Has anyone successfully removed (or had removed) links from a chain strap?

Mar 31, 2009
I recently purchased a gorgeous Bottega Veneta chain wallet and adore everything about it except the incredibly long strap length. I know that I could loop the strap under the flap or tie it together under the flap with ribbon as others have suggested for other chain bags, but I really love how the strap attaches to the bag--https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/bottega-veneta-bv-chain-wallet-review.990810/#post-32410668--and these options would destroy that. They also wouldn't produce the length that I'd really like.

So, my question is whether anyone has removed links from a chain strap, or had this one by someone else (a jeweler? or cobbler?), and if so, how it turned out? I asked a BV SA and she unhelpfully said that BV can't do this and that I should knot or loop the strap (growl), so clearly I'll have to look elsewhere for help, or return the bag :sad:. If you've had this done, please let me know how you did it, and whether you are happy with the results.

I recently purchased a gorgeous Bottega Veneta chain wallet and adore everything about it except the incredibly long strap length. I know that I could loop the strap under the flap or tie it together under the flap with ribbon as others have suggested for other chain bags, but I really love how the strap attaches to the bag--https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/bottega-veneta-bv-chain-wallet-review.990810/#post-32410668--and these options would destroy that. They also wouldn't produce the length that I'd really like.

So, my question is whether anyone has removed links from a chain strap, or had this one by someone else (a jeweler? or cobbler?), and if so, how it turned out? I asked a BV SA and she unhelpfully said that BV can't do this and that I should knot or loop the strap (growl), so clearly I'll have to look elsewhere for help, or return the bag :sad:. If you've had this done, please let me know how you did it, and whether you are happy with the results.
What Shelby33 said. If the loops are in tact (soldered closed) then it will be a little more difficult, but a jeweller should be able to do it with ease. If there is a small gap in each link, then it is super easy and anyone handy with a pair of pliers could do it (but protect the ends of pliers with something soft and only open the link as little as possible!)

Thank you, both. They are soldered. I will take it to a reputable jeweler.

What Shelby33 said. If the loops are in tact (soldered closed) then it will be a little more difficult, but a jeweller should be able to do it with ease. If there is a small gap in each link, then it is super easy and anyone handy with a pair of pliers could do it (but protect the ends of pliers with something soft and only open the link as little as possible!)

Mission accomplished. It was such a nothing task for the jeweler that he didn't want to charge me. I gave him something anyway because I'll be back with quite a few chain straps :smile:.

For anyone considering this, he did warn that there would be a tiny space between the one cut link, and recommended that this not be done for heavy bags.

It was the perfect solution for my chain wallet. Far better than a weird knot or awkward loop or tie under the flap.

Thank you, both. They are soldered. I will take it to a reputable jeweler.

Mission accomplished. It was such a nothing task for the jeweler that he didn't want to charge me. I gave him something anyway because I'll be back with quite a few chain straps :smile:.

For anyone considering this, he did warn that there would be a tiny space between the one cut link, and recommended that this not be done for heavy bags.

It was the perfect solution for my chain wallet. Far better than a weird knot or awkward loop or tie under the flap.

Glad it worked out for you! It's not too bad to keep one link cut, just in case you ever wanted to shorten/lengthen it again - but if you wanted to go the extra mile for a heavier bag, you could ask them to solder it closed and spot plate it... fair amount of work but it should look like "untouched" that way.

Reactions: jules 8