Question about "spotty" caviar

Chial819

Aug 19, 2019
Happy Friday everyone!

I've been browsing for a bag in beige caviar and noticed that, particularly in vintage bags, the caviar sometimes appears speckled or mottled, where the top of the pebble/grain (the most rounded part, if that makes sense) is darker in color.

I did a search and found lots of threads on how caviar varies by season/batch, but I couldn't find anything about caviar looking "spotty." Initially, I thought it might be color transfer or dirt, but the darkening (if it even is darkening) appears too uniform for that to be the case. Is this "normal" and the caviar is intended to look this way? If not, can this be cleaned so the color is more uniform? Also, would love to hear your own opinions on caviar that looks like this!

I've attached photos (borrowed from Rebag) below as examples. The first two photos show the "typical" caviar and the others show varying degrees of the "spotty" caviar. Any insight would be appreciated :smile:

cavaiarzoom.jpg

caviar1.jpg

caviar3.jpg

caviar 4.jpg

caviar5.png

caviar6.jpg

Reactions: rvc
This is so interesting, I haven't seen this before.

My only reasoning for why that happens is that the caviar 'blobs' wear and discolour because they're raised above the leather surface, leaving the leather beneath untouched. It doesn't seem like it could be discolouration like you said because it is so even - maybe a leather issue that has (metaphorically) taken many years to come to light?

It's particularly fascinating because of the colour of the bag, I would doubt that this would be obvious on a darker colour, like a black bag, because it would blend in. I could be dirt or wear possibly.

very odd - thanks for sharing, I hope we get a proper answer!

Reactions: Chial819
Happy Friday everyone!

I've been browsing for a bag in beige caviar and noticed that, particularly in vintage bags, the caviar sometimes appears speckled or mottled, where the top of the pebble/grain (the most rounded part, if that makes sense) is darker in color.
I did a search and found lots of threads on how caviar varies by season/batch, but I couldn't find anything about caviar looking "spotty." Initially, I thought it might be color transfer or dirt, but the darkening (if it even is darkening) appears too uniform for that to be the case. Is this "normal" and the caviar is intended to look this way? If not, can this be cleaned so the color is more uniform? Also, would love to hear your own opinions on caviar that looks like this!
I've attached photos (borrowed from Rebag) below as examples. The first two photos show the "typical" caviar and the others show varying degrees of the "spotty" caviar. Any insight would be appreciated :smile:

It's regular wear and tear on leather. I wouldn't call it a defect per say. My older beige caviar bag has this. Might be dirt or wear over time. I don't find it bothersome...I think it adds character.

Thanks for everyone’s responses! I just found this phenomenon so interesting bc unlike typical wear and tear or discoloration, it appears that the effect is also seen on parts of the bag that aren’t exposed, like on the double flap (as seen below), which leads me to wonder if it could even have something to do with how the leather was processed, or if it’s just a type of caviar more prone to this wear and tear overall.

Also, I hope it didn’t come off that I was insinuating this was a defect or anything, so I apologize if I offended anyone. I agree that this gives a unique look and adds character!

591101F0-3409-4C04-95E1-44BFF09E76DF.png

Reactions: boyslikebagstoo