Florentine Smith Bag?

D

Deleted 730019

Thoughts on this bag? Looks pretty large and would be a great work bag for me. Do the straps stay on your shoulder? Is it a similar space to the large domed buckle satchel?

PF: I don't own the Smith Bag. I have looked at it, and considered it many times.
Several years ago I carried it around the Dooney boutique. Even at that time,
I remember it as being on the heavy side. I haven't compared the weight to the
Flo buckle satchel.

The Smith is about the size of the 'medium' Flo satchel. It's a little lighter, as I recall,
because it doesn't have as much belting , but it does have the outside pocket.
It also doesn't have the rolled handles, which add weight to the medium satchel.

The Smith bag is loved by many. And from their YT videos, the straps are good....
long enough and stay on the shoulder.

The Smith is very tempting...good size, very functional, and of course Florentine leather.
The Smith is an E/W bag, while the Flo buckle satchel is N/S. Also, the Smith has the
outside pocket, on the plus side, but the foldover smile zipper, which, while long enough,
isn't as easy to open as the domed zipper closure on the Flo buckle satchel (in my opinion).

Looking back, I wish I had bought every old school Flo bag that crossed my path.
The detailing and overall design is much nicer than the current crop of Flo bags,
again my personal opinion. I feel the same way (times 10) about Alto designs.

Reactions: Brendutch
I was not familiar with this style so I took a look on Ebay. It is a very nice bag. Two listings have the weight at 1 lb 14 oz do you think that is a misprint? It seems very light for a large Florentine bag.

I was not familiar with this style so I took a look on Ebay. It is a very nice bag. Two listings have the weight at 1 lb 14 oz do you think that is a misprint? It seems very light for a large Florentine bag.
I agree with you.... that weight must be a misprint.
An old QVC listing has the Smith bag at 3lbs 1 oz.
That seems about right to me. The medium Flo satchel is 2 lbs 15 oz, I think.

Last edited:
I have the Smith bag. I love this bag. I love how the Florentine satchel looks ( I particularly love the natural), but it is not the bag for me. I prefer shoulder bags, and the strap of the satchel is too thin. The Smith bag is my happy medium: it has more or less the look of the satchel, but has double straps. I also love the front and back pockets. The only negative is the weight. But, the double straps makes her to stay comfortably on the shoulders, and distribute the weight evenly. You can also open the bag with one hand ( like a tote bag). I have it in chestnut, and I’m seriously considering buying the natural.

Very good...just found a like new smith bag in Bordeaux. Can't wait to get it...been patiently waiting for a good deal.
I'm sure you will love the Smith.... it's very similar in size to the medium Flo satchel, which I know is
one of your favs. The longer strappy handles and front pocket make the Smith very functional and easy
to carry. And Bordeaux Flo is a great color. Glad you found a great deal.

Went a bit crazy...bought a Bordeaux Smith and Red Nylon Smith.....never tried Nylon before...so we shall see.
Well, 2 bags isn't crazy! :smile:
I'm a leather snob, but in the last year, I've bought a number of Dooney nylon handbags...
for the lighter weight and also for ease of cleaning during the pandemic.
I'm IMPRESSED with most of the Dooney nylon. All but 1 of the styles.

The 'older' styles are a very high quality, thick nylon, with a texture that almost looks and feels
like a canvas. They look great. And the leather trim is as high a quality as on expensive
Dooney leather bags. I've bought several of the large double zip domed satchel, one shopper,
and one crossbody.

My only disappointing nylon was from the newer Wayfarer collection with the stripped lining.
That nylon is thin and has a shine. It doesn't keep the shape of the bag and doesn't look
high end. I wanted to try the collection and the Domed Satchel is my go to shape and
the red called my name. It would have looked better in black or navy, or better yet,
I should have returned it.... but didn't.

So, bottom line..... the older nylon is a winner and I would buy more, except I don't need it....
I already have black, navy, khaki, red (old and new nylon), and wine (in one style or another).

I hope your Smith bags are winners for you. The old nylon fabric I have in red is really nice...
it's the newer Wayfarer one I don't like.

Went a bit crazy...bought a Bordeaux Smith and Red Nylon Smith.....never tried Nylon before...so we shall see.

Hi!
I bought a navy nylon Smith bag in 2012 or 2013 when it was on sale at a great price at Belk's. (They only had blue which is why I didn't get red. :lol: ) I completely agree with @lavenderjunkie that the older nylon is a winner! I enjoyed carrying it but at the time I was more attached to leather bags (and red, of course.) My cousin, who used to go with my BFF and me to the Dooney Outlet in Aurora once a month loved my nylon Smith bag but at the time her budget didn't allow her to purchase new bags. I knew at some point soon that bag would end up in the back of my closet, passed over for a red leather bag, so I gifted it to my cousin. She loved it and carried it all the time. Every month after that, until I moved to CA April, 2014, she carried the bag and truly loved it! I hope you enjoy both your Smith bags! I can't wait for your pics/reviews! :smile:

Reactions: Brendutch
I sure will post....found another one to wear to work that can be beat up...so I'll have a Bordeaux, red nylon, and natural smith...good work bags. Will post pictures when they arrive. What impressed me were the double handles...easier to carry than my medium flo satchels for work...

Here they are....love my Smiths. So easy to carry under my arm...can open the bag without taking off my shoulder...doesn't seem as heavy medium flo satchel at all. Love the outer pockets...tucks so well against my waist....I love it...may end up selling a few of my medium flos for upgrades......I have a tmoro smith on its way already...LOL

Attachments

• 20210318_173745.jpg
    20210318_173745.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210318_173726.jpg
    20210318_173726.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 20