Selleria Flap Crossbody

Jun 8, 2006
I broke down and ordered the Selleria flap crossbody in tan. Was really drawn to the minimalist styling of the bag. Very classic and reminded me of several classic bags that I used to own. When Q marked it down, i was so excited. The presence of only two reviews didn't deter me. Not everyone writes a review good or bad.
Picked it up on Friday and brought it home. Someone had returned it, I could tell Hmm.... From an aesthetic standpoint, it's a stunning bag. Wasn't overloaded with contrast stitching--I'm of the opinion that less is more. It's not a saddle, it's a bag. I even like the Dooney & Bourke tag and passionately wish they had done the same for the rest of the Selleria collection. It's probably why I like the Florentine collection.
One reviewer called it a "cinderblock." Yes, it's structured and makes it look larger than it is. I think the key, though, isn't the structure. It lies in the design and construction of the strap. I compared it against the mini crossbody strip and it's essentially the same strap. I think it needed to be the same thickness and width of the Coach City bag and I couldn't see that until I carried the bag. I did show the bag to my roommate and her daughter and we all agreed that the short shoulder option was the best for this bag--except that the strap is too thin. The Small Brenna (not the Small Barlow--that strap is wider and of a different type of leather.) suffers from the same problem, but it's not as structured and you can at least use as a satchel.
I like the bag so much that I was willing to see if another strap would be appropriate. Of course, wouldn't you know that I didn't see the review left on dooney.com until after I had opened the package? What makes the switching out of straps a little tricky is the small hole and the smaller lobster claw clasp. You know, the part where the strap attaches to the bag is structured leather and might make it a bit harder to use another strap. Kind of frustrating. I really think it's a lovely bag, but since it's a cross body, having a good strap is a big deal.

I broke down and ordered the Selleria flap crossbody in tan. Was really drawn to the minimalist styling of the bag. Very classic and reminded me of several classic bags that I used to own. When Q marked it down, i was so excited. The presence of only two reviews didn't deter me. Not everyone writes a review good or bad.
Picked it up on Friday and brought it home. Someone had returned it, I could tell Hmm.... From an aesthetic standpoint, it's a stunning bag. Wasn't overloaded with contrast stitching--I'm of the opinion that less is more. It's not a saddle, it's a bag. I even like the Dooney & Bourke tag and passionately wish they had done the same for the rest of the Selleria collection. It's probably why I like the Florentine collection.
One reviewer called it a "cinderblock." Yes, it's structured and makes it look larger than it is. I think the key, though, isn't the structure. It lies in the design and construction of the strap. I compared it against the mini crossbody strip and it's essentially the same strap. I think it needed to be the same thickness and width of the Coach City bag and I couldn't see that until I carried the bag. I did show the bag to my roommate and her daughter and we all agreed that the short shoulder option was the best for this bag--except that the strap is too thin. The Small Brenna (not the Small Barlow--that strap is wider and of a different type of leather.) suffers from the same problem, but it's not as structured and you can at least use as a satchel.
I like the bag so much that I was willing to see if another strap would be appropriate. Of course, wouldn't you know that I didn't see the review left on dooney.com until after I had opened the package? What makes the switching out of straps a little tricky is the small hole and the smaller lobster claw clasp. You know, the part where the strap attaches to the bag is structured leather and might make it a bit harder to use another strap. Kind of frustrating. I really think it's a lovely bag, but since it's a cross body, having a good strap is a big deal.
SBQ: I love the look of the Sellaria line. But as you point out, cross body handbags are quite different than satchels, and structure and strap length and width can make all the difference. I hope you find a way to make it work for you. Keep us posted.