First designer bag Lady Dior medium vs Fendi Peekaboo Medium

Chanotchka

Aug 23, 2020
Hey all, I'm new here.
I decided to join this forum because of a slight dilemma I'm having. For my birthday in March I'd like to purchase my first designer handbag. I'm debating between the classic fendi peekaboo in black or the lady dior medium in gray (not the matte, preferably rose/ champagne gold hardware). On the website I don't see the gray anymore, will it come back?

In any case, I tend to gravitate towards bigger bags, I like to carry a lot of stuff with me, other than that what I look for in a bag is:

Classic style (timeless)
Structured
Doesn't scream logo
Not every second person owns this style
Fits quite a lot
Versatile (day time/ evening, dressed up/ dressed down etc)

I think both bags can match quite a lot on that list, but I simply love the brand of Dior more.
Other than that I'm not sure the lady dior medium will fit enough for my lifestyle and I don't want to ruin it by stuffing it with things.
I love the look of the peekaboo as well and it's a little larger than the Lady.
This is basically my dilemma: practicality vs brand/ look etc.
For example: I'd probably take the Peekaboo to work on most days while I'd use the Lady for outside work mostly or on certain days only.

What do you all think?
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: ItsPurseonal
i think for your first luxury bag it would be nice to have one you can use often rather than one you can only bring out for special occasions cos you are worried you may ruin it. i say buy one for practicality first, and once you save up, buy one for special occasions!
Thanks for your reply. I simply wouldn't use the Lady dior for work, because I'm scared that it wouldn't have enough space to carry my things. But it wouldn't be a "special occasion bag" only.

I love both styles and think your head is in the right place - you can't go wrong with either! I personally think the Fendi is more carefree, versatile and more comfortable to be worn crossbody, but I prefer the beautiful style of the Lady. The leather on the Lady is also more delicate and for your first luxury bag you should be able to use it all the time without worrying (assuming you'd go with the grained leather for the peekaboo). I can't compare the size of the two because I've only tried on the Fendi, but I agree with you that it has a ton of room without looking like a bulky bag.

Another thought - neither of these bags hold their value very well on the resale/preloved market (don't ask me why because I don't understand it!), so you could probably get one of each if you're willing to shop preloved and stretch the budget a tiny bit.

I love both styles and think your head is in the right place - you can't go wrong with either! I personally think the Fendi is more carefree, versatile and more comfortable to be worn crossbody, but I prefer the beautiful style of the Lady. The leather on the Lady is also more delicate and for your first luxury bag you should be able to use it all the time without worrying (assuming you'd go with the grained leather for the peekaboo). I can't compare the size of the two because I've only tried on the Fendi, but I agree with you that it has a ton of room without looking like a bulky bag.

Another thought - neither of these bags hold their value very well on the resale/preloved market (don't ask me why because I don't understand it!), so you could probably get one of each if you're willing to shop preloved and stretch the budget a tiny bit.
Thanks a lot!
I'd go for the more delicate leather in both bags (well the lady dior only has one leather option afaik), and I'm not one to be incredibly mindful of my bags
In any case I have this idea in my head that I should buy my first designer bag from the boutique, preferably in the country of origin
And I'm a little hesitant/ sceptical/ scared to buy preloved, so that will not be an option this time.

Both are gorgeous bags!! You really can’t go wrong.

In terms of everyday use, do you need a laptop to fit? Is weight an important factor? (I don’t have the Fendi but my dolce and gabbana tote is too heavy. I don’t use it as much as I thought I would).

Try out both and get the one that makes you happy. You are looking at neutral colors and traditional style. So go for what makes you happiest. And keep yourself open to trying different sizes, too. (Just a thought).

My mom bought a large lady Dior (as more of a travel bag) & she loves it & one of my friends has 2 mini peek a boos & uses those for lunch dates & outings.

You probably will get more than one designer bag in your life. And no one bag can serve all functions completely. So go for the bag that you are drawn to the most.

Have fun!!

Thanks a lot!
I'd go for the more delicate leather in both bags (well the lady dior only has one leather option afaik), and I'm not one to be incredibly mindful of my bags
In any case I have this idea in my head that I should buy my first designer bag from the boutique, preferably in the country of origin
And I'm a little hesitant/ sceptical/ scared to buy preloved, so that will not be an option this time.

If you were buying at the Chanel boutique, I’d tell you that the experience is way overrated, but given that CS at Dior is so great, I do think it would be ideal for the first one to come from the boutique if you’re set on buying brand new.

I don’t mean to push the preloved route again since it seems like you’re not inclined to go that way, but one route i would encourage 1st time buyers to consider would be to buy preloved, see if you like it, sell it (break even or make $ if you found a good deal) and buy it brand new from the boutique if you do decide you love it. If you don’t love it, sell it and you won’t have lost much or any money. I’ve done that with several bags, most recently a Chanel Jumbo a couple years ago - bought preloved, loved it, sold it and bought brand new. It’s a lot of $ to spend on a handbag, and I can’t be 100% certain I’ll love it until I’ve tried it - I think most people would say the same.

In any case (new or preloved) if you’re going for the delicate leather in the peekaboo anyway, go for the lady. It sounds like that’s the style you love most!

Since the Dior you want isn't currently available in the color you want, I'd suggest the Fendi Peek-A-Boo, especially since the size is better for you.

I'm going to suggest considering another option. If this is totally off base, my apologies. You're concerned that the Lady Dior Medium won't hold as much as you want it to, and it's not currently showing as available in the gray color you want. What about a large Lady Dior in gray? Or is that too big? If the price difference in Medium and Large is an issue, waiting until it comes back out in gray would give you time to save up the difference - if that's the issue. Of course, the biggest thing against this is that it means not getting the purse on your birthday...

Whatever you choose... Happy Birthday! :yahoo: :happydance:

Both are gorgeous bags!! You really can’t go wrong.

In terms of everyday use, do you need a laptop to fit? Is weight an important factor? (I don’t have the Fendi but my dolce and gabbana tote is too heavy. I don’t use it as much as I thought I would).

Try out both and get the one that makes you happy. You are looking at neutral colors and traditional style. So go for what makes you happiest. And keep yourself open to trying different sizes, too. (Just a thought).

My mom bought a large lady Dior (as more of a travel bag) & she loves it & one of my friends has 2 mini peek a boos & uses those for lunch dates & outings.

You probably will get more than one designer bag in your life. And no one bag can serve all functions completely. So go for the bag that you are drawn to the most.

Have fun!!
Thanks for the reply! I do not need a laptop to fit, I have a separate bag for that and I carry my laptop to work very rarely. But I do walk to work and I live in a rainy place, so I carry my umbrella, my wallet, keys, water bottle, lipstick (s), hand sanitizer, tissues, small mirror, small hairbrush, handcream, chewing gum and I need some space for some emergency. So that's quite a lot. I personally do not love the look of the lady dior in large, but I never tried it. I might.

If you were buying at the Chanel boutique, I’d tell you that the experience is way overrated, but given that CS at Dior is so great, I do think it would be ideal for the first one to come from the boutique if you’re set on buying brand new.

I don’t mean to push the preloved route again since it seems like you’re not inclined to go that way, but one route i would encourage 1st time buyers to consider would be to buy preloved, see if you like it, sell it (break even or make $ if you found a good deal) and buy it brand new from the boutique if you do decide you love it. If you don’t love it, sell it and you won’t have lost much or any money. I’ve done that with several bags, most recently a Chanel Jumbo a couple years ago - bought preloved, loved it, sold it and bought brand new. It’s a lot of $ to spend on a handbag, and I can’t be 100% certain I’ll love it until I’ve tried it - I think most people would say the same.

In any case (new or preloved) if you’re going for the delicate leather in the peekaboo anyway, go for the lady. It sounds like that’s the style you love most!
I don't love Chanel as a brand in general. I do like some specific items, but it's a bit too pricey for my liking. For Dior I actually love the brand, for fendi it would be the item.
That's an interesting way to purchase, but knowing myself (I can't stand long processes and too many steps) I'd just keep the preloved version rather than going through the hassle of re- selling etc. if I were to go that route.

Since the Dior you want isn't currently available in the color you want, I'd suggest the Fendi Peek-A-Boo, especially since the size is better for you.

I'm going to suggest considering another option. If this is totally off base, my apologies. You're concerned that the Lady Dior Medium won't hold as much as you want it to, and it's not currently showing as available in the gray color you want. What about a large Lady Dior in gray? Or is that too big? If the price difference in Medium and Large is an issue, waiting until it comes back out in gray would give you time to save up the difference - if that's the issue. Of course, the biggest thing against this is that it means not getting the purse on your birthday...

Whatever you choose... Happy Birthday! :yahoo: :happydance:
My birthday isn't until March 2021, I'm starting to plan early so I'm still hoping for some color changes...who knows. If not gray, I'd also go for a different neutral/ lighter color. Like blush, beige, nude etc.
Even though I really prefer the gray. I wouldn't mind the price of a large lady dior...but I simply don't love the look of it. Thank you for your reply!

Reactions: JenJBS
My birthday isn't until March 2021, I'm starting to plan early so I'm still hoping for some color changes...who knows. If not gray, I'd also go for a different neutral/ lighter color. Like blush, beige, nude etc.
Even though I really prefer the gray. I wouldn't mind the price of a large lady dior...but I simply don't love the look of it. Thank you for your reply!

Smart to plan ahead! Yeah, the size can very much change the look of a bag. I absolutely love my small The Row double circle bag but would not want that bag in the large or extra large sizes.

I think the blush or nude with rose or champagne gold hardware would be gorgeous! Good luck deciding.

Reactions: Chanotchka
I have 3 medium Lady Diors and you’d be surprise how much it fits. I’m also a large bag lady and I feel like the medium is the perfect size for the Lady Dior. I’m not sure if it would fit both an umbrella and a water bottle but if they were both small I think it might fit everything you need. I’m one for buying new for your first especially Dior as it makes it that much more special. I also don’t buy bags to resell. I buy them to keep. So out of the 2 I’d pick the Lady Dior as it seems like that‘s the one you really want. Can you get to a boutique to see if it fits what you want?

Again, same here. I have 2 medium lady diors & I can fit all the items that you listed. But my version of those items is very compact. If I carry carry water and an umbrella, both are super-tiny. (And I’ll use a card case and mini cosmetic pouch).

Otherwise, I can easily fit just a small water with my normal wallet/cosmetics (if I skip the umbrella). But even my normal wallet is a bi-fold wallet. (Nothing too giant).

I’m an over-packer. I need everything. But I don’t like playing Tetris so I don’t stack much in my lady. Therefore, I’ve learned to carry everything in smaller versions and less quantity. (Two tissues, not 10. Some gum, not a gigantic pack, etc). That way I have plenty of space.

Try the medium. You may be pleasantly surprised. And ask your SA about a grey. Sometimes there’s old stock or a new shade in the pipeline. (I found a small silver diorama with gold hardware last year through my SA).

Have fun!!

Reactions: Chanotchka