Dooney FLORENTINE Clubhouse!!

I am having a hard time making a decision on my next pre-loved Florentine buy, I'm between a Clayton or a Chelsea? They are so similar as far as ways to carry but just wanted to see if anyone could vouch for either?! I'm leaning more towards the Clayton just because from appearances it is so different but the Chelsea looks like a workhorse..!!
I have both and both are heavy. Both are beautiful. The styling on the Clayton is more distinctive with the detail and pockets on the front. But..... I don't know if over time if the pockets are used they will mar the look of the bag. I don't use mine enough to know.
My advice would be to make your decision based on the interior organization of the bag... does the single large space in the Clayton suit your needs or does the organization of the Chelsea with the center zip pocket and the snap closure work better for you? After that, I'd judge by what is available and at what price. Both bags are beautiful.
Dooney/com lists the weight of the Flo Clayton at 3lbs 8 oz!

I have both and both are heavy. Both are beautiful. The styling on the Clayton is more distinctive with the detail and pockets on the front. But..... I don't know if over time if the pockets are used they will mar the look of the bag. I don't use mine enough to know.
My advice would be to make your decision based on the interior organization of the bag... does the single large space in the Clayton suit your needs or does the organization of the Chelsea with the center zip pocket and the snap closure work better for you? After that, I'd judge by what is available and at what price. Both bags are beautiful.
Dooney/com lists the weight of the Flo Clayton at 3lbs 8 oz!

Thank you so so much, what great information! I had no idea the Clayton weighs almost 4 lbs empty...I now have a lot to think on! Thanks again! I will post when I pull the trigger!

Thank you so so much, what great information! I had no idea the Clayton weighs almost 4 lbs empty...I now have a lot to think on! Thanks again! I will post when I pull the trigger!
I'm a die hard Chelsea Fan and LOVE the organization of the center compartment. I have both the East West and the Shopper versions and love both. I have had a Kingston (Hobo version of the Clayton) and they are just NOT the same. 20181103_102540.jpg20190206_165633.jpg

Hi! New poster and I’m not sure if this question is where it should go.

I purchased a Dooney Florentine small satchel last week. It was on sale on dooney.com so I was elated and bought it. After perusing the site this week, I discovered my bag was different from the other Florentine satchels listed.

The model number I got is 8L98B NA. But there is an 8L980 NA that the same but different, if that makes sense. Dooney says one (mine) is the older model (therefor on sale) and the other is the newer model. My inside doesn’t have the red and green liner and my tassels are red on back. It feels like a fake even though I bought it from Dooney! Does anyone have a model like mine?

Hi! New poster and I’m not sure if this question is where it should go.

I purchased a Dooney Florentine small satchel last week. It was on sale on dooney.com so I was elated and bought it. After perusing the site this week, I discovered my bag was different from the other Florentine satchels listed.

The model number I got is 8L98B NA. But there is an 8L980 NA that the same but different, if that makes sense. Dooney says one (mine) is the older model (therefor on sale) and the other is the newer model. My inside doesn’t have the red and green liner and my tassels are red on back. It feels like a fake even though I bought it from Dooney! Does anyone have a model like mine?
Hi lady, welcome! Your bag is probably the Made in America Version (MIA).

Hi lady, welcome! Your bag is probably the Made in America Version (MIA).

I posted a long response in the other thread.
And yes, bottom line, it's the Made In USA version.
BTW, 8L980 is the original style number for the Made in China small Florentine satchel. It's been around for years.

As for sales, Dooney will put various colors on sale, at various times, and the reasons are sometimes seasonal and sometimes a mystery. What they call CORE colors.... black, natural, chestnut, and a few other classic colors like navy (midnight blue) are rarely on sale. Seasonal colors are more likely to go on sale when new colors come out. For example, falls colors, like dark greens or wines are more likely to go on sale in the spring and summer. Pink and light blue are more likely to go on sale in as falla approaches, as the company wants to move out non- seasonal inventory.

When we find a color we want, and it's on sale, Dooney collectors act quickly. I've never seen a post from a Dooney collector who returned a small Florentine satchel because it had the red leather detailing used on the MADE IN USA versions rather than the green suede used in the Made in China versions. :smile: The quality of the Florentine leather and the overall styling of the small Florentine satchel are what make people love it.... or not. Some ladies prefer the medium size Florentine satchel, which is much larger and much, much heavier, although it is a stunning handbag too.

Thank you so much for your replies!! I feel much better. I love this bag so much and did not want to return it. It was $276.00 on the Dooney site and if I got the other model it would be about $100 more. The customer service rep said the newer bags have a narrower opening and shorter zipper at the top. I definitely don’t want that!

Thank you so much for your replies!! I feel much better. I love this bag so much and did not want to return it. It was $276.00 on the Dooney site and if I got the other model it would be about $100 more. The customer service rep said the newer bags have a narrower opening and shorter zipper at the top. I definitely don’t want that!
That's interesting. I haven't noticed a difference in the openings between the 2 versions of the small Flo satchel, but I admit, I haven't compared the openings side by side. Since I rotate my handbags, there are quite a lot of time that passes in between when I use different small Flo satchels. The length of the opening on the small Flo satchel is an issue for some ladies. It's never been a problem for me. The fold over style of the opening adds to the style of the handbag, but I find it a pain when I'm out and about. Of course, that's not enough to stop me from buying the Flo small satchel in as many colors as I find that I like at the right price! It gets harder and harder to justify buying another one.... unless the price is really, really good!

Reactions: mushroomNgrass
This YouTube video gives a nice comparison between Made in America and Made in China satchels:

I have one of each and love them both! Enjoy your new Dooney...Florentine leather was a game-changer for me...

Reactions: mushroomNgrass
Received the navy Cameron today. It’s not as smooth as some of my other Florentines, but I’m still pleased with it. What I’m not thrilled with, is that I received another white dust bag.....for navy leather. Must be a return where someone kept the original blue one.

Attachments

• 488523C5-4D64-4D54-A4A0-B5A8EE4A437A.jpeg
    488523C5-4D64-4D54-A4A0-B5A8EE4A437A.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 212
  • A2377B6F-4291-465B-AA70-6CFC8B2E80DE.jpeg
    A2377B6F-4291-465B-AA70-6CFC8B2E80DE.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 210