Small Lexington vs. Small Tammy?

Shanna19

Apr 5, 2019
I am new to Dooney and just received my first bag, a Small Lexington Shopper in pebble leather. I love the look of this bag, and the outside pocket is a must have for me, but it doesn’t feel like I can fit as much in it as I expected. Also, the top is stiff and doesn’t seem to open wide enough. I was debating returning and getting the Tammy instead. Can anyone compare the bags in side for me? Also with weight?

I am new to Dooney and just received my first bag, a Small Lexington Shopper in pebble leather. I love the look of this bag, and the outside pocket is a must have for me, but it doesn’t feel like I can fit as much in it as I expected. Also, the top is stiff and doesn’t seem to open wide enough. I was debating returning and getting the Tammy instead. Can anyone compare the bags in side for me? Also with weight?
I don't have the Tammy tote, but I just checked the dimensions. I think the Tammy tote will carry ore than the small Lexington. The base of the small Lexington is narrow, and that really limits what can be carried. I have the small Lexington, and in general, I find it small. Also the flap on the zipper is annoying and limits the use of the interior space. The opening on the Tammy is a mag snap, but there is an interior large zipper pocket too. Unless you need a full zipper across the entire bag, the Tammy will give you easier access and probably more space. As for whether the small Tammy or regular Tammy is right for you.... check the measurements. I did notice the regular Tammy is heavy. I think the Lexington (small) is around 2 lbs.

I don't have the Tammy tote, but I just checked the dimensions. I think the Tammy tote will carry ore than the small Lexington. The base of the small Lexington is narrow, and that really limits what can be carried. I have the small Lexington, and in general, I find it small. Also the flap on the zipper is annoying and limits the use of the interior space. The opening on the Tammy is a mag snap, but there is an interior large zipper pocket too. Unless you need a full zipper across the entire bag, the Tammy will give you easier access and probably more space. As for whether the small Tammy or regular Tammy is right for you.... check the measurements. I did notice the regular Tammy is heavy. I think the Lexington (small) is around 2 lbs.
Yes, I agree the flap of zipper on Lexington is annoying and although I love the look of the Lexington, it doesn't feel like it will be useful as an everyday bag- which had been my plan. Thanks for taking the time to compare measurements for me. I am still debating which purse is right for me. I had even considered the small Brenna satchel, since it has the front and back slip pockets. Any suggestions from a Dooney expert would be appreciated!

Yes, I agree the flap of zipper on Lexington is annoying and although I love the look of the Lexington, it doesn't feel like it will be useful as an everyday bag- which had been my plan. Thanks for taking the time to compare measurements for me. I am still debating which purse is right for me. I had even considered the small Brenna satchel, since it has the front and back slip pockets. Any suggestions from a Dooney expert would be appreciated!
I have the Barlow, which is the 'same' design as the Brenna. The Brenna was a QVC exclusive model. The measurements differ slightly between the Brenna and the Barlow.
I have the Barlow in the small, regular, and large sizes. I was obsessed with the "City" leather and had to have more than one of the collection.
As to size.... the pockets on the outside are useful.... but in my opinion they do not add a lot of space to the bag. The more you put in the outside pockets the less you can put in the main center of the bag if you want to be able to close it's magnetic snap.

I find the small Barlow to be too small. The regular size is ok and the large Barlow is much roomier. The dimensions differ only slightly, but the extra depth across the bottom and an extra inch in height and length make a difference. You can compare the measurements of the Brenna to the small and regular size Barlow. I think it's midway in between.

Also, I'm nervous about putting anything valuable in the outside pockets of the Barlow unless it's big enough not to fall out if the bag falls over in the car. So a cell phone is fine, because it's big enough to be held in place by the mag snap, and misc items like mints, tissues, and things of little value and are small seem to stay in the outside pockets. . But personally, I would not keep keys or a wallet in the outside pocket.... to valuable and the keys could fall out between the ruffles of the design if the bag falls over.

I hand carry my bags, so I use the Barlow as a satchel. With it's wide base, I don't know how comfortable that shape bag is as a shoulder or cross body bag.

Another thought on outside pockets....mag snap, zip, or just open slit... they are useful for organizational purposes. But usually, the more you put in the outside pocket the more real estate it claims (and useful space it takes away from the main inside part of the bag). At least that has been my experience.