New eBay Fees on Luxury Bags

seems quite complicated, so how much would be total with all the ebay fee and paypal fee? Can someone good at math find out? I'm dizzy with all the numbers
There's no PP fee because ebay collects the fees through managed payments. (Buyers still can use PP.)

So it's 15% (or 9%) of the total (item price, shipping charge, sales tax collected for buyer's state). If item is returned by the buyer, ebay retains 30 cents. (When Paypal collected the payments, paypal retained entire FVF fee.)

I'm reading it as ANY bag less than $2k is going to be charged 15% FVF. That would include even a $30 wristlet!

I agree. That's how I read it too. Bags $1 - $2,000 will be charged 15% + .30 per order. Bags over $2,000 will be charged at 9% + .30 per order.

I think it's not right that a sale between $1,201 - $1,999 is going to pay more in final value fees than a $2,000 sale.

I think it's not right that a sale between $1,201 - $1,999 is going to pay more in final value fees than a $2,000 sale.
This is totally traditional fee structuring, in line with any professional auction firm (whether land based or virtual). Bigger-ticket items get the break.

Last edited:
There's no PP fee because ebay collects the fees through managed payments. (Buyers still can use PP.)

So it's 15% (or 9%) of the total (item price, shipping charge, sales tax collected for buyer's state). If item is returned by the buyer, ebay retains 30 cents. (When Paypal collected the payments, paypal retained entire FVF fee.)
Thank you so much for your clear explanation! :heart::heart:

What happens if a buyer who pays with PayPal files a dispute with PayPal?

What happens if a buyer who pays with PayPal files a dispute with PayPal?
I've had it happen.

It comes through on your ebay account as a "chargeback" even if it's not an unauthorized transaction dispute but instead, buyer claims non-receipt. You respond with tracking and although it takes longer than it used to, ebay will eventually close the dispute in your favor in a few days. In my case, IIRC, it was nearly a week before they closed it and I called a couple of times to rattle cages.

If it's SNAD, you'll have to respond to accept the return and pay for return shipping.

This is totally traditional fee structuring, in line with any professional auction firm (whether land based or virtual). Bigger-ticket items get the break.

True. I guess Ebay was doing this before as well, it's just the final value fee decrease occurred on sales over $7,500. Now, they've lowered it to $2,000. I never noticed because i never sell anything worth close to $7,500.

Yep. Just went through this delightful process. Packaged my bag fully stuffed and padded in a large sturdy box, suitable for storage. I always package any bag I sell inside its freshly laundered and ironed dustbag, with a note placed on top. I sent it USPS, 2 day shipping, fully insured, in its large 3.2lb box, last Monday to my buyer in my same state. The bag was diverted out of state, repackaged in a 2lb box, forwarded by FedEx, and is finally, we hope, out for delivery over a week after I shipped it.

Have no idea if these authenticators are competent.
I saw an Hermès Constance, new condition, for under $1000 (I think it was about $400?!), listed as authenticated by eBay. No one, but no one, is selling an authentic bag at that price.

• Wow
Reactions: lulu212121
I saw an Hermès Constance, new condition, for under $1000 (I think it was about $400?!), listed as authenticated by eBay. No one, but no one, is selling an authentic bag at that price.

If the seller listed at under $500, they don't have to go through Ebay's authentication process/service so we may see a lot of fakes listed just under the $500 mark going forward.

I double-checked and it was $708. But still. Marked as authenticated.

Is this listing marked as "Authenticity Guaranteed" at the top?
I have a bag selling for more than $500 and it has that label at the top of the listing title but I haven't had to send it anywhere yet. Sellers don't have to send the bag to Ebay's authentication service until after it sells. Then you pack it up and ship it to Ebay and they look at it and decide if it is authentic and then ship it directly to the buyer. I'm not enthused about this process as I always carefully wrap up my bags and try to make the packaging pretty and I can imagine that isn't going to last through the authentication process. ETA: So, hopefully, if this fake H sells, it will go to Ebay for the authenticity check and they will recognize it as a fake and cancel the transaction. I don't think sellers will get a bag that is determined to be fake back either. I think I read that somewhere.

Is this listing marked as "Authenticity Guaranteed" at the top?
I have a bag selling for more than $500 and it has that label at the top of the listing title but I haven't had to send it anywhere yet. Sellers don't have to send the bag to Ebay's authentication service until after it sells. Then you pack it up and ship it to Ebay and they look at it and decide if it is authentic and then ship it directly to the buyer. I'm not enthused about this process as I always carefully wrap up my bags and try to make the packaging pretty and I can imagine that isn't going to last through the authentication process. ETA: So, hopefully, if this fake H sells, it will go to Ebay for the authenticity check and they will recognize it as a fake and cancel the transaction. I don't think sellers will get a bag that is determined to be fake back either. I think I read that somewhere.
Yes, it was marked with the Authenticity checkmark both in the thumbnail and on the listing. It has since been taken down, which is even more interesting. The bag was pretty clearly fake from the photos.

I get that eBay incurs much less cost by verifying after a sale, but it's REALLY REALLY deceiving to customers who pay for a bag that is listed as authenticated. I mean, they don't say "Authenticity Will Be Checked After You Buy". They say it's guaranteed. And what are our increased fees paying for?

It's a bummer to me. I have sold high-level bags on eBay and had solidly great experiences with only ONE bad buyer, but no way am I packaging up a Birkin and then letting eBay handle it before the buyer gets it. And what if they get it wrong and deem a real bag fake? I guess my eBay seller days are over.

Yep. Just went through this delightful process. Packaged my bag fully stuffed and padded in a large sturdy box, suitable for storage. I always package any bag I sell inside its freshly laundered and ironed dustbag, with a note placed on top. I sent it USPS, 2 day shipping, fully insured, in its large 3.2lb box, last Monday to my buyer in my same state. The bag was diverted out of state, repackaged in a 2lb box, forwarded by FedEx, and is finally, we hope, out for delivery over a week after I shipped it.

Have no idea if these authenticators are competent.
Update to the above. My bag was forwarded as authenticated, landing with buyer a week after I shipped it. It was missing most of the stuffing and all of the surrounding padded shipping material, placed in an ebay dustbag, with the original dustbag inside, the bag itself folded in half in order to fit into a smaller box.

I guess this is to save on their part of the shipping cost. Call me crazy, but the buyer should receive their bag in the condition in which it was originally shipped.