"Gateway" bags?

Loganz

older, not wiser
O.G.
Dec 16, 2005
I am sure we have all heard the term "gateway drugs" - for those who haven't the term is used most often in reference to marijuana, with the idea being that if a young person trys marijuana it opens the door to more dangerous serious drugs...hence, "gateway"...

SO - I was thinking about this concept applied to purses. I have noticed a lot of members "graduating" from one brand to the next and I was curious if there is a path that a purse-lover follows with respect to brands bought.

I started with Chloe - then balenciaga - then Dior - NOW Chanel - what is next for me? HERMES?????

I laugh, but it is almost as if Hermes is the top-dog of purse buying, and those of us who say we will not buy one when we start admiring fine bags - often change our tune after we have experienced other brands. :P

So, what do you guys/gals think? Is there any truth to the notion of "gateway" purses?? ;)

I think you are right on target. I started out years ago with no-name bags, went on to Coach, Cole-Haan, etc. for several years. Now, I'm working my way into Kooba, Gryson, Botkier, Rebecca Minkoff, HH, IF, etc. The other day I caught myself saying, hmmm, maybe I do have a use for an LV and those Chanel classic flap bags are quite nice. . . :rolleyes:

Yes I've experienced the same thing! Although I'm at the beginning end of it. I'm only 20 years old so I have plenty more years of addiction ahead of me LOL. I'm just now leaving my Coach phase, I've purchased some LAMB bags, and now I'm eyeing LV!

My gateway was Coach- I had a few, but then my husband bought me an approx. $400 one, so I wondered what other options were in that price range...found this forum and bought a Botkier on sale, then moved on to Balenciaga, Chloe, Fendi, MJ, etc. There is no turning back for me now :smile:

Fun thread! I was going to say Coach, but then I purchased by first designer bag by LV before I'd even bought my first Coach (before the first LV it was Nine West, Guess and others), then a year later it was Coach and then I moved onto more LV, Balenciaga and Chanel which is where I've stayed. So I'm kinda all over the place. However, now (even though I love some of the Coach designs) I'm not sure I'd purchase another because of my obession with LV, BBags and Chanel.

I fell in love with the Fendi spy bag almost year ago and found this forum while looking for information on it. I joined and started to find out a lot about other designers, etc. I started out with a few Francesco Biasia bags and 1 Donald J. Pliner bag all of which I bought really on sale....that turned into Coach and Hayden Harnett....which has just started to turn into Kooba. I want more Koobas and I've been eyeing Balenciaga bags for a while now....they're beautiful. I still lust after the Fendi spy bag....I just have to come up with the money! :yes:

Before, I only had Nine West and Liz Claiborne bags. Then I "splurged" and bought myself a $200 DKNY calfskin tote. A year later, I really "splurged" and bought myself a Donna Karan bag for about $600 on sale (it retailed at about $850). Then I started buying LV accessories. I plan to "splurge" again very soon by getting my first LV bag (a BH).

I think my "gateway" bags were Coach. From there I felt brave enough to go for an LV and now I just bought my first Chanel....scary! It all happened pretty quickly too.

This is a great thread!

Dooney was my gateway. It led me down the path and through Coach, Kate Spade, Lulu Guinness, Isabella Fiore, Prada, Fendi, LV, and Tod's. I think I've come full circle because my favorite thing right now is my new Coach Ali filled with LV accessories.

Aaah, the heart wants what the heart wants