Scarves Scarf Of The Day 2019 - Which Hermès scarf are you wearing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the Turandot and Ecume love @yodaling1 and @xincinsin
Posting my Shibori dyed Caducee Rock by artist Natsuno Hidaka along with ancient Chinese style dyed silk Calvacador Claire de Lune. Asian techniques for dyeing silks is ok for theme week right? Also some Ecume, Turandot and the lovely Japanese folktale Urashima Taro also by Natsuno H.
View attachment 4334347 View attachment 4334350 View attachment 4334351 View attachment 4334352 View attachment 4334342 View attachment 4334343 View attachment 4334345 View attachment 4334348
:loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes::loveeyes: :wtf: :faint:

(grumble, grumble) Still so jealous! :smile:

In that case, Last Night works too - I'm not sure where sound boards are made these days but I'm sure they're full of Asian components!
View attachment 4334416
Very true. Made me think if there was anything else electronic. The Game? Flamboyant Web? IIRC there was a special edition gav produced for this spider-themed H party in Hong Kong.
https://thepeakmagazine.com.sg/fashion-watches/hermes-men-upside-down/

And while I'm pushing the definition of the theme, I bought this cw Fleurs de Giverny because it reminds me of some Chinese pottery:

View attachment 4334442

(Archive pic because Wednesday's pic was even worse quality. No, really.)

Google tells me it's red iron glaze like so:
View attachment 4334424
or so:
View attachment 4334426
Ooh... very apt!

Reactions: FizzyWater
As a fellow Phoenix lover: your collection is out of this world!
And thank you for the Chinese sayings, where else could one learn things like this combined with droolworthy eyecandy!
Thank you! I should wear my phoenixes more, can hear them grumbling about neglect in the scsrf album :giggle:

When I went to Hong Kong last year Jonques et Sampans was the only scarf I took with me, I wore it all the time, built my travel wardrobe along it (not very hard as it features my most worn colors...), lived in it for a week. But there are not many pictures that are good enough to be posted so it might seem I wore the same stuff all week...
View attachment 4334770 View attachment 4334772 View attachment 4334776
That would be a very interesting challenge for me. I've never tried travelling with only one scarf. I think @Pautinka did this with a CSGM?

Continuing with the theme of the week, I realized I have not included one of my favorite designs i.e. Ex Libris en Kimonos. The design was taken directly from historical Kimono fabric patterns from the Matsuzakaya Kimono Museum in Japan. Hermes also issued a limited edition for the 400th anniversary of the Matsuzakaya.

My favorite part of the design is the crane.
View attachment 4334793 View attachment 4334794

Here is an article on The Legend of the Crane. I have included it here for easy reading.
Throughout all of Asia, the crane has been a symbol of happiness and eternal youth. In Japanese, Chinese, and Korean tradition, cranes stand for good fortune and longevity because of its fabled life span of a thousand years.

The Japanese refer to the crane as “the bird of happiness;” the Chinese as “heavenly crane” believing they were symbols of wisdom. The powerful wings of the crane were believed to be able to convey souls up to heaven and to carry people to higher levels of spiritual enlightenment.

Greek and Roman myth tended to portray the dance of cranes as a love of joy and a celebration of life. The crane was usually considered to be a bird of Apollo, the sun god, who heralded Spring.

Also another great article on Symbolism of the Crane can be read here.
I saw that Matsuzakaya edition on a reseller site. Was saved only by the very huge price tag and the out-of-comfort-zone cw.

It took a while. :biggrin:

Thank you!

I only have four. :cool:

Thank you. That was the first one I got and I thought YIPPEE!! Then.....I got more.....

Thank you! The red pants are just corduroy trousers from Gap. But sometimes it's just the right piece of clothing, you know?

Thank you. Tea would be awesome!!!

Awwwww. Thanks, Bobkat!
I don’t care what brand they are as long as they fit well and have great style and I’ve found those features in the most unexpected places... with that being said, I can’t believe I don’t own a pair of red pants!! You rock them

You're right dear, I need another white one.

Beautiful in light blue, fifi!

Thank you, Pautinka!
Thank you so much! The blue is my fav of the two

OT with PLUMES this morning

View attachment 4333191
Oh Lord! Spectacular! I love anything with feathers and in this scale it is magnificent!

Another Turandot for today's SOTDView attachment 4333198
I am dying... Gorgeous!

Haven't been posting for quite a while but managed to sneak in a photo this morning before darting out the door. View attachment 4333289
Perfectly beautiful!

Samourai a la shrug yesterday....
View attachment 4333347
I already admired your post on IG, but I repeat here that this look is spectacular! Few could carry this off and you are a master!

Just a couple from me this week. (you think I would have more considering how attached to the Orient I am!)

Joining in all the Parures de Samourais love.

View attachment 4333384

And after @xincinsin posted Mr XCS's pretty little patio lotus pond, I though Fleurs de Lotus might fit this week. :smile:
View attachment 4333383
Love both, but especially that PdS of which we are twins... IMO it’s one of the most dramatic and special of all PdS. Looks glorious on you!

Yesterday’s outfit of the day. Blue and grey. Samurais CSGMView attachment 4333502
What a beautiful blend of colors... So sophisticated and ultra chic

While these aren’t exactly on topic - they remind me so much of the Anime films I used to watch with my sons, that to my mind - they are.
Amazone
View attachment 4333562
Here are a few pictures that show my reasoning [emoji38]
View attachment 4333565View attachment 4333566
Aha! Yes! I see the connection! What a special one this is!

My Turandot: plum, periwinkle, pink & green
View attachment 4333645
View attachment 4333647
Get outta here! I’m so freaking jealous (in a good way)... You look amazing!

Dear Pirula - pics will appear - keeping in my bed for more than a week due to nasty flu, so not up to much atm, back when on my feet again:smile:
Oh noooo! Please feel better soon!

A quick post of my shimmery PdS :amuse:View attachment 4333828
I hunted so long for this CW and will never forget when a very NYC SA found it for me and I got the call... I smile every time I see it... It is splendorous! So happy to be your twin on this one

:lol: Not even this guy??? (I've only ever had to use him on me....) :roflmfao:
View attachment 4333841

Thank you Pirula! :hugs:

Beautiful litchi! (It was a real tossup for me to get this CW or the one I ended up with....)
LOLOLOL Cuteness overload! And that look on the face saying “please, please, I don’t want to play cops anymore!” LOL

I understand. I bought my Turandot in orange (don't know if that's the correct name, but it definitely looks ORANGE to me!) and it's not a color that suits me. I still wear it to the opera, of course, because it's the only one I have, and it's beautiful, but I have to amp up my makeup. One of these days I'll find it in red at a halfway-decent price (or an indecent one... who am I kidding???) and rehome my orange one. In the meantime I admire all the gorgeous red ones here on tPF! :wave:
Oh, @ElainePG! I adore the orange CW of Turandot! If you ever tire of it or find a CW you prefer to it, I would make a most grateful owner. So, please let me know if you ever wish to part with it

I have been mostly working from home this week and am pretty much just casually matching my Patagonia to my scarves (it’s also very cold here). Lots of eye candy here! View attachment 4333895
Magnificent! So perfect on you

Joining scarf of the week with Turandot in "salmon" colorway I think? I am not sure of the exact colors of this. If anyone knows, please let me know. I appreciate it.
View attachment 4333947

Cross posting again of Au Fil de La Soie 140 mousseline since it fits the theme for this week.
View attachment 4333950

Parures des Samourais 140 CSGM
View attachment 4333954

La Femme aux Semelles de Vent - The center scene depicts Alexandra David-Neel and her companion, Lama Yongden, heading towards Lhasa, the forbidden capital of Tibet.
View attachment 4333962

Mythiques Phoenix 140 CSGM and Cotton Pareo stole
A mythological birds found in East Asian mythology that reign over all other birds. View attachment 4333963
View attachment 4333987

Voyage en Etoffes 140 CSGMs
The story behind the design taken from hermes.com
Stretched over carved wooden supports, fine apparel from the four corners of the world is arranged in a sort of brightly-coloured puzzle. A people’s costume reflects its spirit, beliefs and rituals, its customs and traditions, its attitudes and postures. Cloaks, dresses and tunics are unique and universal – like the desire to show ourselves to best effect, in our finest clothes. From north to south, east to west, this finely-balanced design reveals what textiles and techniques around the world have in common. Here and there, amid the linen, silk, cotton and hemp, the batiks, ikats, indigos and embroideries, the multitude of imaginative motifs, we see echoes and similarities. The geometric decorations of South America are remarkably like those adorning the loincloths worn by certain pygmy hunter-gatherers. Timeless, beyond fashion, each piece tells the story of the people who made it.
View attachment 4333968

Collection Imperials 140 CSGM
A little background story from hermes.com
Produced in collaboration with the Museum of Decorative Arts, this square is inspired by Chinese cloisonnets from the Ming and Qing periods, the last two imperial dynasties, which had a great success among collectors in the early twentieth century. They belong for the most part to the museum archives. The so-called cloisonné technique consists of creating patterns with thin strips of metal placed on the field, forming networks that will be filled by the enamel. Floral and geometric motifs among which rises the horse, highly symbolic Chinese animal, often associated with the dragon. The extreme refinement of this composition pays tribute to the subtlety of this art.
View attachment 4333970
Love them all! What utterly magnificent silks! And, I’m glad that your posted LFaSdV since I don’t think anyone has this week and I was getting ready to do so myself

Is that the Opera Carolina Turandot? That was my first cw, bought for a slightly inflated price but still store fresh and with tags :smile: Love it and somehow never really use it because it doesn't seem to go with much in my wardrobe (think I need a new wardrobe?). The red was acquired from a fellow tpfer (thank you, sister in silk!). I would love to get @lanit's slate blue cw one day.
The salmon Turandot was my first CW crush of the design and I still long for it. If you should ever decide to re-home it, please let me know!

There are two Chinese sayings which refer to attaining success in life: 鱼躍龍門 referring to the fish which swims upstream and leaps over the dragon gate, transforming into a dragon and 飛上枝頭變凤凰 meaning the bird that alights on the highest branch, transforming into a phoenix. These were traditional designs for new year decorations when I was young.
So a touch of nostalgia in my SOTD A Contre Courant, and the carp churning in the waters as they compete for a chance to leap the gate in Ecume, plus a shot of my favourite design Mythiques Phoenix (rather an Occidental phoenix; for an Oriental-style phoenix, we'd have to look at Turandot :amuse: ).
View attachment 4333993
View attachment 4334001
What a great post, as always... The A Contre Courant is so dynamic and vibrant. One design that I lack and would love to have!

My only objection to this week's theme is that it was not inclusive of the subcontinents, regions, and cultures of Asian in the outline of theme weeks on the first page. That being said, everyone went above and beyond China/Japan and posted beautiful scarves featuring Tibet, Vietnam, Korea, and others.

Here's my Bengal Tyger from India via a British scarf artist, filtered through a French perspective:
View attachment 4334129
I doubled it up with my coaching jacquard because it's cold in the PNW!
I love the way the red jacquard echoes and complements the red flowers on the shawl... Gorgeous!

Do not rehome it, reconsider the way you wear it (it is a beauty!). Orange or some very bright colors make me look sick when worn around the neck, but I love an orange scarf worn as a belt with a navy dress. Or somewhere else a bit farther away from the face as a contrast. Here are two pictures I saved from this forum in my "best of" folder (just cannot remember who posted them)
View attachment 4334716 View attachment 4334717
What a fantastic way to wear it! I will remember this!

Continuing with the theme of the week, I realized I have not included one of my favorite designs i.e. Ex Libris en Kimonos. The design was taken directly from historical Kimono fabric patterns from the Matsuzakaya Kimono Museum in Japan. Hermes also issued a limited edition for the 400th anniversary of the Matsuzakaya.

My favorite part of the design is the crane.
View attachment 4334793 View attachment 4334794

Here is an article on The Legend of the Crane. I have included it here for easy reading.
Throughout all of Asia, the crane has been a symbol of happiness and eternal youth. In Japanese, Chinese, and Korean tradition, cranes stand for good fortune and longevity because of its fabled life span of a thousand years.

The Japanese refer to the crane as “the bird of happiness;” the Chinese as “heavenly crane” believing they were symbols of wisdom. The powerful wings of the crane were believed to be able to convey souls up to heaven and to carry people to higher levels of spiritual enlightenment.

Greek and Roman myth tended to portray the dance of cranes as a love of joy and a celebration of life. The crane was usually considered to be a bird of Apollo, the sun god, who heralded Spring.

Also another great article on Symbolism of the Crane can be read here.
Oh so wonderful!

Both amazing

Last edited:
I love it when we get to the point of wanting or needing to switch colors on a scarf we already have. There's a theme in here, I think.
I love it too! I believe it's when we become connoisseurs of H scarves that this happens. And we only become connoisseurs after we've purchased, and worn, a large number of scarves. Or, as a wise person once said, if you want to become a wine connoisseur, you must open many, many bottles of wine! :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.