What’s your unpopular Hermes opinion?

I am not sure why people talk about their Hermes “journey”. Are we going somewhere? Is this a quest to score or pick up (annoying terms used frequently by YT) a Kelly or Birkin?
Well, I would have said "to hell in a handbasket" but given we're talking H here: to hell in an exquisite Kelly picnic with yellow leather detailing. :lol:

But back to fanning the flames of discord of this thread:

My unpopular opinion, derived from a question in that now-closed thread on a certain YouTube video, is that not everyone who shops at Hermès has "a B/K/C bag offer" goal – truthfully and honestly. Sure, some of us may pick up bags or be offered those along the way, but I personally did not become a customer because I wanted a Birkin or a Kelly.

In fact, I remember very clearly that I did not want a Kelly because I felt they aged me (I want one now but well, I feel old even with a plastic bag), was a bit on the fence about the Birkin but was tempted after hanging out in real life with some tPF ladies (yet turned down every single B offer) and was indifferent to Constance (but I have a vintage one). What I do love about Hermès is the craftsmanship and the quality of the materials used. I'm a sucker for those things in every. Single. Aspect of my life, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this. :sunnies:

My unpopular opinion, derived from a question in that now-closed thread on a certain YouTube video, is that not everyone who shops at Hermès has "a B/K/C bag offer" goal – truthfully and honestly. Sure, some of us may pick up bags or be offered those along the way, but I personally did not become a customer because I wanted a Birkin or a Kelly.

Yes, thank you! My first visit to my local H store was to check out their shoes! I saw some beautiful sandals on their website, but was unsure of my sizing so I decided to go to the store first.

I don’t think shopping would be fun if constantly had thoughts on “bag strategy” and buying certain items as if this is a video game and there are cheat codes.

My experience has been so pleasant and yes I would absolutely love a Kelly, but as I even told my SA I am in no sort of rush for anything.

My opinion I would like to share is your SA is not your friend! You can be friendly and have a relationship, but at the end of the day it is a business relationship. I am a lawyer and if I viewed my clients as friends or if they thought of me as such that would make me so uncomfortable. We can be friendly and trust one another while getting to know each other, but there are boundaries.

I am not sure why people talk about their Hermes “journey”. Are we going somewhere? Is this a quest to score or pick up (annoying terms used frequently by YT) a Kelly or Birkin?
This! I cringe at those words and phrases like "H haul" etc!

1000%+ journey, haul, score etc? Do people say that about shopping with other brands?
I consider H a store I shop at. Maybe the drive to the mall is the journey?

1000%+ journey, haul, score etc? Do people say that about shopping with other brands?

H Journey is quite odd IMO (so sorry to all that like it or are on one).

Sounds to me like wanting to experiment with soft-drug-silks and hoping to end-up a complete H-addict - end of the road: I have to score Himalayan croc/diamond B 25 NOW!!!! :hysteric:

This! I cringe at those words and phrases like "H haul" etc!

Barf. I just used the word haul the other day and now I’m cringing :lol: —I usually only use that word when shopping at thrift store.

The word “Journey” is so overused. I just feel people add this non-sensical weight to it as if they have been hand picked by the Hermès gods themselves and now they’re on their path to enlightenment —Honey, they just want your money. Being offered a bag is just an insanely creative way to incentivize in-store purchases by creating an imaginary scarcity of these quota sacs. I bet you if we lined up all the Kelly etoupes of the world we could circle the globe at least 46 times.

“Score!” This must be some kind of sports thing? I dare you ladies to scream out GOAAAALLLLL!!! and run around the store when being offered a new bag. Btw, I can’t throw or catch a sports ball of any kind.

Last edited:
i know -- its such smart marketing... the bag has to be "offered".. its not like it's free!

Barf. I just used the word haul the other day and now I’m cringing :lol: —I usually only use that word when shopping at thrift store.

The word “Journey” is so overused. I just feel people add this non-sensical weight to it as if they have been hand picked by the Hermès gods themselves and now they’re on their path to enlightenment —Honey, they just want your money. Being offered a bag is just an insanely creative way to incentivize in-store purchases by creating an imaginary scarcity of these quota sacs. I bet you if we lined up all the Kelly etoupes of the world we could circle the globe at least 46 times.

“Score!” This must be some kind of sports thing? I dare you ladies to scream out GOAAAALLLLL!!! and run around the store when being offered a new bag. Btw, I can’t throw or catch a sports ball of any kind.

THIS. 1,000,000% THIS.

Unless of course you're talking about "the journey your SA takes to go around the store to find something for you" :whut:

*raises hand* I'm one of those people! I'll want to get another toolbox someday and eventually hope some Rouge H Kelly Jumping Boots appear in Size 46 (LOLOLOL as if!), but don't have any real specific bag offer goals. I'm not closed to the idea of them...a large white Kelly and the Harness Birkin are both on my list, but I'm not making them a goal, and I still want the Toolbox a lot more. I also have a silly dream of owning a Feather Kelly one day, but I'll never be that special a customer, so am not even worried about it :lol:

I see why and I think it is an appropriate word....people get lost and/or get burned on their journeys sometimes lol :lol:

Last edited:
The perforated 'H' logo on the Evelyne bag bugs the heck out of me, and I have no idea why.

Also, the shoulder Birkin looks like a Warner Brother's character (Wile E. Coyote) ran it over with a dump truck in his never ending quest to catch the Roadrunner.
OMG, couldn't agree more, and the reason why I don't have an Evelyne.

My unpopular opinion - I don't understand why H adds diamonds to some bags. For me, the ultimate sophistication comes from the materials used, the timelessness of the designs of a B or K and the craftsmanship. For me, additional "frills" (no matter how exquisite/expensive they may be) actually disctract from these qualities. But maybe I am just a basic b*&%$ :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: