Prince Harry and Meghan Markle thread

I went back to work after 9 months full maternity leave with each of my children, and I have been called a “rabbenmutter” (raven mother, a common expression for mothers who work), and been given more side glances and snarky comments that I can count of the type: you are so brave to trust strangers with your kid, or, I would never want anyone but my wife to feed our child...

That sounds super sexist! In my part of the world maternity leave is only 4 months so people just go back to work whether they are ready or not. And lots of women work so it’s more sympathetic nods from other women and the men… I do find reactions vary depending on whether their wives work or not. The old fashioned ones… well, let’s not talk about them.

He discussed baby names with every woman he dated? No wonder he had no takers till Methane came along with her world domination goals.

I wouldn't be worried about the media. By naming her the way they did, she is going to be name-shamed her entire life. The current controversy is going to be mentioned every time someone writes about her.
Yes, I feel so sorry about the awkwardness of the name ... and the baby has two controversial names, neither is without baggage - she could not easily use her middle name instead

Diana's brother had two daughters named Kitty and Katia, well, after a few years Katia chose to use her middle name of Amelia to avoid confusion

There should always be a non controversial name in the list ... just in case

Agreed, but it should be a Brit. Just as I don't like H telling Americans what to think/do/who to vote for/opinions on on the Constitution & Amendments.
Agree, it is awkward for a person of one culture to comment on another ...

I say that from experience - lived in the US - where I picked up American English on the street as my 3rd language, and I had maybe two slim years of US history with the Constitution
Raised by an English Welsh granny who taught me the queen's English English table manners and the magna charta
But went to a French language school for 12 years due to Swiss family, French is my first language, learned the French national anthem and Napoleonic/French code of laws (it is still relevant)

I know a lot about each culture - I know more about the Napoleonic code than most Americans, but not as much as a native French person
You should watch me at a dinner table ... I try to figure out whether American, French or English table manners are being used by most of the others, and then adapt, complicated

Agree, it is awkward for a person of one culture to comment on another ...

I say that from experience - lived in the US - where I picked up American English on the street as my 3rd language, and I had maybe two slim years of US history with the Constitution
Raised by an English Welsh granny who taught me the queen's English English table manners and the magna charta
But went to a French language school for 12 years due to Swiss family, French is my first language, learned the French national anthem and Napoleonic/French code of laws (it is still relevant)

I know a lot about each culture - I know more about the Napoleonic code than most Americans, but not as much as a native French person
You should watch me at a dinner table ... I try to figure out whether American, French or English table manners are being used by most of the others, and then adapt, complicated
English Welsh granny?

Reactions: Traminer
Yeah the discussing Diana thing gives me the creeps. I get the vibe he cries after sex. If not before and during.
This is why I don’t think that M is some kind of a sexpert because I feel like they’d be a bit more content with life ;)

Now I have the image of Harry sitting on the edge of the bed sobbing like a little girl. I DID NOT need that! :lol:

:yw:
LOL
Nah------just been so busy. Turning 65 this year and contemplating retirement, getting pension estimates, SS, etc. Trying to get as much done as possible while I still have employer health/dental insurance. All while working and trying to get the cat to a vet that could help him. Three had turned him down before I FINALLY got him in on Monday. :yahoo:I'd been trying to get him neutered since last year but the pandemic cancelled all elective surgeries. He has breathing issues and the previous vets didn't feel comfortable putting him under. :sleeping:
Many people are being 'persuaded' to retire by this pandemic. One of my very career oriented friends that never wanted to talk about the possibility of retiring, is now very excited planning it. There is life after work. :lol: Hope all goes well with pension calculations and the neutering of the cat.
On topic, Cringe and Ginger may need a fat pension from the BRF. The way they spend money is :girlshocked:

Mothers get 16 weeks maternity leave with full salary in my country and they can share part of it with fathers. I've had team mates extend it to half a year by using their own vacation leave (4 to 6 weeks), childcare entitlement days and a few weeks of no-pay leave. Some who are not wanting for income even take a year off (we have colleagues who are independently wealthy and don't really need to work).

As a supervisor in these Covid times when many are working from home, I was quite stunned when a new mum under my charge didn't plan any childcare arrangements. She quite naively thought that she could work from home forever and take care of her baby. Maybe it would have been possible if she was doing flexitime work or results-based tasks, but she is working a support job that requires her to be online and interacting with others from 8.30am to 6pm. I can't even adjust her role and offer her some form of flexitime because she has a history of poor time management and going MIA on the job :sad:
I've had 2 C sections. Both times I was sent home post op day 2, and got 6 weeks off. With the first "leave", due to an HR screw up, I didn't get paid at all. The second one, I actually timed between switching jobs so I could get 8 weeks off. My new job tried to get me to come in at 2 weeks post surgery! For the first time in my life, I stood up for myself and said no way. They threatened they'd move on and find someone else! I basically told them to F off. I got 6 weeks, but they made my life hell for a couple years after that. Call me callous, but I don't have much sympathy for the women that bi**h they "only" had a year off. I would've loved even 4 months off.

Agreed, but it should be a Brit. Just as I don't like H telling Americans what to think/do/who to vote for/opinions on on the Constitution & Amendments.

Agreed. As someone born in one country, raised in another and now living and working in a 3rd; sometimes when you're a guest, it's better to stay out of anything political or really anything that might divide your peers over...it's not really your place and you don't have the same amount of knowledge of the country and culture as those born and raised there to really grasp any nuances on these issues. At least wait until you've actually lived there a while,; learn a little, live a little and start understanding the little bits and pieces that make up the country, then sure, start entering those conversations. But until you've committed to that country and that society and that culture...don't.

You can have an opinion but that doesn't mean you have to shove it in everyone's face.

Last edited:
Agreed. As someone born in one country, raised in another and now living and working in a 3rd; sometimes when you're a guest, it's better to stay out of anything political or really anything that might divide your peers over...it's not really your place and you don't have the same amount of knowledge of the country and culture as those born and raised there to really grasp any nuances on these issues.

You can have an opinion but that doesn't mean you have to shove it in everyone's face.

Yes, and students like him do it to feed their egos and hope to get famous for accomplishing something they consider to be daring. Society is encouraging it with all of the "be an instrument of change" rhetoric that is constantly being pushed on us.

Not all change is necessary or good. And just because you want to change something that has been around for a long time doesn't automatically mean you should be admired. (Boy, am I in the right thread for that statement.)

and the H&M love from American tv continues....turned on TV and the Today Show was on (I don't watch that show but it popped up). Al Roker and some woman cast member (WOC) were talking about the baby naming. I just caught the tail end but she said something like she named her kid after her grandma and told grandma after the fact. the woman and al agreed this is an honor and said (half joking i guess) "we don't want to hear from the BBC"

I don't think her grandma is the queen of England :smile:

Gawd