Deposit refund policy in SK

Sep 7, 2019
Is there any medical law in SK about deposit? I put my deposit at a clinic for a surgery months away (2 months to be exact), they never mentioned anything about it being non-refundable. 2 days after making the deposit, I asked if I can get it back but they say cancellation fee is 50% and only 50% is refundable. This was not mentioned upfront. A lot of other clinics I know refund until 2 weeks or so before surgery.

I asked on another forum and was told "The law specifically states that a clinic can create its own deposit refund policy, it can be time based or a percentage based refund that corresponds to certain periods of advanced notice (2 weeks, 1 week, 3 days, 72 hours, 24 hours, same day, etc...), or be non-refundable whatsoever. But they must have provided you with some reasonable informed consent (email, signed document, detailed text) about the cancellation policy and its penalties. If they did not do this, then you are entitled to the full refund."

Is it true and is there anything can be done about this? Thanks all for your input!

I am unsure about the laws in Korea but it definitely sounds fishy that they didn't provide you with this information originally. I placed my own deposit for some days ago and on the document I got with all the bank info clearly stated that I could get my refund until 72 h before my operation.
I suggest you try to get in touch with this website and ask them about this. They work with all the PS related tourism and provide info to foreigners. I asked them if the VAT refund period had been extended until next year and they replied within one or two days.

I am unsure about the laws in Korea but it definitely sounds fishy that they didn't provide you with this information originally. I placed my own deposit for some days ago and on the document I got with all the bank info clearly stated that I could get my refund until 72 h before my operation.
I suggest you try to get in touch with this website and ask them about this. They work with all the PS related tourism and provide info to foreigners. I asked them if the VAT refund period had been extended until next year and they replied within one or two days.
Thank you for the info! I’ll be in contact with them. The only info they sent me along with their account was that the sender should bear all transfer fees. It’s my bad I assumed it’s refundable; I’ll try to reach out and see what options I have. Since the only mean of contact is Kakao and email, I’m afraid they can just ignore me. Sigh.

Thank you for the info! I’ll be in contact with them. The only info they sent me along with their account was that the sender should bear all transfer fees. It’s my bad I assumed it’s refundable; I’ll try to reach out and see what options I have. Since the only mean of contact is Kakao and email, I’m afraid they can just ignore me. Sigh.
That is horrible! But i think that you can get some helpful input from the people at Visit medical korea :smile:
I hope everything turns our okay in the end for you!

That is horrible! But i think that you can get some helpful input from the people at Visit medical korea :smile:
I hope everything turns our okay in the end for you!
Thank you so much! I got my 50% back first because I wanted to make sure. The refund process was not at all easy or pleasant. I'm a bit shocked at how they deal with refunds, given their great reputation.