Discontinued vs. Limited Editions

Nov 29, 2016
Hi LVers!

I wasn't sure if I wanted to call this thread Discontinued vs. LEs, or Is There a List of LEs?

I'm kind of curious about both. Over the life of the company of LV, some bags were sold for a while and were discontinued and others were LEs. I've seen bags I've known to be "discontinued" listed by resellers as LEs.

Many times, I wouldn't know the difference (other times, it is obvious). What got me thinking about it are the bags made in Nomade leather. It seems, in Japan, there were 15th anniversary and 20th anniversary Speedy Nomade LEs. There are also Alma and Lockits in Nomade, but I don't think they are LEs, or are they? The LE Speedy's actually say, "Limited Edition." Do LEs always state they are LEs somewhere? Are all Nomades LE?

How is a gal (or guy) to know?

Of course, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. Buy the bag you love whether LE or not, whether discontinued or not, but I am curious.

Who can help me wrap my brain around this?

Thanks for the responses.

But irrespective of all else, doesn't LE have a specific meaning whn used by LV?

Limited edition has a definite meaning that is right there in the words. Limited = only a controlled number will ever be issued. Edition = the thing that goes into production and is sold in one singular form, without elaborations or reinterpretations over time. This sort of release is available only briefly (relatively) vs. hanging around, and often offered selectively. It can be the most expensive stuff, but it doesn't have to be.

To me "runway" doesn't exactly mean the same, because as we know there are runway bags that don't go into production at all.

Limited edition has a definite meaning that is right there in the words. Limited = only a controlled number will ever be issued. Edition = the thing that goes into production and is sold in one singular form, without elaborations or reinterpretations over time. This sort of release is available only briefly (relatively) vs. hanging around, and often offered selectively. It can be the most expensive stuff, but it doesn't have to be.

To me "runway" doesn't exactly mean the same, because as we know there are runway bags that don't go into production at all.

Exactly. And many items sold for years in great quantity have been “discontinued” ie: bucket, cabas, etc.

Reactions: katgoldatx
Exactly. And many items sold for years in great quantity have been “discontinued” ie: bucket, cabas, etc.
Limited edition has a definite meaning that is right there in the words. Limited = only a controlled number will ever be issued. Edition = the thing that goes into production and is sold in one singular form, without elaborations or reinterpretations over time.

Right! Now we're talking. There are LEs *and* there are discontinued bags (yes, there are Runways, but let's keep that out of the conversation for now). Circling back to my original question, is there a way to look at a bag that is no longer in production and understand whether it is an LE or is simply discontinued?

Has anyone compiled a list of LEs? Trying to create a list of Discontinued over the years would be too difficult (there are just too darned many).

Or is there some trick I don't know about that would indicate if a piece is an LE? (For example, as mentioned in the original question, the 15th & 20th Anniversary Nomade Speedy's have "Limited Edition" stamped in the bag. Does LV always do that?

Limited edition has a definite meaning that is right there in the words. Limited = only a controlled number will ever be issued. Edition = the thing that goes into production and is sold in one singular form, without elaborations or reinterpretations over time. .

Yes, I know. It was a rhetorical question. :biggrin::cool:

Thanks so much for getting us back on track. I was trying to steer us that way.

Reactions: jellyv
Do you think they discontinue items because they are not selling well or just want to keep up the demand, making people feel that they should buy them because you never know when they will be discontinued? I have been looking at the Double V bag and it's not on their US website, but they are available in stores. I was told it was being discontinued. Strange they would remove it from their website (and it is on many of the European sites still).