First Necklace, advice

BagsRLoVe

O.G.
Jan 9, 2011
Hi everyone,

I am buying my first piece of VCA jewelry as a combined gift for graduating residency and birthday. I have narrowed it down to three necklaces. I was wondering if anyone has any insight to any of them and how they hold up over time. MOP (in either yellow gold or white good) vs onyx. I wear very minimal jewelry (usually just wedding band). Wardrobe is very neutral.

Thanks for any help !

Hi and Congratulations on graduating your residency and HappyBirthday!
I am a longtime collector and I if I were you I would get either the Yellow gold mother-of-pearl or the white gold MOP.
It is usually a personal preference as far gold color and it seems we usually stick with the same gold color for future purchases.
Good Luck and let us know what you decide! The vintage alhambra line of VCA is an awesome starting point for you. The VCA pieces I purchased many years ago I still wear & LOVE today!

Hi and Congratulations on graduating your residency and HappyBirthday!
I am a longtime collector and I if I were you I would get either the Yellow gold mother-of-pearl or the white gold MOP.
It is usually a personal preference as far gold color and it seems we usually stick with the same gold color for future purchases.
Good Luck and let us know what you decide! The vintage alhambra line of VCA is an awesome starting point for you. The VCA pieces I purchased many years ago I still wear & LOVE today!

Thank you so much ! It is good to know you are still getting good use out of them years later. I'm leaning away from Onyx and more towards the gold MOP.

Reactions: kimber418
Congrats on your residency!! What is your specialty?
I was also torn between yellow and white gold when I first started purchasing VCA years ago, now have both. Can’t go wrong with either. Do you have any thoughts on what earrings you would wear with the necklace? Perhaps that would help decide it....

It is silver. Leaning towards MOP but still confused over gold vs white gold. I have olive skin and thinking maybe gold will stand out more.

It is a personal preference the color of gold. Can you go to a VCA boutique and try them both on? My wedding set is platinum and all of my VCA is yellow gold. I am not into "matching" all my gold colors and I do not think it is that important but again it is a personal preference. Good luck in making your decision for your first piece of VCA.

I initially wanted onyx, but once I tried it on, it was meh on my skin tone. The MOP on other hand was a good contrast that looked really good. But after I got MOP, I tried on malachite pendant and it was just perfect. So, I’d recommend you to go physically to store and try every single stone color as you never know which will complement your skin tone the best.
P.S. I looove my MOP despite the fact that malachite looked best out of all stones I tried on

I would choose MOP (in the gold that compliments your skin tone best). I also did try both in store and I find the onyx to be a bit harsh on my skin tone (yes it stood out more, but the MOP made me/my face look a bit softer. I have blond hair). Some people look very good in onyx/MOP, but it may not all look that good on you. So if you can try in store, please do. As for the MOP there are a lot of differences in the coloring/nature of the stone. If you go for that one, I would recommend to ask for a few to choose from. Since everyone is different. You have to be more careful with lotion/perfume etc. with the MOP (you cannot put it on directly as it will dull the MOP and ruin the stone). Onyx is less maintenance. Something to consider.

Hi everyone,

I am buying my first piece of VCA jewelry as a combined gift for graduating residency and birthday. I have narrowed it down to three necklaces. I was wondering if anyone has any insight to any of them and how they hold up over time. MOP (in either yellow gold or white good) vs onyx. I wear very minimal jewelry (usually just wedding band). Wardrobe is very neutral.

Thanks for any help !

I have the YG MOP and YG Onyx pendant and both are stunning. However, the MOP gets more compliments than the Onyx...people keep saying it brightens up my face. I love both but judging by other peoples comments, I'd recommend the MOP as your first necklace...It was mine =)

They are all beautiful but it really comes down to how it looks against your skin. I have tried all of this expecting to love the mother of pearl, but it does nothing for me and sorta looks washed out. Same with the white gold. The onyx however, pops! It will be different for everyone so the best is really to try for yourself.

congrats on your accomplishments you are celebrating!!!

Reactions: Notorious Pink