Small Classic Flap (Matte Caviar)

amywong1

Aug 29, 2015
Hi girls,

I recently saw the small classic flap in a matte finish in store, and I love it! It is black with LGH, but because it is so matte, it can look grey in some light.

However, I haven’t come across any matte finishes and would like to know about it’s durability, wear & tear etc.

I’ve read a few threads commenting on ‘matte’ finishes but it seems like there was just a difference in batches and it wasn’t meant to be matte? However, I was told by the sales assistant that this bag is really matte, and I am not sure if it is a good finish to have.

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 819BADA5-0481-4AFB-A4C4-A68E792D9B0B.jpeg
    819BADA5-0481-4AFB-A4C4-A68E792D9B0B.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 927
this is just my opinion and others may vary. i attached two diff. bags, both happen to pink (from yoogis) but it doesn't matter the color. matte finishes are kind of like washed chanel leather, they will lose color, be subject to color transfer, and not wear well over time. the gray colors will end up pale the blacks will end up gray. caviar matte does a bit better than lambskin. it's like a matte lipstick, it will end up feeling chalky and dry, with no shine. perhaps someone who owns one and loves it will chime in. go to ebay and yoogis and fashionphile and look at chanel matte bags to see how they look, that will give you a better idea of what you'll be in for and whether you find it appealing. some people obviously do.

190933_01.jpg 219434_01.jpg

this is just my opinion and others may vary. i attached two diff. bags, both happen to pink (from yoogis) but it doesn't matter the color. matte finishes are kind of like washed chanel leather, they will lose color, be subject to color transfer, and not wear well over time. the gray colors will end up pale the blacks will end up gray. caviar matte does a bit better than lambskin. it's like a matte lipstick, it will end up feeling chalky and dry, with no shine. perhaps someone who owns one and loves it will chime in. go to ebay and yoogis and fashionphile and look at chanel matte bags to see how they look, that will give you a better idea of what you'll be in for and whether you find it appealing. some people obviously do.

View attachment 4382094 View attachment 4382095

Oh no, that does not sound very good.

I was afraid that it might lose its colour too, but I’ve read some threads that said it is a very durable material. I’m really conflicted because it is such a beauty.

Thanks for replying!

I would love to hear more thoughts on this!

I don’t have a cf with matte leather. But I have seasonal bag with matte finish. It is not as durable as the shiny carviar. After only 10 months. The color is kinda faded and rubbed off around the corner. On the other hand, the shiny carviar woc and cf look brand new.

I don’t have a cf with matte leather. But I have seasonal bag with matte finish. It is not as durable as the shiny carviar. After only 10 months. The color is kinda faded and rubbed off around the corner. On the other hand, the shiny carviar woc and cf look brand new.
Oh man.. yes I have a classic flap in the normal caviar and it still looks so amazing 10 years on.

The matte caviar is so beautiful though.. but I think I want my Chanel bags to last a long time and 10 months just does not justify the cost.

Attachments

• 84617CBF-6FB2-4A49-A8B6-3C0615D2FE66.jpeg
    84617CBF-6FB2-4A49-A8B6-3C0615D2FE66.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 496
  • 67951357-B25C-424E-9A5A-7232121497D5.jpeg
    67951357-B25C-424E-9A5A-7232121497D5.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 500
Oh man.. yes I have a classic flap in the normal caviar and it still looks so amazing 10 years on.

The matte caviar is so beautiful though.. but I think I want my Chanel bags to last a long time and 10 months just does not justify the cost.

I know. I love the matte look as well. It looks so elegant. But. Ya. It only lasted ten months. And I l sent my bag to be fixed. After they redyed the bag, the faded part is still quite visible. That bag looks like 20 yr old vintage piece.

Did u get it in the end? Or .. returned it or??
I mean if you are keeping it, maybe can consider getting some waterproofing done by the professional bag spas before u use it?