Which ring should I pick?

charmander55

Jun 23, 2017
Hey guys! I have set my heart on a Cartier engagement ring, specifically the round halo design. I am unsure which colour to pick.
My choices are:
1.54 E vs1 $61,500
1.4 D vvs1 $54,500
1.7 G vs2 $55,500
1.7 G vvs1 $67,000

I’m unsure if I should pick a higher colour or a bigger ring. What do you think?? Thanks in advance. (Prices are quoted in CAD).

Tough choice. The cut proportions are extremely important though in respect to the inclusion locations. Since you’re going Cartier, I’m assuming the cut proportions are excellent. You also want to make sure there is minimal fluorescence.

1.7 G VVS1 (round)

Now, having said that, I have a 1.67 G VS1 (round) with excellent cut proportions that I am extremely pleased with.

Good luck!

Tough choice. The cut proportions are extremely important though in respect to the inclusion locations. Since you’re going Cartier, I’m assuming the cut proportions are excellent. You also want to make sure there is minimal fluorescence.

1.7 G VVS1 (round)

Now, having said that, I have a 1.67 G VS1 (round) with excellent cut proportions that I am extremely pleased with.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. Is your ring from Cartier as well? Do u feel like your ring looks yellowish compared to other higher colour diamonds? My boyfriend insists he ‘sees’ yellowish elements in the G colour rings than none of us can see lol

Thanks for the reply. Is your ring from Cartier as well? Do u feel like your ring looks yellowish compared to other higher colour diamonds? My boyfriend insists he ‘sees’ yellowish elements in the G colour rings than none of us can see lol

Who grades them? GIA AGS or is it Cartier independently? With diamonds in that size for that brand premium price I would want to see the Cert and for me either a GIA or AGS Cert so I can see angles and what the professionals say about it. It is possible when those diamonds are side by side he (your boyfriend) can detect color differences. But likely you will not walk around with a G next to other diamonds to compare while wearing it so I am sure it still looks very white. If it is indeed certed that way from a reputable organization.

Generally speaking, and highly personal, size would always be my last concern. I'd buy a smaller but better color/cut/"fiery" ... stone over "simply" a larger one. Especially if it's a branded piece.

That said, the 1.7 G VVS1 can speak more to you than the 1.54 E VS1 without size being the main driving factor. Go with your heart, rather than "by the book".

But I also agree, always check the (independent) paperwork, and remember it's only valid as long as the stone is physically attached to it.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Mine is not from Cartier nor Tiffany. I personally do not care for their mark-up on diamonds....yet I realize the irony given I still purchase the Love, JUC, etc.

Luckily, we had a connection — a jeweler friend in Scottsdale who was kind enough to sell the diamond to us at wholesale price which was an incredible, unbelievable deal. He was an extreme perfectionist and chose the inclusions in a particular spot to ensure the inclusions were hidden. I remember it taking him a while to find the best cut with the inclusions in the right “hidden” spot with the setting.

I think you can get your ideal diamond at a really great price elsewhere — it sounds like your heart is set on Cartier though. There is certainly nothing wrong with that either. It will be beautiful regardless!

Can you see them in real life? If so just pick the one you feel is the most beautiful and don’t think too much about gradings and such... if you buy from cartier you don’t have to worry about this kind of stuff, they’re supposed to have already selected the best stones for you!

Of course you could see color differences between a D and a G if you have it right next to each other. But as someone already mentioned, you do not see that anymore if you have just a G color diamond on your finger. However, on coloring, a D could also look a bit 'bleuish' because it is so colorless. I assume Cartier has all excellent cuts and no fluorescence. I would want to see them all and pick with your gut feeling. For me clarity and color is more important than size. But it is just my personal opinion.