a link to the shipping label, which is addressed to their auth service. This label includes the buyer's name and an eBay alphanumerical code, I guess their internal ID for the transaction (it's not the listing no.).

2. Post-authentication, eBay sends an email saying it's been authenticated and will go out to the buyer, with a link to track the order status (FedEx). You can follow the progress and the final destination, but not see the address in full. I communicated the tracking to the buyer but I assume eBay separately sends them that as well.

View attachment 5212848
Thanks for the explanation.

Thanks for all the explanations of the new polices!
I was wondering if I list slgs, not handbags, will this process still happen if the items are over 500?
I have Dior wallet and Dior Bracelets- so not handbags.
Thanks so much!

Thanks for all the explanations of the new polices!
I was wondering if I list slgs, not handbags, will this process still happen if the items are over 500?
I have Dior wallet and Dior Bracelets- so not handbags.
Thanks so much!

It does look like it would apply to wallets, but not the bracelets.

I did a search for "Dior Wallets", chose "Authenticity Guarantee" in the filter/Show only, and the ones over $500 appeared in results.

Reactions: chloebagfreak
I was thinking that they exempt these listings because they are loathe to take on the more expensive shipping at this point.

But actually, the buyer pays the added cost for the shipping, so it must be some complication they face when trying to switch the international shipping to themselves instead of the buyer's actual address.

Switching the address after the sale, without prior disclosure to the buyer and the seller, seems more than a little shady to me to begin with. Not a lawyer, but have wondered if there is some statute that would prohibit something like this.

Last edited:
I'm really interested to see how this all plays out. Higher prices for buyers, I think, will be one result. I've sold on Ebay for years but it is so much easier to just sell directly to FP, Rebag, Yoogi's, TRR, etc. I've gotten some good offers from them over this past year, to the point where it wasn't worth my time to list on Ebay to risk squeezing out a bit more. Now, with higher fees, there is even less incentive.

I was thinking that they exempt these listings because they are loathe to take on the more expensive shipping at this point.

But actually, the buyer pays the added cost for the shipping, so it must be some complication they face when trying to switch the international shipping to themselves instead of the buyer's actual address.

Sounds correct...but not fair LOL.

If they repack the handbag on the seller's behalf, what assurance is there that the authentic item goes to the buyer and the authenticator person doesn't swap it out with a fake. No way in heck I'm ever using ebay to sell my luxury handbags.

Reactions: MAGJES
If they repack the handbag on the seller's behalf, what assurance is there that the authentic item goes to the buyer and the authenticator person doesn't swap it out with a fake. No way in heck I'm ever using ebay to sell my luxury handbags.
Bear in mind that this is the same routine many of us accept when consigning with the major resellers, whether Fashionphile/Yoogis/TRR/Ann's. We elect to trust them because they are luxury goods dealers; that's their business model, and they have legal accountability. But this is certainly not eBay's business model or MO--and ironically, and unnervingly, they've been very vocal dodgers of responsibility for the goods sold on the site. Not too inspiring on the trust issue.

But what baffles me is that those selling from Japan and other international locations, are exempt from this!! The "Authenticity Guarantee" designation does not appear on their listings.
At this time, it's only open to US sellers and US buyers. The description of the program says that in the future, they're hoping to open it to sellers outside the US.

Although they don't state it, I assume the reason it will only be for US buyers is because ebay is forwarding the items to the buyers and they don't want to pay higher prices for international shipping and don't want to deal with customs.

From the program description:
"Only items purchased on eBay.com for U.S. purchasers are eligible for Authenticity Guarantee. Items that are listed on eBay.com but located outside the U.S. for delivery to a buyer located within the U.S. may be available for Authenticity Guarantee soon - check back for updates! However, items that ship to a buyer address outside the U.S. are not eligible for the service at this time. Unincorporated territories (incl. Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) and armed forces postal locations are not currently covered."

Then, I'm worried about what their authentication squad really knows, as in the finer points. What about authentic bags that have ever so slight deviations, because some houses do tinker with details, not all of which are publicly known? I hate that now I have to trust them to get the auth right and to not ship off a messy package to my buyer.
I can show you one real case with such a scenario. The client ( eBay seller) ordered authentication of Hermès bag with third party service. The bag was completely an authentic 2019 Hermès Evelyne bag. After completing authentication, the client sent that message below ( original screenshot). The bag was sold in Sept on eBay under Authenticity Guaranteed rules.

Attachments

• JPG - Copy2.png
    JPG - Copy2.png
    248.5 KB · Views: 48
I can show you one real case with such a scenario. The client ( eBay seller) ordered authentication of Hermès bag with third party service. The bag was completely an authentic 2019 Hermès Evelyne bag. After completing authentication, the client sent that message below ( original screenshot). The bag was sold in Sept on eBay under Authenticity Guaranteed rules.
That person should post that on Ebay's Handbags board. (Ebay started that board primarily to promote their own service. Most of the regulars think the program is a joke.)