Motivation-less, ambition-less. What to do?

Cristina

O.G.
Oct 23, 2005
I'm having serious motivation and ambition issues, and it's driving me insane.

I'm 25 years old and graduated from college two years ago with a degree in journalism. During my last year of school is when I decided that I didn't want to be a reporter, and instead got into public/media relations after an internship at a hospital. I've had three jobs in the last two years, and I'm currently job hunting once again. Right now I do public relations and outreach for a state agency. It has its ups and downs, but overall my job has been good to me for over a year now.

However, I don't think the problems come from the jobs - I think the problem is me. I have no idea what I want to do as a career. I have no motivation whatsoever to "climb the corporate ladder" and make a name for myself in the working world.

The other day my dad told me, "You need to think about a career. You need to go back to school and get your master's." My feelings were hurt, mostly because I thought that he doesn't see my career choice as a "career". But then I started to question things - what type of career do I want? Do I even want a career? :rolleyes:

I have the personal life thing down - a great boyfriend, a wonderful family (most of the time, sometimes they're dysfunctional), friends, tons of things to do outside of work, etc.

But still - I just feel very lost and it's really starting to get to me. I've been out of school for two years, and it feels like I just walked off the stage with my diploma yesterday, still absolutely clueless about what I want from life.

Anyone ever felt this way before? What did you do to get through it? This is starting to get very frustrating and it's bringing me down :sad:

Okay, this really helps me whenever I get into my "the present is all that matters - screw the future" mind set. Ask yourself, where do you want to be in 10 years?
That might help you dig up some motivation and ambition.

I've thought about this. Anyone had experience with a career counselor/coach?

I am a coach (and am in coach training), but I don't specialize in career coaching. You might want to go to the International Coach Federation website and do a search for career coaches there, or ask the career center at your university for more information. Expect to interview at least 2-3 coaches to make sure you and the coach have the right chemistry. The ICF is the certifying organization for coaches and you'll want to look for anyone who has an ACC (Associate Certified Coach), PCC (Professional Certified Coach) or MCC (Master Certified Coach) designation because their training has been through an accredited coaching school. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

I am a coach (and am in coach training), but I don't specialize in career coaching. You might want to go to the International Coach Federation website and do a search for career coaches there, or ask the career center at your university for more information. Expect to interview at least 2-3 coaches to make sure you and the coach have the right chemistry. The ICF is the certifying organization for coaches and you'll want to look for anyone who has an ACC (Associate Certified Coach), PCC (Professional Certified Coach) or MCC (Master Certified Coach) designation because their training has been through an accredited coaching school. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Thank you, I really appreciate the help :smile:

Liz - When I think of my future 10 years from now, I draw a blank. I know it involves being married, owning a home, traveling, and being involved in my community. But as far as work and career expectations go, I draw a total blank.

You know Cristina, this isn't unusal at all. Think about it - kids graduate high school and go into college at such a young age and people expect them to know what they want to do w/ the rest of their lives. It's absurd really. That's why there are so many unhappy people in the work force. People change careers many times over their life. It's totally normal and actually makes a ton of sense.

You love working out, hon. What about something in physical therapy or fitness?

You know Cristina, this isn't unusal at all. Think about it - kids graduate high school and go into college at such a young age and people expect them to know what they want to do w/ the rest of their lives. It's absurd really. That's why there are so many unhappy people in the work force. People change careers many times over their life. It's totally normal and actually makes a ton of sense.

You love working out, hon. What about something in physical therapy or fitness?

I totally agree. I came into what I wanted to do at age 26 (I'm 28 now) and I consider myself lucky- I still have more work to do as far as the coaching and advancing within training and development, but I had a lot of worry throughout college and for a few years afterward because I kept trying on so many careers. It's a wonder I graduated on time!

I wouldn't worry about "finding it" by a certain age, just make sure that you're as happy as you can be. Life's too short to put pressure on yourself.

I'm reading your post, and I wonder if you're just frustrated with your current position, but not necessarily your career. You say you like your job, so I'm wondering why you're hunting. Is it because you wonder what else is out there? Is there anything that you could do with your current job that would make it more satisfying for you? It may be that you need more challenge within your current position as opposed to jumping into another position.

BTW, I disagree that a master's degree would be a good idea right now. I think you should be comfortable with what you're doing before you move into an advanced degree.

Cristina....
I am in the exact situation as you now.....
I dont know what I want to do with my life...
If you want to talk and chat about this... pm me because honestly, I need someone to talk about it too....

BTW, I disagree that a master's degree would be a good idea right now. I think you should be comfortable with what you're doing before you move into an advanced degree.

I couldn't agree more!! If you're going to invest even more time and $$ in getting a masters ya better darn tootin' have a pretty good idea how you're going to use it. If you don't know (and that's OK!) then focus more on your career goals with a coach's help as suggested above and postpone grad school.

Thank you, I really appreciate the help :smile:

Liz - When I think of my future 10 years from now, I draw a blank. I know it involves being married, owning a home, traveling, and being involved in my community. But as far as work and career expectations go, I draw a total blank.

Really? Well uhmmm... since you brought up being married, do you want to be a stay-at-home wife/mom? Or do you still want to have an active career?

NEVER start grad school just to have something to do. make sure you really really want it for a good reason first.

i totally don't believe in having to "know" what to do for the rest of your life - i mean, we're hoping the rest of your life is a pretty long time, right?

if you're interested in getting involved with your community, maybe look into some nonprofit organizations that could use your skills and that you feel really passionate about.

Cristina

You are not alone. I am 29 and feel very much the same way. I have been at the same company since I graduated but have changed departments 3 times/areas twice. A big problem for me is that I am do not want to give up the salary and benefits that I have to find out later that I left a good thing... kind of like golden handcuffs. I wish I had the passion of my colleagues.

I recently moved from NJ to CA and was actually able to keep my job and work remotely. I really should have used the opportunity to make a clean break but I didn't.

Sorry if I am intruding on your post but I just wanted to let you know I've been there to for almost 7 years now! Feel free to PM me to chat.

It's weird to see so many people feeling the same way.

Cristina, I feel the same as you too. I graduated a year ago and I feel so empty. I sometimes cry myself to sleep b/c of it and on top of that I have school debt. I know part of it comes from not being challenged which came with being in school. I have thought about going back to graduate school too but I don't know what I would want a master's in. I currently have a BS in biology.

I also know that I want to get married to my bf of 5 1/2 years, start a family, buy a house, move to CA but as to where I want my career to go I am just at a standstill. I hate thinking about it and I live day by day hanging out with friends and such.

So if you want to talk too just PM me:yes: